Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What do Americans think about Scotch?

Since Americans have their bourbons (which is actually kinda hard to obtain in Europe except for the huge brands), and Scotch is (I assume?) more expensive since it's a import, do Americans drink more bourbon than Scotch? When I watch shows like Family guy or any American cartoon it seems like anyone holding a bottle of alcohol is holding a bourbon of some kind. Is Scotch a niche in the US compared to bourbon?

Forgive me turning it around; Bourbon is not hard to find in the UK at least, it's everywhere.

And not just the big brands - I frequent a number of independent booze shops that sell well-aged or reserve bottles from small time labels in Kentucky etc.

They ain't cheap once imported, though.

It's definitely my favorite drink. I tend to buy one or two top shelf-ish bottles a year. Though, I don't know many people who drink it. Seems like every time I have someone new over to my place, I have them try Scotch for the first time.

In Star Trek, Scotty's original name was "Scotchy"... but the studio balked at so obvious a reference.

Fulgrim said:

It's definitely my favorite drink. I tend to buy one or two top shelf-ish bottles a year. Though, I don't know many people who drink it. Seems like every time I have someone new over to my place, I have them try Scotch for the first time.

What do you give them? I don't think many people who don't normally drink whiskey would like something exotic like Talisker or pretty much anything with a strong taste. In fact I think giving someone who hasn't had whiskey the wrong whiskey to taste for the first time is pretty much the perfect way to turn them away from it.

esselfortium said:

Can't get enough of the stuff.

lol

Bourbon makes me bawl like a baby so I don't drink it, and I haven't had enough Scotch to really say if I like it. It's really not hard to get over here at all though. The smaller liquor stores are sure to have the bigger brands, and the big chain liquor stores like BevMo or Total Wine are gonna have a lot of more expensive, obscure spirits.

I've been wanting to try Irish Whisky. I hear it's good.

BombChel said:

I've been wanting to try Irish Whisky. I hear it's good.

Irish whiskey is generally simplistic and very easy to drink. Ideal with ice. Jameson and Tullamore Dew spring to mind.

Bourbon, scotch, Irish whiskey, and rye have pretty insignificant differences, to the best of my knowledge. You can find a good bottle of scotch in America (I had a nice un-aged in Nova Scotia) but it can't be labeled as such because of trade regulations or whatever.

Bucket said:

Bourbon, scotch, Irish whiskey, and rye have pretty insignificant differences, to the best of my knowledge.

Then your knowledge is lacking, because there is a massive difference between bourbon and scotch. They taste nothing alike. The difference between scotch and Irish whiskey is also not that hard to notice.

Hey hardcore_gamer what is your opinion on the 1993 film Menace II Society?

hardcore_gamer said:

Then your knowledge is lacking, because there is a massive difference between bourbon and scotch. They taste nothing alike. The difference between scotch and Irish whiskey is also not that hard to notice.

You just reminded me of this hilarious video I watched the other day of some organic food snobs failing a double-blind taste test.

Tarnsman said:

Hey hardcore_gamer what is your opinion on the 1993 film Menace II Society?

I don't really watch Ganster movies.

Bucket said:

You just reminded me of this hilarious video I watched the other day of some organic food snobs failing a double-blind taste test.

Well telling the difference between American and Scotch whiskey really isn't hard, because the flavor profiles are very different.

hardcore_gamer said:

I don't really watch Ganster movies.

Cool. How do you feel about society in general do you feel that it was advantageous for us to move to an agrarian society from a hunter-gatherer society?

Tarnsman said:

Cool. How do you feel about society in general do you feel that it was advantageous for us to move to an agrarian society from a hunter-gatherer society?

What the fuck are you talking about?

I think he is making fun of you for asking questions on various topics in a forum section dedicated to various topics.

hardcore_gamer said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

Hey hardcore_gamer, if you created a society with 7 men and 3 women and the three women were required by law to murder 4 of the 7 men, how would you select which 4 men got murdered if you had no language and no writing?

Tarnsman said:

Hey hardcore_gamer if you created a society with 7 men and 3 women and the three women were required by law to murder 4 of the 7 men how would you select which 4 men got murdered if you had no language and no writing?

The men with the smallest penises die.

Bonus fact: Speaking of American whiskey, I am drinking some Maker's mark right now, and it's pretty bad. Not sure why it's so popular in the US. At least Jack Daniels comes with the benefit of being flavorless.

Tarnsman said:

Hey hardcore_gamer, if you created a society with 7 men and 3 women and the three women were required by law to murder 4 of the 7 men, how would you select which 4 men got murdered if you had no language and no writing?

Well, this certanly is a far fetched attempt at making fun of Hardcore_Gamer his or her topics by using a completely dislocated emulation.