Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Slade, convert MIDI to MUS and vice versa

I'm trying to playback/save some MUS files on my new PC, however I get an "incompatible with 64bit" error when trying to convert the files. Is anyone aware of a way around this? It would be really immensely helpful. Thankyou!

(I got the file from the last post in this thread: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/xwe/30185-mus2midi/ )

Ive run into a problem.. In Slade3, When i select the MUS lump, it shows a "pause" and "stop" symbol, but pressing them does nothing - How do I play back mus/mid files from inside the wad?

Thanks a million, scifista. I only have one last question, is there a way to make it sound exactly like Windows GenMIDI?

EDIT: Installing windows media player allowed them to play back without a soundfont. Problem solved!

Hey dudes, one more question, is it possible to convert MUS to MID and vice versa in slade? I swear I did it last night with ease, now I'm looking everywhere and simply cannot find it..

Right-click a MUS lump, and choose "Audio -> Convert MUS to MIDI".

Converting MIDI to MUS is not supported, at least not in my version of SLADE3. I suspect it's deliberate.

So, is there any tool that can convert MID to MUS on a 64-bit windows? There are a few source ports out there I use for special reasons (mainly Legacy) that don't play back anything but MUS lumps. Was easy as hell with the mid2mus executable on my old PC, any ideas?

Doomkid said:

So, is there any tool that can convert MID to MUS on a 64-bit windows? There are a few source ports out there I use for special reasons (mainly Legacy) that don't play back anything but MUS lumps. Was easy as hell with the mid2mus executable on my old PC, any ideas?

To paraphrase Archi - run midi2mus in DOSBox.

Doomkid said:

I personally fucking hate the MUS format because it erases all the metadata and makes it a pain to identify obscure songs because of that; in addition it seems the conversion is lossy because quite often MUS songs will sound slightly wrong compared to the MIDI original. For this reason I do not want to have MIDI-to-MUS conversion in SLADE.

If you use Doom95 or Doom Legacy, then too bad for you but I don't care. Good, wholesome MIDI is where it's at; MUS are bad and should be left behind.

Memfis said:

MUS files seem to take less space. Checkmate, MIDI!

Okay I know it's a joke but...

Gez said:

I personally fucking hate the MUS format because it erases all the metadata and makes it a pain to identify obscure songs because of that; in addition it seems the conversion is lossy because quite often MUS songs will sound slightly wrong compared to the MIDI original.

Yeah, that's why they take less space.

I'm great fun at parties.