Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

WADs with best stock texture use?

Avoozl said:

Though it's kind of odd how they used circuitry textures on the sides of the cracked floor.

You are looking at it from a way to technical point of view. Forget that it is a texture for circuitry and it will just look like the sides of some broken tiles.

Memfis said:

Yeah, I'd say check out the old version of Vela Pax from before the spirit of that project was murdered. :\

Look out, I'll murder your wads!

But seriously, I'm not sure where your getting this vibe. The project's goals were changed very slightly so that I could add some vanilla-derived edits. Some to help with limits so I didn't have to split lines for things like 32-px wide SUPPORT3 door tracks a thousand times. Others are for varieties sake since a 2-hour long map usually benefits from such things. Even after all of the new additions and map updates, they are made up of 95% pure vanilla resources.

You misunderstood my original intentions of the project from the get-go if you think I 'murdered' it.

Memfis said:

To me that doesn't change much, especially since the whole concept of a "release" is so void nowadays with countless demos, alphas, betas, final versions, very final versions, final for real this time and special /idgames edition versions. I played a cool version and then a less cool version appeared so I claim the right to be butthurt and obnoxious about it! Btw when btsx release?

Void!? So, when people are trying to do some serious quality control to meet the increasing demands of the community - including yourself - you're basically telling them not to because you can't be bothered to wait with download or download it twice? Ugh.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything... Well, I could say "let's get back to the topic" but I'm not a moderator. :|

Memfis said:

I'm not telling anyone to do anything... Well, I could say "let's get back to the topic" but I'm not a moderator. :|

You mean the btsx release date topic? Okay.

FireFish said:

Forget that it is a texture for circuitry and it will just look like the sides of some broken tiles.

In that shot (and in person) to me it just looks like jagged edges of a reflective metal, a pretty neat effect.

Bump cuz i like this thread(also for that cool antares031 screenshot in dmp18 thread)

Here a list of cool maps that fit the criteria:

-50 shades of graytall

-Simo malinen maps

-Cannonball

-Lots of Mechadon works qualify(Especially Counterattack and Vela Pax,also various cp maps)

-Yakfak(there are custom resources here and there,but honestly stock texture use is incredible)

-No end in sight(but same case as Yakfak)(actually all of Natural  Tvventy  maps  count too)

-gggmork stuff 

-Brigandine

-Smax

-Check ribbiks post

-90s wads are cool too(sometimes astounding imo)

-SFoz911(known as Sky now) maps

-Dtwid and Dtwid 2

-Valkinforce(sometimes custom resource)

-Emergent

-In name only series (doom2ino,udino(wip))

-Chirs Lutz maps(Hellscape,P:AR,No end in sight maps,...)

-Moar edited in when i can think of them :)

Edited by Catpho

Not sure if advertising your own WADs is ok and whether you think I succeeded in my map is up to you but in essence, this is what I tried in my Retribution series. What I attempted was making a two huge (and a boss map) maps using only the stock Doom 1 and 2 textures. I really like the E1 and 2 aesthetic and I wanted to make something like that but polished. Leave a review if you want.

And some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/gallery/uZndR

Counterattack along with Breach and Brigandine are hands down the most visually impressive examples of stock D2 texture use.

Death-destiny's made some very creative maps with mainly stock textures.

l1xeZyG.jpg

2 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Death-destiny's made some very creative maps with mainly stock textures.

l1xeZyG.jpg

I was gonna mention Death-destiny,but i somehow forgot XD

I like dutch devil maps too,now to think of it he has made a lot of good stock textures maps,but i keep remembering his map01 from ndcp 2. 

99.9% stock textures. It's not up to me to say if it's the "best use" of stock textures, but I shamelessly submit this for others to decide :) 

21 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

99.9% stock textures. It's not up to me to say if it's the "best use" of stock textures, but I shamelessly submit this for others to decide :) 

Well,from what i have seen so far,it has some creative uses :)

17 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

This thread doesn't have nearly enough pics.

You asked for it

smax_antares031.png

1.jpg

saturnine.png

given.png

counterattack.png

50shades16h.png

22 minutes ago, Catpho said:

You asked for it

saturnine.png

Oooh, what are the trails in the sky in this picture?

I didn't noticed the fireblu dick on ToD's greytall map...

It's a washed out screenshot I found, but I will never stop being impressed by what Insane_Gazebo did with Sunder.

Pale Monument (Map 8) is a personal favorite. 

maxresdefault.jpg