Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Windowpain

Multiplayer

What does id mean when they say they are focusing on a single player game? Will there still be multiplayer at all? Will there only be coop? Or only deathmatch?If they still have multiplayer I kind of think that they should make a limit on the number of people that can play. I get sick of having 50 people shooting and running around and getting fragged every 1/2 second. And if there is deathmatch, the game should come with a whole set of deathmatch levels. Bots would be cool too for both deathmatch and coop. Maybe there should be a way for people to turn bots on/off and that would effect the entire game. There would be more monsters and the mission would be totally different. That way the people who wanted to play the game like the original DooM (the feeling of being all alone) and the people who want to fight alongside other marines could have it the way they wanted.

Guest HWGuy

Hey. I'm a newbie, this is my first post here so feel free to flame me indiscriminately. I'd flame you if you were here and I was there.

Anyway,

I honestly think single player games are slowly fading into the past... name a game in the last year you remember not having multiplayer....

I think co-op is an awesome idea. The world has yet to see an awesome co-op fps. I'm getting sick of playing multiplayer games that are "team 1 vs team 2," etc.

id is making their best single-player game to date, though they aren't neglecting the multiplayer aspect of the game (well, that's the idea). No word on cooperative mode yet, though if they don't include it in the game, some mod team will.

Player limits can be set by the server. If you're running around in Q3DM4 with 35 people, the server is to blame, not the game.

HWGuy said:

Hey. I'm a newbie, this is my first post here so feel free to flame me indiscriminately. I'd flame you if you were here and I was there.

Anyway,

I honestly think single player games are slowly fading into the past... name a game in the last year you remember not having multiplayer....

I think co-op is an awesome idea. The world has yet to see an awesome co-op fps. I'm getting sick of playing multiplayer games that are "team 1 vs team 2," etc.

Alice, Undying, Deus Ex, Thief 1/2, System Shock 1/2, FAKK2, ...

And to come : SoF 2 (no mp on retail), Anachronox and who knows how many more games.

Single Player is not dying, that´s just a stupid idea, the result of having Q3A and UT releases altoghether. Tribes also contributes to this, so as PlanetSide and Halo. But that´s it (well, in the action genre, there are like 30 MMORPGs being developed).

Single players adds an unique flavor to the games. Look at DNF, Max Payne and others... what would they be without the single campaign? Pretty much mainstream shooters.

Since the media´s pretty much focused on the big games that I listed above (plus the eternal CS that I can´t seem to enjoy), pretty much the rest of the developer teams have selected singleplay as the strong feature for their next games.

Guest HWGuy

Ok, I see your point; but then I was thinking;

The games you mention are all "Action/Adventure" a sort of scripted rpgish fps... those titles actually have writers, and are well written (ok... they made a conscious effort)

In doom it's like... ooooh find the red keycard.
ooooh hell is attacking. Let's stop hell from attacking and killing us. Let's go to hell and kill hell. Let's come back and find earth destroyed, so we'll kill hell some more.

Putting a script to that won't be easy; there's not much plot to work with. Hell, demons, etc. But aside from that, nobody talks to you in Doom; there's only a bad narrative to fill in blanks.

(aside: by plot i mean "why you're killing people" by script I mean "ok what do we do next.. where do we go, etc.")

It'll be hard to stay faithful. Adding a script to doom IMHO would be like adding a script to a box of cornflakes... it's been fine without a script for years, why add one now? Just because all the new cereals have scripts? Really.

But on the other hand, Doom shouldn't just be House of the Dead; or some arcade style shooter, where you really don't have a plot.

It's going to be tough for iD: They can either make it like developers are making stuff, or stay faithful to Doom; I don't know all I can think of is either another Quake 1/2 game but with doom characters.

Damn this post is way to long and just gibberish.