Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PainElemental

DooM3 HalfLife like???

Well, I know this is already being posted before, but I want to post it one more time;)))

Hmmm, it was a time ago I watched the DooM3 movie...But I have the strange feeling it's too much HalfLife like. Now, look at this basis stuff. Ok, there were such things in DooM1&2, but come on... If that doesn't remind you of HL, then you've never played it or you forgot about it, cause the fucking game SUX!

I've nothing against scariness and such stuff, but that wasn't the main thing in DooM. It was the endless action, especially on higher skills. But since DooM3 will have such detailed poly models, it is almost impossible to have 20-30 enemies on the screen at the same time.

Another thing that's worrying me is that there possibly won't be a Rocket Launcher in DooM3. Hmmm... That's going to be a serios shame for id, since the RL was in every previous id game.

And last but not least Carmack himself said that DooM3's gonna have many HL elements in it....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

id stop it! Don't do such shit!!!

PainElemental said:

Another thing that's worrying me is that there possibly won't be a Rocket Launcher in DooM3

Graeme Devine said that about Quest, the Massively Multiplayer game id were planning on making before Doom. It certainly does NOT reflect on Doom.

And when did Carmack say Doom3 will have many Half-Life elements ?

PainElemental said:

but come on... If that doesn't remind you of HL, then you've never played it or you forgot about it, cause the fucking game SUX!

I disagree. I loved HalfLife.
It's one of the most interesting games i've ever played. But Doom just shouldn't be like HL. I wouldn't worry about it though. I think ID software knows what they're doing...

Lord FlatHead said:

Graeme Devine said that about Quest, the Massively Multiplayer game id were planning on making before Doom. It certainly does NOT reflect on Doom.And when did Carmack say Doom3 will have many Half-L

What??? They're planning to do another MP game before DooM? Do you have any info on it?

Well, I can't remember exactly, but he said it once... I'm absolutely sure.

Nonono, listen to what I'm saying. After Quake 3 was finished, Graeme Devine and John Carmack started thinking about doing a different style of game. Its working title was Quest, and it was going to be a Massively Multiplayer game like Everquest or Ultima Online. That's why Devine said "the next game will not have rocket launchers".

But obviously id ditched that project and instead settled for a new Doom game.

HalfLife-like scripted sequences and well realized, progressing story: YES!
Everything else HalfLife-like (setting, weapons, enemies, athmosphere...): NO!

Lord FlatHead said:

Nonono, listen to what I'm saying. After Quake 3 was finished, Graeme Devine and John Carmack started thinking about doing a different style of game. Its working title was Quest, and it was going to be a Massively Multiplayer game like Everquest or Ultima Online. That's why Devine said "the next game will not have rocket launchers".

But obviously id ditched that project and instead settled for a new Doom game.

In response to the Half-Life thing: Halflife Rules!
A doom game with those story elements = Very COOL
Also Scripted sequences between marines and monster would be Cool

Here is a thought: Half-Life Similar to DOOM = YES!

Both games are set in an experiment that went horribly wrong. Both had monsters from other dimensions and were scary.
In different ways of course but still scary and surprising!

Although I do Have to admit there was a massive time difference.

Both Characters fought to survive the mess.
Only Difference was that Doomguy = Marine, Gordon = Scientist

Both travelled to different dimensions and are left there.
(If you don't agree watch HL's Ending again)

Antoher difference was the weapons of course, actually no..............
Both Had Pistol.
Both had Shotgun.
Both had a form of Chain gun. (Hl's was the MP5)
Both had A Rocket Launcher (different styles of course)
Both had Energy weapons
-----Doom---------------
---------Plasma Rifle---
---------BFG------------
-----Half Life----------
---------Gauss----------
---------Egon-----------
Looking Familiar yet?

Gordan WAS alone the Scientists and Barneys were not that helpfull.
And Here is the Kicker> Gabe Newell was quoted as once saying
"I wanna make an updated doom style game"

You may not agree but you don't have to reply to this.

I personally can't wait to see how that turns out to be. If id makes the right move, they'll dominate the technical, artistic and design areas on FPS gaming... they just need that design aspect worked out. And this is the first time I see they´re worried about it.

Guest Epistax

ok i'll just randomly add a doom 3 wish.

some weapons should have more than one fire method such in other games. faster fire / less accurate, bigger bolts / slower reload, etc, however zoom aiming should be avoided, as targeted shots is completely undoom. :)

The question is... what things can be left "DooMish" like, without making the game look like setted in a retarded future?

Example :

Private - "Sir. There's a problem with my combat suit"
Sergeant - "What is it, soldier!?"
Private - "Well sir... I can't look up or down!"
Sergeant - "That´s how the UAC Army wants it soldier, now MOVE!!"

Unless UAC armies promote the motto "Scopes are for sissies", I don´t know why the hell humanity would ditch one of the most efective aiming-assist tools out there...

Doom3, a "Me too" Halflife type game? Oh god I hope not!

Zaldron said:

Private - "Well sir... I can't look up or down!"Sergeant - "That´s how the UAC Army wants it soldier, now MOVE!!"

LOL! But at least you can run arround in high speed without making a single noise, with that...strange retro suits :)

Run like a madman, but you can't step over a slighty higher elevation. Jump? Now THAT'S for sissies!!

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

The question is... what things can be left "DooMish" like, without making the game look like setted in a retarded future?

Example :

Private - "Sir. There's a problem with my combat suit"
Sergeant - "What is it, soldier!?"
Private - "Well sir... I can't look up or down!"
Sergeant - "That´s how the UAC Army wants it soldier, now MOVE!!"

Unless UAC armies promote the motto "Scopes are for sissies", I don´t know why the hell humanity would ditch one of the most efective aiming-assist tools out there...

No no, not aiming up and down, aimed shots as in more damage to head, nads.

Bah, it was just an example, I know what you mean... :)

The point of the topic was "What stays without looking cheap by today standards"

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

Run like a madman, but you can't step over a slighty higher elevation. Jump? Now THAT'S for sissies!!

You should obviously be able to climb over elevations that are less than an arm reach above you, i agree there. Then for higher elevations you should be able to jump and grab. The problem with this is the sprites.

Lord FlatHead said:

Graeme Devine said that about Quest, the Massively Multiplayer game id were planning on making before Doom. It certainly does NOT reflect on Doom.

And when did Carmack say Doom3 will have many Half-Life elements ?

Actually, he said that their next game wouldn't have a rocket launcher, he never mentioned Quest, although that is the game ID were _supposedly_ working on at the time he said it.

However, knowing ID and their secrecy, it could be that they'd already scrapped Quest and had moved on to Doom by then.

Besides, from what we can see and have heard of the new game, it's going to be very Aliens like, and with a couple of exceptions Aliens isn't exactly known for its huge expansive areas; a rocket launcher in Aliens would be rather obsolete, as it would probably kill the person who fired it.

You speak as if 99% of people hate Half-life. Wrong. 99% of people LOVE half-life. You are one of the few people who don't.

ID are not going to make a game for that 1% of people, they're going to make it for the 99%

And Doom wasn't primarily about action anyway. If you'd have wanted that at the time of Doom's original release, you might as well have stuck with Wolfenstein. No, Doom was most definately about the atmosphere.

Have you never heard anyone talk about that "Doom feeling?" when you first saw an Imp, or just about crapped yourself when, for the first time ever, you heard a Baron of Hell roar at you in E1M8? Then there's the sense of absolute isolation as well.

There's also the fact that the vast majority of Doom level designers nowadays (including myself) create the levels and then concentrate on the enemy layout, i.e. they're more concerned about the environment and how things look than the actual gameplay. And I'm sure most people will agree that some of these levels are by far superior to the original ID levels.

True, there are numerous add-ons for Doom and Doom 2 that focus on action, such as Hell Revealed, but contrary to popular belief, there aren't actually any situations in the original ID levels where you find yourself up against fifty enemies at one time.

Basically, FPS's are going in two directions. The Action FPS, which you so love, is now confined to multi-player titles. If you want to play this kind of thing, you stuck with Counter-Strike and the like I'm afraid.

Single player FPS's, on the other hand, are gaining more and more features that used to be exclusive to RPGs and adventures, such as inventories, friendly characters, scripted sequences/cut-scenes, etc.

Face it, a game with the gameplay of Doom aimed at single player audiences just wouldn't sell these days, and while I'm sure ID would love to make the perfect game, their ultimate priority is sales figures.

Tetzlaff said:

LOL! But at least you can run arround in high speed without making a single noise, with that...strange retro suits :)

also, have you noticed that you can start up a chainsaw and nobody notices, but if you punch the air, everyone hears it.

=P