Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Spirits, ghosts, and all things evil

This is not about any blasted weaons or demons. Instead, it's about sound. Sound, you say. Yes, sound. I'm thinking about sound in terms of "hear a sound behind you, turn around-nothing there", sort of sound. Imagine: You're inside a darkened base, and you don't hear anything except for the beeping of the nearby computers. "Beep....Beep...Beep..." You think you hear the sound of boots scuffing on the floor, but when you wheel around-nothing. The lights buzzing incessantly. Your own breathing. You hear a slight noise behind you, but you dismiss it as nothing more than a figment of your over-worked imagination. Then the noise becomes unmistakable-it's the sound of a demons claws scratching across the floor towards you...
I think it'd be really cool to have stuff like in the next Doom game. Sound should play a HUGE role in scaring the tar out of you.

You´re right, sound is one of the key features to create a new Doom athmosphere. Even in the old Doom games sound played a very important role. The pneumatic screeching of the doors, the distant and suddenly closer growling of the monsters, the firing noise of the plasma gun, that all was essential to Doom. And, as you describe, there are much more possibilities to enhance the dramatic aspects with a subtle use of sounds in certain situations.

Spline based sound entity trajectories. That might mean nothing to you, but I can assure you it's a whole new level of sound engines in games. Devine confirmed those in QuakeCon...

Zaldron said:

Spline based sound entity trajectories. That might mean nothing to you, but I can assure you it's a whole new level of sound engines in games. Devine confirmed those in QuakeCon...

Your search - "Spline based sound entity trajectories" - did not match any documents.

Guest Blynd Syde

I also think sound should play a big role in the next doom game.

Tetzlaff said:

What does it do?

It means id can pull out special entities that emit sound and move across the game world just as you want. The possibilities are endless, linear trajectories, spiral-like, curves across the 3 dimensions, a mix of those. Scripted movement just like in 3D modelling packages. Now imagine the dynamic changes of the sound(s) thanks to EAX or OpenAL...

If someone here played Thief II mission "Casing the joint" knows *EXACTLY* what kind of spooky stuff they can do...

So basically you make a path for an entity to follow, and the entity emits a sound as it moves along the path. Bah, I was hoping it would be something cooler than that.

Tetzlaff said:

You´re right, sound is one of the key features to create a new Doom athmosphere. Even in the old Doom games sound played a very important role. The pneumatic screeching of the doors, the distant and suddenly closer growling of the monsters, the firing noise of the plasma gun, that all was essential to Doom. And, as you describe, there are much more possibilities to enhance the dramatic aspects with a subtle use of sounds in certain situations.

that's why the new doom game will never be "like" the original.
It's the atmosphere, in general, that defines the original, not just monsters, or grafix, or sounds alone....it's the whole that is impressive.

Linguica said:

So basically you make a path for an entity to follow, and the entity emits a sound as it moves along the path. Bah, I was hoping it would be something cooler than that.

Not really, you make a script-based trajectory. Acceleration, loops, staticness, triggered by player's motion, etc.

Just the same kind of crap you'll be able to do with light entities.

My favorite sound from the old Doom is the sarcastic luagh of the Archvile.