Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Doom's AI

I don't know what about you guys but AI was never id's strong side...
I am kinda worried about the monsters and characters AI...
Especially since Jan Paul Van Waveren is working on it...
His latest AI system (Quake 3: Team Arena) while impressive, wasn't as good as in UT (I am talking about the bots).
I know that "Doom" will be id's biggest and baddiest game yet and for now everything seems to be going the right path.
I sure hope the AI system is completely rewritten and Jan Paul has learned from his mistakes.
That's about the only thing that worries me about "The New Doom".

P.S
Carmack and Dose, keep a good eye on waveren's work!

Guest Dark_Fox

Personally I believe if Carmack and Co. put forth a real effort they could pull off a decent AI script.. but that still uncharted territory for the 3D god.. If they could topple UT's awesome AI, I would truely bow down and pay homage.. =P

The same here,I think they can do it and still do a good job and they probarbly will.I believe they can pull it off easily if they put there heart and souls into it(no pun intended).
If they do that would be awsome,if they dont that would be awsome,as long as DOOM3 is out and here for a true DOOMER such as me and many others at this forum and elsewhere.

Well, here's the deal.

First than all, the AI approach is different now. It's not "behave like human", but "behave like a monster, realistically".

Bots know how to drive around levels without colliding with the surroundings, that's good. With a few touches, you have a navigational system capable of tracking you down, no matter how much you run.

Each AI depends in the theorical behavior of each enemy type. That's archieved by combining mainstream behavior, where you can edit certain "skills", and a couple of sequences solely designed for each monster.

For example, thanks to skeletal animation, it's easy to adopt "evasive maneuvers" in all the creatures. Of course, there should be a variable that defines how prone to dodge X kind of monster is. Same would happen with stuff like : agresiveness, hiding, dodging, hunting skill, cowardy, wounds effec, etc, etc...

Believe me people, we'll see few monsters per sec in DooM3. I'm sure id's cooking a sharp AI. Never judge a SP AI based on a MP AI done previously, they're too different, at least for the time being.

But Zaldron, previous id games ALSO suck in the AI department!

Guest Dark_Fox

Children, we can suck laterz =P

Dima said:

But Zaldron, previous id games ALSO suck in the AI department!

You really think so?

Let see. We have DooM AI, wich is dumb, right, but FPS AI was a concept too CPU-intensive then. Graphic calc/rendering is still the heaviest computation in games, and that won't change until T&L becomes a standard.

Quake 1 had a very nice AI. Not because the creatures were able to think in a smart way, but because their attacks were combined in a succesful way with the AI. Remember the Fiend, with it's cumbersome attack, the Shambler with his instantaneous lighting bolt, the Vore with the homing projectile. You don't need a superAI to make hard enemies.

Quake 2 had a pretty good AI too. Most people think Half-Life AI is really great. Allow me to laugh :

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!1111

It was all scripted. Scripting all over the place. You can beat 4 marines with the crappy pistol easily. Just run the tutorial map of Worldcraft (the small warehouse).

Q3A bots, while not perfect, are one of the hardest enemies to fight. I can frag Xaero 3 times in Nightmare, and that's it. That's harder than most of my friends...

I'll say it again. Don't judge id by their previous games. Now that I think about it, you can't do it with ANY developers...

Yeah, the focus will definitely be different this time.

I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised with the AI in Doom 3. Just remember that we're not talking about bots here. The real focus should be on making the enemies behave like vicious, bloodthirsty, reasonably intelligent animals, rather than sprinting traffic cones who fire rail guns with disgusting accuracy.
After all, seeing a demon cautously walk around, sniff some dead imp, then spot you, start snarling, and launch itself at you, makes for alot more atmosphere than killing the imp, hearing the classic demon alert sound, then turning the corner to see a demon charging around in circles.

Trust me, it'll be good. =)

Worry not, Dima, 'cause the GF3 should not only be able to handle graphics and such related things sharply, it should also be able handle the AI quite good, too.
If Doom3's going to be more realistic, it better have actually smart creatures. No more of this "BullDog Demon sees you and then starts running in circles."