Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

WADs with best stock texture use?

There are some really gorgeous WADs out there, such as CC4. But Doom and D2's stock texture assortment also allows for aesthetically pleasing results. What are, in your opinion, the prettiest levels made using only the stock textures?

I really liked the usage of textures in Estranged. It have textures from D1 too, but only the original resources. The WAD have a gorgeous map style, classic but refined at the same time... just don't expect anything over-detailed.

Going Down by mouldy
anything by FranckFRAG
anything by SuperCupcakeTactics

EDIT:
Hell For Leather by Gifty is also pretty good

scifista42 said:

Going Down by mouldy

I was gonna say that.

I'll have to bookmark this thread I guess, haha. Started playing Estranged and it's really, really fun. And pretty.

MAP27 from 1994TU (great use of especially "hellish" textures), Awakening (has custom textures, but 99% are stock textures, just beautifully used, so I count it).

esselfortium said:

Kama Sutra.

The STEPTOP midtexture made me think so. Thanks for the confirmation.

Avoozl said:

Though it's kind of odd how they used circuitry textures on the sides of the cracked floor.

Underfloor heating, of course. :)

Yeah, I'd say check out the old version of Vela Pax from before the spirit of that project was murdered. :\

Memfis said:

Yeah, I'd say check out the old version of Vela Pax from before the spirit of that project was murdered. :\

Can a personal project that's entirely under its sole author's direction really have its "spirit murdered"?

In our hearts. But yeah it can. Check out the "updated" version of Cybercrime for example. Or the special edition of 2002 A Doom Odyssey. Or of Star Wars.

Memfis said:

In our hearts. But yeah it can. Check out the "updated" version of Cybercrime for example. Or the special edition of 2002 A Doom Odyssey. Or of Star Wars.

All of those things were released and then changed. Vela Pax is still being made.

To me that doesn't change much, especially since the whole concept of a "release" is so void nowadays with countless demos, alphas, betas, final versions, very final versions, final for real this time and special /idgames edition versions. I played a cool version and then a less cool version appeared so I claim the right to be butthurt and obnoxious about it! Btw when btsx release?