Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Voros

Doomguy needs weapon variation skins...In default.

During a simple deathmatch (my first DM on Doom) I couldn't help but notice how pathetic it felt to not being able to tell what weapon the other guy was holding. Just a plain rifle...each and everyone (except for berzerk pack guys). Still, after getting killed by a chaingunner player, then a plasmagunner player, I realized that this is very misleading...I even got killed by a BFG dude, while thinking that the guy was holding a pistol (cause he was roaming around as if he were looking for something...). Well... I think this should change. Can someone somehow add a special mod that causes the player sprites to change depending on what weapon the player is holding? Possibly, it would require some new sprites for the weapons in a WAD file, and a modified script? Also, does it make sense that Doomguy has a rifle, but in reality, there is no weapon like that in Doom (Unless it had a rifle mod).

In the Alpha versions of Doom, doomguy did indeed have a rifle, and instead of punching he used the bayonet on the end.

One could argue that being ready for any weapon at any time is a part of DM skill, but regardless, I'm certain there is a mod for Zandronum that implements this.

It's possible with ... emm... Brutal Doom, don't worry you can still set gameplay type to classic with command :

"bd_classicmonsters" 0 or 1

If it's on, enables the Classic Monsters and weapons Mode. In this mode, monsters have the same behavior of their vanilla counterparts, It also disables advanced features such as alt attacks and enhanced AI .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It's possible with ... emm... Brutal Doom, don't worry you can still set gameplay type to classic with command :

"bd_classicmonsters" 0 or 1

If it's on, enables the Classic Monsters and weapons Mode. In this mode, monsters have the same behavior of their vanilla counterparts, It also disables advanced features such as alt attacks and enhanced AI .

I don't think you understand what I meant.
I was asking if it was possible to change the player sprites time to time depending on the weapon held.
I found this skins pack called Weapon Variants Skins V7(I think?). If you seen it, then you know what I'm talking about...I think its available in the/idgames directory too.
Anyway, the pack has skins like plasmagunner marine, BFG marine, chainsaw marine, revenant cannons marine(would work with Brutal Doom) and etc. Is it possible to implement this skins WAD with a special script so that we can tell what gun the opponent is holding? All the time?

Voros said:

I don't think you understand what I meant.
I was asking if it was possible to change the player sprites time to time depending on the weapon

Well, Brutal Doom has it all, it shows which weapon is your opponent holding .And like i said you can switch to classic gameplay mode to make it feel like vanilla Doom .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Well, Brutal Doom has it all, it shows which weapon is your opponent holding .And like i said you can switch to classic gameplay mode to make it feel like vanilla Doom .

Really? Can you give me some screenshots to show what you mean. This never happened to me.
Thanks in advance.

Voros said:

I found this skins pack called Weapon Variants Skins V7(I think?). If you seen it, then you know what I'm talking about...I think its available in the/idgames directory too.
Anyway, the pack has skins like plasmagunner marine, BFG marine, chainsaw marine, revenant cannons marine(would work with Brutal Doom) and etc. Is it possible to implement this skins WAD with a special script so that we can tell what gun the opponent is holding? All the time?

No. Unless your opponent is using the same WAD with the same script, etc., then you're just going to get errors whenever you try joining a server.

Also

SavageCorona said:

This has been a thing for 21 years and nearly 11 months and you complain now?

Part of the difficulty and strategy in DM lies in not knowing immediately what weapon the other guy has selected (though you can make a pretty good guess by how they attack/behave).

I'm certain some die-hard DM aficionados would oppose such an "open cards" policy, even if it was implemented, or at least confine it in its own league. E.g. if you know the guy in front of you had the RL or a melee weapon selected, you could attack more confidently (normally, you can infer it by him trying to evade you/not firing). Similarly, knowing when a guy is in the middle of changing weapons (especially after an involuntary pickup...) would give a tactical advantage to an attacker (that's why some DM maps on ZDaemon now disable auto-switching).

Well, certain hardcore DM players are rumored to be able to take advantage even of the slightest tactical advantage in a split-second. Others simply BFG/rocket/plasma-spam a map and still win. I guess this sort of very short-term tactical info would only come in handy in some very bitter corner-cases in 1-on-1 matches, or on large DM maps with a low number of players, marked by low-frequency encounters.

Voros said:

Really? Can you give me some screenshots to show what you mean. This never happened to me.
Thanks in advance.

Can't do this right now, just try it out yourself or look for a gameplay video on Youtube .

SavageCorona said:

This has been a thing for 21 years and nearly 11 months and you complain now?

Not complaining. Just saying that it would appeal to modern gamers more freely and gently. Plus, no matter what, as long as Doom has high speed sprinting and bloody deaths, I'm fine.
Just saying that a small change could be a good thing.

I've always liked to see a mod that does this as well. Plus the visual feedback makes more sense when a BFG ball is coming from an appropriately large blob in the other guy's hands, and not the same little rifle. I thought there were more mods, or at least sprite sets, outside of Brutal Doom for this.

Voros said:

Not complaining. Just saying that it would appeal to modern gamers more freely and gently. Plus, no matter what, as long as Doom has high speed sprinting and bloody deaths, I'm fine.
Just saying that a small change could be a good thing.

If you want appeal for modern gamers, go play modern games. You're not going to find it in a game that was released in 1993.

SavageCorona said:

If you want appeal for modern gamers, go play modern games. You're not going to find it in a game that was released in 1993.

My laptop doesn't offer good specs to play modern games...Plus, isn't Doom moddable? I know it is.

Clonehunter said:

I've always liked to see a mod that does this as well. Plus the visual feedback makes more sense when a BFG ball is coming from an appropriately large blob in the other guy's hands, and not the same little rifle. I thought there were more mods, or at least sprite sets, outside of Brutal Doom for this.

There is definitely a mod on some Zandronum servers right now that has this exact feature enabled, but for the life of me I don't know the filename.

GreyGhost said:

Sounds like the Marine Skins wad, or a variant of it.

Yeah! that's the one! Can someone implement these skins in sync with the user's holding weapons? Brutal Doom is not working (Plus, its too absurdly bloody for me, and is annoying to have a DM with).

Voros said:

Yeah! that's the one! Can someone implement these skins in sync with the user's holding weapons?

The linked ZDoom forum thread has exactly that in it:

Additionally, for multiplayer servers on Zandronum, I've put together a viewable weapons mod. With vwep loaded, your graphics will display the weapon you're carrying (especially helpful for coop and deathmatch). Comes in two flavors; vanilla and with Skulltag_Actors loaded.

Download link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67411518/vwep.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67411518/vwep_ST.zip

I use GZDoom. Not Zandronum.
Plus, multiplayer isn't working on Zandronum (no servers lists). So I use Zdaemon and it works nearly perfectly.
Also, I play Doom on a laptop, meaning with a touchpad. So, I have to increase the mouse sensitivity in-game to have a decent singleplayer/multiplayer game. Zandronum's highest sensitivity isn't as high as GZDoom, and that serves as a annoying problem.

Voros said:

multiplayer isn't working on Zandronum (no servers lists).

It is working and always has been. Update your Zandronum to v2.1.2.

Also, the "vwep" wad should work in GZDoom too. On the other hand, it can't be modded to ZDaemon, because ZDaemon doesn't support DECORATE.

scifista42 said:

It is working and always has been. Update your Zandronum to v2.1.2.

Also, the "vwep" wad should work in GZDoom too. On the other hand, it can't be modded to ZDaemon, because ZDaemon doesn't support DECORATE.

Again, Zandronum's sensitivity is lower than GZDoom's and that is why I play with GZDoom. I mentioned that I play on a laptop (so a mousepad).

GZDoom doesn't have online play, though, which makes the abovementioned wad hardly useful for you even if you ran it in GZDoom.

Voros said:

My laptop doesn't offer good specs to play modern games...Plus, isn't Doom moddable? I know it is.

There are games that show a character's weapon that are also from the 90s. The earliest I can think of is Quake 2 or for a more focused (and active) MP experience is Unreal Tournament.

You probably won't find client-sided mods that allow you to see other people's weapons in Doom.