Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maga

read.me

ok, I've got some technical questions and remarks.

you saw 3Dmark2001, right ? right.The "Matrix" scene, in particular. I've noticed that the pellets from the shotguns made some "dents" in the walls, no doubt 3D ones.

how can this be done ? real-time mesh modifying or something else ? do you think that this thing will be aplicable in Dooom 3 ?

be technical, i can take it !

I think the bullet holes were simply scripted, but would be nice to see that feature in doom3. It would give the guns a real sense of power and reality.

That's called tesselation. It's simply a boolean operation between the architecture and a little invisible sphere that spawns where the bullet hit. If you can do that in your engine, with little effort you can make realistic world destruction.

I don't know if this will be implemented in Doom3, afterall, DooM is about survival and horror, not demolishing.

it's possible, then, that with the sphere (boolean object) to simply destroy everyting ? you hit once, part of the wall dissapears, you hit once more, anothe part dissapears, and so on....if this is so simple why it hasn't been implemented on any game yet ?

The scene in question uses the Max Payne engine, so you can bet on this technology being in Max Payne. Though I think it does have its limits; you can't just go ahead and let people blow apart a level whenever and whereever they want to. And I'm not sure it's a thing I would like to see in DOOM, either.

The problem with that?

Easy, VISing calculations rely on the simple fact "Look dude, there are 20 walls between you and this room, I'm not gonna draw it, ok?".

But what happens when you CAN demolish those walls? Boom, VISing becomes useless, and everything must be rendered at the same time. You know how fast that is? Imagine, sometimes you barely scratch 60 fps by looking at certain room, now add ALL the other rooms beyond sight.

To implement this, you gotta use a 100% implemented Portal Scheme, that requires some thinking when designing levels. DOOM is gonna use this, but I haven't heard anything about breaking enviroments, not even Carmack mentioned that once.

You could always do limited destruction, yes, but it's not as effective as it could be.

Now, if you just want this for bullet dents, you can make a bumpmapped decal, it will even look better than a little dent in the wall lighted using gourad shading.

Oh, and Flathead, that thing is not on Max Payne, there was some talking about that some time ago. In Max they use decals as everyone. Why? Because one thing is that centralized minor destruction for a scripted cinematic, and other thing is letting the player break apart the VISing of the game.