Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Scariness

I just got through d/ling the Clive Barker's Undying demo. Dude, what a scary demo! Hopefully Doom3 will have this level of scariness!
You start off in the mansion, armed with a revolver of some sort and there's wind howling through the windows and a storm going on outside. You can hear ghosts rattling around in the house, and you can hear them giggling and laughing. The windows become possesssed, and shut themselves. A breeze will start blowing with the windows closed.You hear the cries of children(which is greatly disturbing) and you hear doors slamming and closing by themselves. Truely a scary little demo.

I second that.

I´d like to see a mod for DooM3 with the same theme Undying has. Just imagine those scary events COMBINED with moving shadows...

Guest 3dioot

So its definately worth the download? =/

I was in doubt about wether or not i should download it (takes a looong time). And i havent seen it on the cover cd of any game mags either.. Grmbl.. =]

I wont dont think ill be able to resist the temptation of downloading it much longer.. Must.. Resist.. Must.. *Argl* ;]

GrtZ 3dioot

hey, Undying is worth a download...it has a very good
scary feeling in it....
Go for it...tell me if u like it !

Nice demo, but the demo file is to big compared to the few maps:(
I hope , and think the gameplay of doom 3 will be better though:)
Cause the demo looks great, but it just doesnt "feel" right though.

3dioot said:

So its definately worth the download? =/

I was in doubt about wether or not i should download it (takes a looong time). And i havent seen it on the cover cd of any game mags either.. Grmbl.. =]

I wont dont think ill be able to resist the temptation of downloading it much longer.. Must.. Resist.. Must.. *Argl* ;]

GrtZ 3dioot

Believe me, even though the download is big, it's definetly worth it.

Undying is scary for about the first half. After you get to Onieros for the second time it stops being so. If you ask me the shield spell at max strength made the game FAR too easy. But anyway, this game suffered the same fate as System Shock 2. It starts out terribly frightening, but towards the end fear is less focused on as plain difficulty rises (or lessens)and the enemies are just not frightening. The level design of the later levels doesn't help much either. Too much lack of realism. There has to be SOME semblance of reality for a player to connect to for fear to work. You have to convince them to immerse themselves in the game; the view of an outsider is much less fearfull. SS2's 'inside the alien's body' levels and Undying's 'pseudo-Turok' levels did not achieve this at all.
I want Doom to be scary, but I want it to be scary throughout. I don't want the fear effect to fall apart once (if) you get to Hell.