Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why wasn't "Blood" more popular?

GoatLord said:

I think some folks tried to make a Quake port of it as well, just ended being another shelved project.

It was actually 90% Done, it just missed some Single-player levels, It is called Transfusion and was a Standalone game based on Darkplaces engine , There's only 1 server left for it sadly .

I wouldn't say 90% done. AFAIK they only ever finished the deathmatch portion of the game, and even then it doesn't include all of the deathmatch-only maps from the original blood.

Edit: Playing it again actually, it does have more maps than I remember. But still, no sign of single player.

It wasn't exactly canceled, it just sort of died out in late 2010. I assume it is because translating a whole game from the Build Engine to the Quake Engine is grueling work. Also, I think a project senior left around that time, which was sort of the last straw. Which is a shame, because this was the only project that had Monolith's blessing to use all of Blood's resources without repercussion.

After having Duke3D be salvaged by the Megaton Edition and really enjoying Shadow Warrior: Classic Redux, I fall squarely in the camp that won't play the game as long as it is limited to the original Build-engine release. It's just a shame that Atari apparently really don't want my money and won't let any of the very-willing studios out there get that 1080p, WASD+Mouse, Windows 10 native re-release made and on Steam or GoG.

I've always been able to play Shadow Warrior with the SWP port, so I feel classic redux is pointless since the original Shadow Warrior is already free and can be used with the port I mentioned. Also the source port has more options than classic redux even has.

Oh yeah. Forgot to say something related to your question.

Blood wasn't that popular, because Doom had already been wired into our heads... No, I wasn't born back then, so I don't know how it felt.

Doom started those... Doom clones like Heretic, Hexen, Strife, HacX, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Blood and etc.

Don't agree? Your choice, its my opinion.

Voros said:

Blood wasn't that popular, because Doom had already been wired into our heads...

Well, for example Quake and Duke Nukem 3D were quite popular, despite being released in between Doom and Blood. That makes kind of a hole in your theory.

Might be due to Lith Software less popular than ID Software at it's time, add that to Valve .. etc , those were Some of the Factors that distracted people from Blood .

Think the more factual reason that Blood wasn't very popular was that it came out a full year after Quake so all 2.5d shooters looked dated around that time (Doom 64 took that hit as well) Blood also really only catered to a specific niche audience that loved their Horror and Horror's always been a love it or hate it thing.

True, while the general tone is dark comedy, it does have some genuine horror to it in some places, particularly in earlier episodes when they were actually trying to draw you into buying the game as well as later when it actually got difficult. I remember those little deadite hand things being particularly nasty because they were hard to get off and the spiders were horrible because they fuck up your vision in one way or another depending on the colour. There's also that screaming skeleton phantasm that's really there for jumpscare value.

vinnie245 said:

Think the more factual reason that Blood wasn't very popular was that it came out a full year after Quake so all 2.5d shooters looked dated around that time (Doom 64 took that hit as well) Blood also really only catered to a specific niche audience that loved their Horror and Horror's always been a love it or hate it thing.

Except only Doom 64 doesn't look exactly as dated as Blood, it does make use of advanced shading and lighting effects.