Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

VR and Doom ]I[

I hope there will be VR goggles compatable with this game. The graphics and bump mapping will be so good, it would be like real life. Your brain would probably get tricked into thinking its really happening {dont get shot in the nuts :)}.

BTW, I was at CVS Pharmacy the other day, and I saw some gay package full of toy marine looking people {and a motorcycle}, and there was the Doom Marine! Its about 8 or 9 inches tall, and looks EXACTLY like the marine from Doom! Same mask and every thing! Just look for a big package that has about five 8 in. dudes in it with a motor cycle below it :) -Jeremy

What I mean is, it's very unlikely someone should be able to set this up. I mean, that over-hyped VR equipment costs a fortune and even then, the game isn't designed to take advantage of it so it wouldn't work properly.

It would be cool though, especially with other realistic touches like 3D sound.

Hmmm......interesting idea, there. The game should look absolutely phenomonal without VR Goggles, just imagine the game WITH them...
/me starts drooling over the thought

I believe Tim Sweeney said it once. All VR equipment suck, and they suck hard. Expensive, crappy and unsupported.

As soon as some genius come up with a marvelous new VR system, I'm sure developers will start designing their games around this system, but I'm sure we'll have to wait some more years for that.

You can get yourself some nice VR goggles that will work with ANY game in Direct 3D. They cost under $500 and they've been available for over a year for God's sake, and they work great with all existing games (that support Direct 3D... but which game doesn't?).

Of course, seeing the polygonal characters in front of the monitor and right in your damn face would get annoying to me, what with diving under the desk and all.

Oh, you say "Incompatible with Quake 3 Arena" like it's a bad thing... that must be one helluva skill... how do you do it?

It certainly would be a trip to play Doom3 with GOOD VR glasses.

Unfortunately, all the ones I've seen cost too damn much, and don't even support popular APIs like openGL, or even D3D.

On a side-note, I saw an article about a nifty device that you can stick on the back of your head while using goggles, and it emulates mouse movement based on the movement of your head. Of course, it probably wouldn't work that well in practice, but it's a cool idea.

no comment on the VR, but i've seen those toys at gas stations and 7-11...they were'nt quite that tall, but they did have a lame motorcycle...

deadnail said:

Oh, you say "Incompatible with Quake 3 Arena" like it's a bad thing... that must be one helluva skill... how do you do it?

OK, so far you can't play Quake, Hexen II, SiN, Half-Life, Quake 2, Heretic II, SoF, Q3A, Elite Force, Alice, SoF 2, MoH, Jedi Knight II, DooM 3 and who knows what else...

Yeah, like I'm going to spend $800 to play Unreal-engined games...bah.

Lord FlatHead said:

What I mean is, it's very unlikely someone should be able to set this up. I mean, that over-hyped VR equipment costs a fortune and even then, the game isn't designed to take advantage of it so it wouldn't work properly.

It would be cool though, especially with other realistic touches like 3D sound.

I used to play Heretic with VR goggles, it ruled. You could even do the look up/down with them. There's no way they could have gotten worse since then.

Linguica said:

So you wouldn't like to play Doom 3 with VR goggles? I know I would.

I mean, if the goggles simulate mouse mvmnt, and it wearing goggles would make it seem like your there.. wow. But they need somthing to go on your legs to simulate walking, just to make it all the more realistic :)