Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Outdoors and terrain?

If u played Tribes or Tribes 2, you know how kewl terrain can look. Also as I recall, Quake 3 Team Arena has some terrain maps aswell. So do u guys think Doom 3 should have large outdoor areas aswell? I think a perfect mix between outdoors, and indoors would be perfect.

I'm not sure if open enviroments would be of any good. It would be a nice add for those who are going to edit the game, but implementing it in the game?

DooM 1/Ultimate had more claustrophobic enviroments than DooM 2, and it managed to get better scores in the "level design" department.

I do agree with you, Zal, but in a way, I kinda like the out doorsey levels a bit better after playing 60 levels of cluastraphobia, lol...

Zaldron said:

I'm not sure if open enviroments would be of any good. It would be a nice add for those who are going to edit the game, but implementing it in the game?

DooM 1/Ultimate had more claustrophobic enviroments than DooM 2, and it managed to get better scores in the "level design" department.

If you ask me, Episode 1 wasn't very claustrophobic. It just felt abandoned... less overrun and more like something just scared everyone away. Episode 2 and 3, even with the larger outdoor areas, felt more claustrophobic and hopeless. Thy Flesh Consumed was not very claustrophobic either.
Anyway, as to the subject, I wouldn't mind seeing some nice terrain environments, just as long as they don't seem out of place. Perhaps you are let out onto the planet surface (assuming that there is one) for a break from the cramped station feel.
But then again... how cramped should the stations be? The video showed what was most likely a ship, and I doubt that a space station, especially a research station would be extremely cramped.

Guest Zchingo

Dark room............flashing lights.............'nuff said.

Guest Medieval Gnome

rivers of blood ........... hailstorms of condemed souls ............ ground trying to eat you ............ 'nuff said

I,ve been saying that for the longest!!!!
1.Close Quarter areas,space stations,moon bases,industrail envirements.
2.Big wide open areas for"Hell on Earth"levels, ruined post
Apocalypic city areas like "HUE CITY" in the war movie "Full
Metal Jacket". or that old Tv movie"The DAY After".

Jeremy said:

I do agree with you, Zal, but in a way, I kinda like the out doorsey levels a bit better after playing 60 levels of cluastraphobia, lol...

I'm all for claustrophobia. If they want to do BIG courtyards, or large city levels, that's fine. But rolling hills that extend for miles and miles?? Why would we need that?

Never associate "Outdoor" with "Terrain".

A Mars canyon level would be cool, with caves and subterrean facilities. And maybe something bizarre like the surface of that asteroid in the "Armageddon" movie (with Bruce Willis).

Hell environment should be more "in-door", and I hope I will see some neo-gothic architecture :)

/me thinks it over. OK, sounds cool.
I think that the bases should be big enough so that you would be exploring them for hours, maybe days, and that the terrain should be varied and full of interesting things such as craters, valleys, canyons, maybe a couple of remote nuclear waste facilities, defense stations-pretty much everything you would expect to see on a colonized Mars of the 24th-25th century.