Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

What a co-incodent

I find it quit interesting... Back in 1992, Wolfenstein came out, and then the following year, a game came out with way better graphics..this game was Doom. Do you think were living in a giant loop? lol. It seems that RTCWolfenstein is gonna come out, and a year after that, a game with way better graphics will come out... this game is Doom3 >:D Hehe. Any way, we made thousands of comments about D3, so whatta ya Doom-goers think about RTCW??

Guest Zchingo

I hear id is NOT making RTCW; despite that, I still wanna try it out when the time comes. Smart enemies is something I've never seen in a game before. The day has finally arrived..............

They did pretty decent "AI" with the scripting in Half Life, but you're right, there's hardly any games who have good baseline AI for their characters.

I would say that it will be a very long time before games stop advancing. What interrests me is the reversion to the classics. At this point almost any older game can be found on the internet, and people suck them up. It's surprising to find out how many people actually choose to play the classics despite the heavily outdated graphics. But, then again, I guess we can all relate.
It leaves the question of whether such games could make a market comeback. Do you ever wonder if the newfound freedom in our abilty to create worlds within a game have really caused us to lose our freedom to make something that stands out?

Lüt said:

They did pretty decent "AI" with the scripting in Half Life, but you're right, there's hardly any games who have good baseline AI for their characters.

I love the AI in Undying.

Hell, I was impressed with the AI in Turok 2. Some enemies ran behind boxes, jumping up to fire. On the N64? It was pretty sweet.

I also find it interesting as well.When Wolfenstein came out it was good and people probarbly thought "wow! Realistic graphics!".Than a year later, Doom came out"Wow,awsonme graphics and AI," and people would say "Wolfensteins graphics suck",compared to DOOM.

Personnaly I think this will go on and on,advancing technologys wont stop for a long time,just look at DOOM 3's tech demo!

i guess history repeats itself...or is it all some kind of sinister plot hatched by john carmack?

deadnail said:

I love the AI in Undying.

Hell, I was impressed with the AI in Turok 2. Some enemies ran behind boxes, jumping up to fire. On the N64? It was pretty sweet.

Oh, but never confuse scripted events, pure AI behavior and buoyance nodes.

I'm hoping for MoH, RTCW and SoF2 AI. Specially SoF2's, cause this time they have 2 programmers graduated in AI development.

Oh, I'm specifically talking about the green 'Endtrails' from Turok 2. There are three types. Stationary ones placed in sniper points that shoot you like crazy. Blind attackers that are placed in groups and do not give up until dead. Loners that will hide behind almost anything and use it for cover while they return fire. I remember injuring one and chasing it all the way around a huge rock about three times before I finally got to shoot it again. The coward. =)

I'm not confusing scripts in Undying, though. The scripts are cool, but I love how some of the enemies face you down.

Zaldron said:

buoyance nodes

I know where I'm gonna stick those if you don't stop speaking Carmack.

Explain yourself.

You can see those in Heretic II. They're points in the level where the enemies CAN freely walk. Instead of doing complex collision calcs while pursuing you, they're aided by this nodes, making their paths less fucked up.

They can also be used for scripting, you know, when player triggers this you must run from there to here, blah, blah, etc, etc...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein looks like it will be insane fun. It has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on ANY video game system.
Doom3 will be just like it in the graphics and fun department, except waaaayyyyy better. /me crosses my fingers