Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom 3 OR Quake 4?

I have played through the Doom 3 campaign, and thought it was a wonderful way to retell Doom.
The power of the engine just blew my mind! The physics, movement and especially the lighting, was perfect for Doom 3's atmosphere.
Now, I am thinking if getting Quake 4 will be worth it? Is it also a retelling of Quake?
I've only seen one video of Quake 4, and it f***ing creeped me out (Stroggification process...).
Any thoughts on which one is technically better? I love a game with gory sequences, but which one is the better one?
Doom 3 & Quake 4 are made from the same engine, so the gameplay will be slightly similar, but which one is more atmospheric?

Graphics aside I pretty much enjoyed Quake 4 more than Doom 3, gameplay and story is more important than graphics imo but of course that's not to say that Doom 3 didn't have a good story or gameplay. Besides the games are pretty much dirt cheap now.

That Doom 3 screenshot never happened in game. But it is cool.
I don't understand that Quake 4 picture though.

The quake 4 screenshot shows a "Robonized" guy, while Doom 3 one shows a Random zombie with a chaingun .

Shaviro's screenshot comparison is a little disingenuous considering Quake 4's generally more colourful areas, and more of a trend toward open spaces than Doom 3. Add to this a complete lack of fannying around with logs to get details to allow progress, and more satisfying boss encounters on the whole, I'm gonna have to say Quake 4 wins out. Oh, and it has a better shotgun that functions at something more than point-blank range.

Both are great, like. But Quake pips it for me.

EDIT
I do have to concede, for fairness, that Doom 3's non-boss bestiary is better than Quake 4's, but still. The overall package was a little lesser.

Is it really more colorful though? I know there are a few areas with ugly primary-colored fill lights, but in general it's pretty damn grey and brown.

Quake 4 showed an incredible lack of understanding of Idtech4. Yes, it had larger outside areas, but those looked extremely bad due to almost all lighting and shadowing being disabled in favor of a flat dull appearance. The game was mostly just endless corridors of exaggerated specular maps and godawful brushwork

I will agree that Quake4 overall had better gunplay and sounds though.

Jayextee said:

EDIT
I do have to concede, for fairness, that Doom 3's non-boss bestiary is better than Quake 4's

I felt RoE's bosses were better than vanilla Doom 3's bosses for the most part.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The quake 4 screenshot shows a "Robonized" guy

In game they generally call that Stroggification.

Shaviro said:

Is it really more colorful though? I know there are a few areas with ugly primary-colored fill lights, but in general it's pretty damn grey and brown.

Colourful lighting is still more colour. I'm looking at the whole package here, and you do make some good points. I do recall one area set in a cooler or something, with blue underlighting and nice orange overhead lights; hardly a primary colour.

Most of the outdoor sections were shit, I'll grant you that. But that one boss fight on the roof felt good despite that flatness and generally looking a bit plain. Good skybox though, nice sense of scale in that.

Oh yeah, and Doom 3: RoE is IMO far better than stock Doom 3 anyway (as mentioned by Avoozl here). That one probably beats out Q4 for me.

Shaviro said:

Official Doom 3 screenshot
Official Quake 4 screenshot

While the Doom3 screenshot is showing its age on a more "technical" basis, the art is pretty solid. The Quake 4 screenshot all around just looks like shit on all levels.

These screenshots are highly indicative of the games respective qualities.

I actually was still impressed to this day at how good Quake 4 looks in terms of graphical fidelity despite being 10 years old.

Voros said:

Is it just me, or does Quake 4 seem completely different from Quake 1 ?

Graphically yes, but there are still elements from other Quake games .

Quake 4 is a continuation of the Quake 2 story. They have nothing to do with Quake 1. id just named Quake 2 as 'Quake 2' because the title they wanted was already taken by another IP, and instead of thinking of something different, they basically took a 'well, fuck it' approach to the name.

Shaviro said:

Ehh, gonna have to disagree with you there. That screenshot certainly isn't jaw-dropping by any means, but I wouldn't describe it as 'godawful'. You're right about the outdoor environments being largely flat and uninteresting, but Quake 4 has some really wonderful detailed tech-base stuff, especially towards the end of the game.

Quake 4 is set on the planet Stroggos which is supposed to be a barren and dusty world, of course it's not going to look interesting. In Quake 2 it didn't look any more interesting either.

Wasn't Quake originally about an unnamed marine, attacking a extra-dimensional army, against their ugly leader, all by himself?

Quake 4 seems like Corporal Kane goes through with help from his teammates to fight an extra-terrestrial (AKA, alien) army, with an even uglier leader.

seems pretty different...Plus, the Strogg thing is feeling like out of the blue (what kind of race depends on prisoners and dead soldiers to create a cyborg army?)

Voros said:

(what kind of race depends on prisoners and dead soldiers to create a cyborg army?)

Well it's not really a race, but more like a whole collection of aliens from other worlds converted into cybernetic warriors by the Makron.

Avoozl said:

Well it's not really a race, but more like a whole collection of aliens from other worlds converted into cybernetic warriors by the Makron.

exactly. Its sickening.
At least Hell handled that part without being gruesome.

note: Hell is technically meant to be gruesome, so that was normal...but some freak who captures aliens just to make a cyborg army, without sanitary conditions or delicate surgery? Not even anaesthetics are give during during that spine chilling Stroggification process.

What happened to making a sequel to Quake 1? it is the original, isn't it?

This year I replayed Doom 3 and played Quake 4 for the first time. I enjoyed both of them., and found that Q4 had a lot of nice hyperdetailed grimy space-industrial interiors of the sort that idTech4 excels at. Q4's variant on hyperdetailed space grime includes more military greens and a sort of greasy heavy-machinery feel, but both games have endless pipes (frequently shooting steam) and wires all over the place. It's still a great aesthetic.

Voros said:

it is technically a Quake mod rather then a sequel cause you have to load it seperately (I don't want ruin my original Quake PAK files or replace them).

Each one is a standalone game .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Each one is a standalone game .

Really? I just use the pak file included. Forgot what the rest of the files(exe, cfg, and etc) cause I use darkplaces.

Shaviro said:

While the Doom3 screenshot is showing its age on a more "technical" basis, the art is pretty solid. The Quake 4 screenshot all around just looks like shit on all levels.

These screenshots are highly indicative of the games respective qualities.

Sheesh, that comparison really makes Q4 look bland! Look how flat the layout is!

No, Quake 4 has a full scale war going on and you are stranded in the industrial facilities of a hostile alien world. Doom 3 has a much more gloomy and brooding athmosphere and you encounter the remnants and residues of other humans everywhere.

I both like Quake 4 and Doom 3 equally. Though I liked Quake 2 better because of the superior level design. Technically there is not much difference between D3 and Q4. Q4 uses higher resolution monster skins and makes frequent use of the portal sky feature, but that's about it.

Well, I got Quake 4...not impressed, feels like CoD (I never even played CoD!). When I hear Doom or quake then I think of freedom of movement. This makes me think of killing of myself for playing. I hate games that have poor gameplay, not saying to Doom 3 and Quake 4, but when compared to their predecessors, you see a big gap.

Atmosphere...I don't know really cause i only did the first few levels, its starting to get boring. At least Doom 3 had me psyched during the game.

Voros said:

Atmosphere...I don't know really cause i only did the first few levels, its starting to get boring. At least Doom 3 had me psyched during the game.

At least play until you-know-what happens to Kane. If you've somehow avoided spoilers and don't-know-what, then play that far. ;)

I've played the whole game, at first i liked the quality of the game and the monsters cutscenes , I started getting bored of the repeatitive level feel (locked inside UAC Facility) till i reached Hell level , I was getting hyped each time i get a new weapon .

I'm not playing it very often recently but i'm really glad to see few people still playing it Online .