Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Speculation on the specs

Do you think Doom 3 (or whatever it will be called) will run well on the following system?

P3 1GHZ

256MB SDRAM (ONE SLOT)

CREATIVE ANNIHILATOR PRO (GEFORCE DDR)

SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE

That system looks like a good bet, except for the video card.

You'll probably need at least a GeForce 3(the GeForce 2 has some vertex and pixel shading hardware, but I don't think it's powerful enough for the complex scenes in Doom 3).

I swear, as far as marketing goes, iD sells more video cards than Nvidia does. ^__^

It could run.

I don't know why you're gonna bother planning a next-gen gaming rig before the next-gen games come out though.

Shit yeah, that would run it. Keep in mind a GeForce 3 card is not required, even though it's supported. Since the GeForce 3 is not available to many people due to cost, I honestly believe that iD will recognize this and will have options for lower-rated systems, keeping it at Q3A-type graphics at the very worst. I think the absolute minimum requirements will be a PentiumII 650Mhz CPU, 128 MB of RAM, 32 MB AGP Pro video card, and 36x CD-ROM. Of course, everything must be DirectX compliant.

Speaking of specs, I seriously need an upgrade. There's no way Doom 3 will run on a 500Mhz AMD K6-2, even with 288 MB of RAM and a 32 MB TNT2 Mach64 Pro. Pretty sad, huh?

------------

It's a good spec, except for the video card.

Remember people, NOTHING below GeForce3.

Lüt said:

It could run.

I don't know why you're gonna bother planning a next-gen gaming rig before the next-gen games come out though.

yeah, liek ive been saying, wati until the game scome out. by then the top stuff now will be really cheap adnoutdated, but everything will still run on it decently.

Lüt said:

It could run.

yeah, liek ive been saying, wati until the game scome out. by then the top stuff now will be really cheap adnoutdated, but everything will still run on it decently.

Having done extensive reading on video cards, I'd say that the video card you described won't cut it.

You'd need at least a GeForce 2 GTS (The MX probably won't cut it), and even then you would want to beef up the cooling system and overclock the MotherF-er.

A Ge 2 Pro (overclocked), or Ge 2 Ultra (overclocked) should give pretty good performance at the cost of a few fancy features exclusive to the GeForce 3.

I did read about one guy who re-did the cooling system on his Hercules Ge 2 Ultra and overclocked it. The result:

GPU speed at shipment: 220 MHz
GPU after overclocking: 250 MHz

DDR at shipment: 366 MHz
DDr after overclocking: 450 MHz

Impressive, No? That alone in my mind would make the Ge 2 Ultra an extremely viable (and soon to be less expensive) alternative to spendin the $450-$600 (dependin on where u shop) price tag on the GeForce 3.

masterhassan said:

echo...echo...echooo

Zaldron said:

So you think the above system with a Geforce 3 equipped will run Doom 3 at a good frame rate?
If so, what is your guess?

hey, I doubt that even a Geforce3 will be enough to play Doom3 at max detail....

care anyone to explain how those "20 passes per pixel" will look like ? I mean, how many passes can a GF3 do per clock ?

Wel the demonstration at MacWorld was run on a Macintosh with a GeForce3 in it and it ran smooth at a decent resolution (640x480 at the very least) with shadows, bumpmaps and who knows what else on. A GeForce3 won't get the 100+ fps speeds some of us have grown accustomed to in games like Quake 3, but with some tweaking it should run the game perfectly well.

Dima said:

So you think the above system with a Geforce 3 equipped will run Doom 3 at a good frame rate?
If so, what is your guess?

If the G4 runs the demo ok, and Carmack says he gets better performance in a PC, and it's still a tech test without all the optimizations, yeah, I guess it should run smooth. Nothing over 75 fps on 640x480 in my opinion...

Nice...
Guess it's time to start saving money for a Geforce 3!

Zaldron said:

Now why the hell does everybody say that?! "Nothing below a Geforce 3." "Current video cards won't run it." Do you guys think iD is really that STUPID???

If they made the game to require a GeForce 3 just to run it, they won't sell it very well! And the worst thing for a company to do is spend millions of dollars building a game that almost nobody buys!

If you looked at my post below, you would see that I pointed out it is quite possible to have a game like this run on a GeForce 2 card. The reason being is that in order to sell this game, iD would have to address the fact that not everybody has an above average system. If you've ever noticed the trend among game development, the ones that sell the most are the games that are able to be run on an average system of the time at the beginning of development.

And by the way, bumpmaps and pixel shaders don't absolutely have to be implemented to have a very enjoyable and satisfying gaming experience. Yes it would be nice, but it is going to be a VERY long time before bumpmap and pixel shader capability is standard.

Again, these are my proposed specs for minimum requirement:

-PentiumII 650Mhz CPU
-128 MB of RAM
-32 MB GeForce 2 DDR (Pro, GTS or Ultra model)
-36x CD-ROM

/me dons a Nomex suit and awaits the flames
---------------

Lord FlatHead said:

Wel the demonstration at MacWorld was run on a Macintosh with a GeForce3 in it and it ran smooth at a decent resolution (640x480 at the very least) with shadows, bumpmaps and who knows what else on. A GeForce3 won't get the 100+ fps speeds some of us have grown accustomed to in games like Quake 3, but with some tweaking it should run the game perfectly well.

Who is to say that the demonstration at MacWorld was in-engine and not just a video? There was quite obviously a Mac mouse cursor on the screen, and I can't imagine why Carmack would have coded that in.

I kinda believe Carmack's speech...you know..."Everything here is done in real time, there's no special tricks going on".

The mouse on the screen is just a minor secondary effect. That demo was just a scripted camera, I'm sure whatever API invokes controllers in MacOSX wasn't being used.

Necromancer said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Im sorry, but no.

If you want the truth, go read Carmack's .plan file. Everything's there.

Necromancer said:

I agree with Zaldron!!
Ecen Team Arena would run slow on this system!

Necromancer said:

Actually, I think the even that video card spec is a tad high. I guess it boils down to what kind of speed and resolution combination the player thinks they have to have. Personally, I'm quite happy with about 24fps for a single player game, if the visual quality is really good.

I don't know if Carmack has said anything different since then, but in his QC2000 talk, he goes on about old cards like Voodoo3 and Voodoo5, and how they'll play on the new engine. He said that they'll be a mode where there won't be any Dot3 or cubic environment mapping requirements, and the game will still play. Even the shadows will be there (they might look crappy, but they'll be there in real time).

This really isn't that far off the mark. I have an old ATI Expert card on my system (16MB), and can run that shadowmapping demo by NVidia at reasonable framerates. This seems very similar to the technique that Carmack is using to do his shadows. And that's just a hacked together demo, with no real optimizations.

Also, cards like the Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 are supposed to be able to work with the new engine, but without bumpmapping or cubic-env effects.

Just personally, I'll probably see what I can get out the game with a GF2 MX card, before I commit buying anything much more expensive.