Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amanichen

Impact of Doom 3...

I hope this hasn't been discussed before.

I'm just curious as to what predictions you have for the following questions...

1. What do you think the Impact of Doom 3 will be?

2. Will it be a 6 month to 1.5 year craze, or will it have longevity like the original?

3. Will it's wide popularity spawn a situation similar to the one surrounding the release of the original? (where all the dilettantes who downloaded the shareware version thought they were hardcore gamers and dedicated Doom fans)

4. Will the media give it as much attention as the original?

5. Will the masses know about it when it comes out because the media is hyping about something that they themselves never even knew about until it was released, or before it is released?

I have no idea if this has been posted before.

1.The impact of Doom 3 will probarbly be quite massive and it just may change the face of the gaming industry!

2.Maybe it will be as long the first Doom,possibly if not i'd still play it.

3.I think it will be more so,and spawn similar to the release of the original!

4.Maybe,maybe not,cause all the school shootings.But personally it will get good media,maybe not as much as the original but who knows.

5.Hell I dont know,time will tell.

1) Less of an impact than the original.
2) Less longevity then the original. Maybe even less longevity than Half-Life has displayed.
3) Huh?
4) No.
5) Uh, it will be hyped, I guess.

1. OK, market sales will be huge, no matter what reviews say. For one part, this is gonna be "id's next dm experience" for a lot of guys out there. The modding community will undoubtely fall in here, just imagine what you can do with the lighting...
If everything goes right, SP players will find this one a marvelous game. I pretty much think every FPS hardcore gamer out there will buy this one.

The impact of DooM3 will be, no matter what, inferior to the old DooMs. DooM3's a hardcore game, you can see that trend in every shooter out there. Back when the "gaming community" didn't existed, Wolfenstein and DooM where mainstream games, everyone had them cause it made you look "cool".
I personally think this game will never be better than DooM 1 (relative comparation), but undoubtely better than DooM 2...

2. You bet, it's gonna be huge. I'm sure the big chunk of people will be found in the UA-CORP forums (if any), but just think how big is the Half-Life crowd : enough to fill up a bunch of sites.

I personally think it will last, a lot. DooM 3 will never be match DooM1/2 longevity, just because DooM's a cult object.
There will be a lot of games using the engine, but since id's first incarnation of this engine will be a lot sooner than the rest, the modding community will stick to this one. The modders are basically found in HL, Unreal and Quake games.
We have the power to make real-time CGI like games, who wouldn't want to learn to mod?

3. I don't think so. But it's hard to say, "hardcore" is a very bizarre concept, and most of the time it doesn't make sense. Sometimes I'm ashamed of belonging to this group. I'm sure this one will bring a lot of 12-years old, just like the old DooM's did with us. Sadly, this time there's a bunch of older people who'll start bitching while online gaming.

4. That's impossible. Remember, the media does not even know that DooM II or Final DooM or DooM64 exists...they just know "DooM" the cult object. As the first true FPS, no game will ever match his status. That doesn't mean x game is worse than DooM...

5. If by masses you mean "mainstream" gamers, I think they'll stick to the Sims and who knows what else. Mainstream gamers or "suposedly cool people" may have never beat DooM on any difficulty setting above the first one, and FPSs have gotten more and more complex since then. I can't even begin to imagine how would I explain Deus Ex to a 50 years old Flight Sim player or something...

Linguica said:

1) Less of an impact than the original.
2) Less longevity then the original. Maybe even less longevity than Half-Life has displayed.
3) Huh?
4) No.
5) Uh, it will be hyped, I guess.

you sound so enthusiastic.

by the way...

"dilettante" referrs to a person who is only a "dabbler," or "minor participator" in an activity that others are very dedicated to.

(I used that word to describe the people who had the episode 1 on shareware and considered themselves to be serious doom fans, when in reality most were not.)

to correct you a "tyro" is an uneducated amateur.

If you respond back, then I'm not going to continue this though...it's becoming rather pointless.