Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jabzokPL

modern fps walk

Hi everyone! I was curious if is it possible to make doomguy walking like in modern fps. I mean mix beetween wolf3d walking with shaking a weapon from side to side in doom 1 or 2?
Did anyone try to do something like that?
A pice of code would be apprecieated :)

So, how exactly should it look like? Your description doesn't make it clear. Also, when you are trying to describe this "modern FPS walk", why don't you give an example from a modern FPS? Using Wolf3D and Doom as the defining examples makes little sense. Also, unless you're making your own Doom port directly derived from vanilla or a different port, how could seeing a code be useful for you?

sorry about that ;) I meant that walking/running like in COD or HALO series. Just not like in doom/duke nukem 3d wehere your camera move up'n'down every step you take.

You mean removing screen bob ?, try this command in console (Needs ZDoom,GZDoom or Zandronum to work) :

movebob <speed value>

Default is 0.25, try setting it to 0 and see if it removes it .

For a custom "Bob style" Create a DECORATE lump to modify Actor properties , if you're about to modify existing weapons Bobbing style try this .

* Weapon.BobRangeX amount Range multiplier for horizontal bobbing. Default is 1.0.
* Weapon.BobRangeY amount Range multiplier for vertical bobbing. Default is 1.0.
* Weapon.BobSpeed amount Bobbing speed multiplier. Affects how quickly the bobbing motion occurs. Default is 1.0.
* Weapon.BobStyle type The type of bobbing to use. Possible values include Normal, Inverse, Alpha, InverseAlpha, Smooth, and InverseSmooth. Normal is the default value and corresponds to the bobbing motion used in all old Doom-engine games.

Alpha is the bobbing motion used in the alpha versions of Doom.

Smooth is a smoother version of the normal style.

Inverse* types mirror the motion vertically compared to the non-inverse version. InverseAlpha lowers the weapon sprite while bobbing; the others raise it.

I think he means the newer, modern sprinting style from the two game series he mentioned, where you can only shoot your gun when walking but the whole time you're sprinting, your gun goes sideways and moves a lot and you can't shoot it until your sprint runs out.

I'm thinking in my mind how this'd be program but I think about a hackish method in ZDoom of making an ACS script that runs every tic and gets the player's input, checking for the run button, then your weapons'd be given an inventory item somehow (I don't think GiveInventory gives your weapons the inventory items... ).

This inventory item would be checked for in the fire and ready states and would make it jump to another state that made the gun do that moving/running animation...and the inventory item would then be removed. Something tells e I could make a bad example WAD if I think I could do this...

In modern FPS games there is a 3D model of the gun and the player's hands. So when moving/running they animate properly. When sprites are used, then you can only move the sprite around, heh.

Proper animation when moving and when running, combined with footstep sounds and making sidestepping and backwards movement slower is what you'd need, I believe.

Doom's movement also has that momentum thing to it, hard to describe. But it feels a lot less precise changing directions, stopping and starting moving etc compared to say Duke 3D.

You move around like a freight train. It's not just the movebob setting, which I have lowered to 0.12 myself. It's how you move, it's pretty unique.

PsychoGoatee said:

Doom's movement also has that momentum thing to it, hard to describe. But it feels a lot less precise changing directions, stopping and starting moving etc compared to say Duke 3D.

You move around like a freight train. It's not just the movebob setting, which I have lowered to 0.12 myself. It's how you move, it's pretty unique.

This is sort of what I was thinking of as well. Modern games have you decelerate on a dime, but Doom engine games have a comparatively low deceleration; so, when the player stops running in a given direction, the player-character sort of glides to a stop, instead of stopping dead right then and there. Makes lining up jumps on tight ground kind of difficult.

jabzokPL said:

Hi everyone! I was curious if is it possible to make doomguy walking like in modern fps. I mean mix beetween wolf3d walking with shaking a weapon from side to side in doom 1 or 2?
Did anyone try to do something like that?
A pice of code would be apprecieated :)

There is a code for a wolfenstein-like movement:
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35761