Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Should Explosions be Sprites or Polygons??

If you can't tell the difference, Polygons were used to make the explosions in Quake 2, while Sprites (bitmaps) were used for explosions in pretty much every other game including Quake 3.

So which do you prefer? Personally, sprites are good, but from the looks of it, Doom 3 is going to have MASSIVE polycounts, allowing some very impressive looking things. These polygons could do some good justice to explosions, or weapon fire (like maybe plasma balls)

Any opinions?

Guest ikki

sprites will be kool

just imagine that whit the GEOFORCE 3

is true that there had been people testin' Q3 whit a geoforce 3?

I´ll choose polygons. The massive polycounts, combined with features like vertex shaders and the dyn lights should make the first believable 3D explosions. I can´t picture decals being used in such an important thing this time. I´m sick of clipped, small decals. If they wanna make big, realistic explosions, they need 3D.

Just take a look at Anachronox trailers, there are some very cool 3D explosions, and that´s a game were graphics aren´t exactly the main focus.

Guest c-d-w

The explosions from Kingpin own all. Bar_None.

Zaldron said:

I´ll choose polygons. The massive polycounts, combined with features like vertex shaders and the dyn lights should make the first believable 3D explosions. I can´t picture decals being used in such an important thing this time. I´m sick of clipped, small decals. If they wanna make big, realistic explosions, they need 3D.

Just take a look at Anachronox trailers, there are some very cool 3D explosions, and that´s a game were graphics aren´t exactly the main focus.

Serious sam's explosions ownz all explosions :-)

Guest Kracov

in Q3, there was a Simple Item option. if you selected it to ON, weapons and ammo would be sprites to ensure faster gameplay and multiplayer. so D3 should have this option.