Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
loser

Doom over Microsoft Networks?

Does anyone know how to play Doom over Microsoft Networks (LAN?) Is any of the source ports capable of doing this?

Thanks

i presume that when you say microsoft network you refer to the the network drivers that comes with win95/98/NT/2k. In that case yes, it works very well. Most source ports supports play over tcp/ip (the protocol windows automaticly installs), and if you for some reason insitst in playing standard doom, installing the ipx drivers in windows will make that possible.

If you are new to thing, doom legacy and jdoom (needs 3d card though) are the most easy ports to start multiplayer games, and for zdoom are there plenty of shells that'll do the setup for you.

:)

Good old ipx lan with the original exe is still the best way to play Doom :)

bitstate said:

i presume that when you say microsoft network you refer to the the network drivers that comes with win95/98/NT/2k. In that case yes, it works very well. Most source ports supports play over tcp/ip (the protocol windows automaticly installs), and if you for some reason insitst in playing standard doom, installing the ipx drivers in windows will make that possible.

If you are new to thing, doom legacy and jdoom (needs 3d card though) are the most easy ports to start multiplayer games, and for zdoom are there plenty of shells that'll do the setup for you.

:)

Thanks for the info. Now I think I see what the problem is: under "Network" I have NetBEUI installed as the only protocol for the Ethernet card, and TCP/IP for the modem. I looked at the other machines here at the company and they all have NetBEUI protocol as well. Can I add TCP/IP too? What's the difference? Are the network settings gonna get screwed up??? :-(

BTW, what's IPX?

[back to work...]

As your setup is now, you are able to play (a dos port, see below) doom over the modem connection but not on the local network.

if you add other protocols i can hardly imagine the network settings to get screwed (as you only add, not modify anything existing). Adding tcp/ip to your ethernet card (*if * it isn't there allready) should make you able to play doom (any port that is, *not* original doom) over the network (make certain the opponent/coop buddie also has tcp/ip installed.)

Netbeu is (i think) a protocol used by windows to share reasources such as harddrives and printers.

Original doom uses another protocol called ipx, many (old) dos multiplayer games uses that protocol too.

Since you are on a company, can't you just ask some tecnician guy politely just to add the tcp/ip protocol to the computers? (or maybe they'll get suspicious.. heheh)