Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom 3 OR Quake 4?

Voros said:

Well, I got Quake 4...not impressed, feels like CoD (I never even played CoD!).

*faceplam* How can it feel like a game you never even played? Also Quake 4 was released in October 18, 2005 while the first Modern CoD was released in November 5, 2007 which was 2 years later and so Quake 4 is nothing like CoD. CoD was more about 'realism' and casual elements such as the two weapon limit, regenerative health, grenade spam and had unbearably linear level design for a few examples.

Avoozl said:

unbearably linear level design

That what I think when I hear CoD, linear.
No freedom... :(

I also said casual elements which is what regenerative health is, I should've explained better.

A shooter has to give you freedom in a way so that you'll do your tasks anyway.
Doom and Quake did just that. Even if orders are given by a leading officer, atleast let the level be non linear, so that we can figure out where to go by ourselves.

Quake 4 is basically the best parts of Doom 3 and the old Call of Duty games (1 and 2) from before the series disappeared into its own asshole. It's a great game.

The outdoor sections, what few there are, are kind of bland, yes, but that's largely due to the cyclopean architecture endemic to Stroggos. If the Strogg has any kind of culture, it's evident in their predilection for massive, military-brutalist architecture.

Hey, I'm big fan of DOOM and QUAKE. I really like QUAKE 4, of course it is closer to QUAKE 2 than QUAKE 1. QUAKE 4 it's for me last old school shooter, without iron sight, shoot and run in this same time, lot of enemies (stroggs!). Btw you can also play QUAKE 4 singleplayer demo. I remember Q4 very well, when I sit to this game I played 8 hours with only one pause and after that I started from begining. I finish the game some about 4-6 times. QUAKE 4 it's not similar to DOOM 3, it's different, it reminds QUAKE 2 with more more better graphic. And, hey, shotgun rip and tear, and stroggos are yelling in his nice native language :D

DoomMarine82 said:

Hey, I'm big fan of DOOM and QUAKE. I really like QUAKE 4, of course it is closer to QUAKE 2 than QUAKE 1. QUAKE 4 it's for me last old school shooter, without iron sight, shoot and run in this same time, lot of enemies (stroggs!). Btw you can also play QUAKE 4 singleplayer demo. I remember Q4 very well, when I sit to this game I played 8 hours with only one pause and after that I started from begining. I finish the game some about 4-6 times. QUAKE 4 it's not similar to DOOM 3, it's different, it reminds QUAKE 2 with more more better graphic. And, hey, shotgun rip and tear, and stroggos are yelling in his nice native language :D

I have finished Quake 4 and Doom 3.
I loved the graphics, but gameplay is more important to me.
I never played Quake 2, but Quake does seem like asequal.
Yeah. The Strogg's language at first made ne think "what did he just say?" But then I kept killing them, quicksaving when I'm free from enemies or before the next event.

You must REALLY love those two. I do too.
Just wish it was non linear though...

I have a non-linear Quake 4 SP level in the making: http://trappajaw.deviantart.com/gallery/
I also tried to revive the original Quake 2 Strogg architecture style with trapezoid doors and stuff. Don't know when I will be finished though, editing in this engine takes a lot of time because there are so many details you have to take care of.

Tetzlaff said:

I have a non-linear Quake 4 SP level in the making: http://trappajaw.deviantart.com/gallery/
I also tried to revive the original Quake 2 Strogg architecture style with trapezoid doors and stuff. Don't know when I will be finished though, editing in this engine takes a lot of time because there are so many details you have to take care of.

Looks quite good so far.

Voros said:

I have finished Quake 4 and Doom 3.
I loved the graphics, but gameplay is more important to me.
I never played Quake 2, but Quake does seem like asequal.
Yeah. The Strogg's language at first made ne think "what did he just say?" But then I kept killing them, quicksaving when I'm free from enemies or before the next event.

You must REALLY love those two. I do too.
Just wish it was non linear though...

Linearity is really the last of Q4's problems. Nonlinearity would fix nothing!

Nonlinearity is not like some checkbox you can throw on your game and expect it to be good on the basis of that. Q4 would be bad with Nonlinearity as it is with Linearity.

I have no clue what you're saying about the other things in Q4 though.

Tetzlaff: Looks great so far. You nailed the Q2 style.

Tetzlaff said:

Cool! I hope its HUGE!

Not sure what the Quake 2 levels are like, I know that's not Quake 4.

Will it have scripted events from time to time, to give some atmosphere?
Any key finding skills required? Or puzzle solving?
Will there be dark areas?
Do you plan on giving a NPC beside the player like a Tech or Medic?
How much progress has been made?
Any new weapons/textures/etc? Or just map(s)?

Thanks for your positive feedback, Avoozl, geX, DoomMarine82 and Voros! Encourages me to get the thing finally done.

Voros said:

Cool! I hope its HUGE!

Not sure what the Quake 2 levels are like, I know that's not Quake 4.

Will it have scripted events from time to time, to give some atmosphere?
Any key finding skills required? Or puzzle solving?
Will there be dark areas?
Do you plan on giving a NPC beside the player like a Tech or Medic?
How much progress has been made?
Any new weapons/textures/etc? Or just map(s)?

Yes, it is a large level. It won't have very sophisticated scripted events, I mainly rely on ambient sound and visuals for atmosphere.

It's technically based around "find the switch" objectives. With independent routes between locked door and corresponding switch. So you can take route A to the switch and then route B back to the opened door, or you take route B and then route A the way back. Or backtrack the way you came and explore the other rooms later.
There are also some darker areas in the basement of that fortress. No NPCs, I want the player to be all alone in a hostile and strange environment (just like in Quake 2).
No new weapons, but a number of new textures and new ambient sounds.

Out of all the universes I think the Quake 2 universe is the most boring. Brown techbases for miles and boring strogg.

I want a Quake 1 sequel.

Tetzlaff said:

This is great. Please finish it.

Tetzlaff said:

Thanks for your positive feedback, Avoozl, geX, DoomMarine82 and Voros! Encourages me to get the thing finally done.

Yes, it is a large level. It won't have very sophisticated scripted events, I mainly rely on ambient sound and visuals for atmosphere.

It's technically based around "find the switch" objectives. With independent routes between locked door and corresponding switch. So you can take route A to the switch and then route B back to the opened door, or you take route B and then route A the way back. Or backtrack the way you came and explore the other rooms later.
There are also some darker areas in the basement of that fortress. No NPCs, I want the player to be all alone in a hostile and strange environment (just like in Quake 2).
No new weapons, but a number of new textures and new ambient sounds.

Progress?

Looks awesome to try out!
Note:if you don't finish it, I will RIP AND TEAR...

Voros said:

BTW, it is technically a Quake mod rather then a sequel cause you have to load it seperately

You load Quake 1 2, 3 and 4 separately but are they all Quake mods?

SavageCorona said:

You load Quake 1 2, 3 and 4 separately but are they all Quake mods?

Are you implying that I load The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and Doom 3 separately, but they are still Doom mods?
The answer is no.
what I meant to say was that Quake 1's Mission Packs are using the original Quake engine, and you still play as that same marine from Quake 1. Quake 2 was completely different from the story of Quake 1. Quake 3 was like a Counter-Strike version of Quake. Quake 4 is a sequel to Quake 2.

The Mission Packs are more like add-ons rather than a sequel, just like how Doom mods can act like add-ons to the Doom engine (Brutal Doom is an example).

I cannot say I liked either of these two games gameplay-wise as both were severely suffering from the ultra-linear-gameplay syndrome where the player has no choice where to go - no detours, no backtracking - just following a sequence of scripted events.

Visually, though, Q4 showed a lot more variety - Doom 3 still counts for me as one of the most visually dull and repetetive games I ever played.

Doom 3 is the stylish one, Quake 4 is more of a shlocky action movie. The art direction is weaker, but the combat is more satisfying.

Shaviro said:

While the Doom3 screenshot is showing its age on a more "technical" basis, the art is pretty solid. The Quake 4 screenshot all around just looks like shit on all levels.

It should be noted though that both are development shots, and some things were changed in the final products. Q4 shot in particular looks much more plain and grey than the actual game.

Clonehunter said:

That spider with its fucking sound just fucking creeps me out. It cool, but weird in a way, like the Strogg would bother to capture such a big beast, then modify it with machinery that would probably cost over 5 million bucks. And when they could have just used all that on a army of captives rather than 1 scary thing.

If you'd paid attention you'd have heard enough information to put together what those things are.

Aside from large enemies to serve as mini boss encounters.

One thing I've noticed with Quake IV is some of the textures haven't aged that well.

I was always bothered by the fact that there were fat zombies, but no fat civilians. Are they supposed to be bloated corpses?