Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Protester

What Year is Doom/Doom 2 Set In?

This might be overdone topic of the decade or something but here goes

I wondered this for a few days, on googling all I could really find was doom 3's start date (2125 or something like that). I was wondering if any of you doom bible followers might have some info on this.

I don't think there's an official lore detailing the date for either of the original games. It's probably meant to be set somewhere near when Doom 3 is.

A little off topic, but I find amazing that Corridor 7 takes place in 2012. I'm sure that's a great year, full of eye-ball robots and aliens.

GoatLord said:

I don't think there's an official lore detailing the date for either of the original games.

And that's the beauty of video games... it allows us to use our imagination in when they actually take place.

Far enough in the future so that (probably) none of us will be around to see anything remotely close to the events or the tech in Doom.

There might be prototype plasma weaponry, frequent space travel, an acceptable solution to the energy problems of today and even Mars colonization in our (late) lifetime, but not at the level of sophistication implied by Doom or Doom 3. Dunno about demons invading our dimension, though.

I do not understand why people are so set on destroying fiction by demanding dates, comparing it to reality, demanding a timeline connected to reality...

It is a fictional world being invaded by weird demons and aliens while Space Marines have laboratories on mars which they need to guard. its a fictional futuristic situation.

Doom took place in the far futuristic future, fictional one that is. To say an exact date on the demon invasion, would be impossible to say.

It's like what id Software's Carmack said: a story in a p*** movie is only there for some drama, but its not important. Doom doesn't need any fancy things like inventory, cinematics, etc. cause it doesn't have to.

Overall, the date of the invasion wasn't given in the original readme file, wasn't it? Because they didn't have to. We could make it up and we would know its perfect.

SavageCorona said:

It could take place in the year 40000 and it would be the same.

No it would not be the same because of one thing: Lawsuit.

From the story texts we can see that the English they're using is somewhat outdated. In fact, nowhere in the game does the doomguy say "YOLO". So it probably takes place before our decade at least.

I've thought the Doom Bible has an answer. At least Tom Hall knows about it, maybe.

GhostlyDeath said:

Space marines fighting Demons in the year 40K...

If they want to push it that far then they should file a lawsuit against Aliens, Doom, and starship troopers for having any marines anywhere in space, in any time zone.

Memfis said:

From the story texts we can see that the English they're using is somewhat outdated. In fact, nowhere in the game does the doomguy say "YOLO". So it probably takes place before our decade at least.

You Only Live Once is such an old philosophy. It is funny how it irritates the old guys on the internet.

[/offtopic]

FireFish said:

If they want to push it that far then they should file a lawsuit against Aliens, Doom

Actually Aliens was set in 2179 and according to the PDAs in Doom 3 it's set in 2145. But fuck knows when Doom 1 was set.

SavageCorona said:

Actually Aliens was set in 2179 and according to the PDAs in Doom 3 it's set in 2145. But fuck knows when Doom 1 was set.

It seemed that the poster whom i quoted was referencing Warhammer 40K (40000), a well known franchise in which space marines fight demons... and Games Workshop is also well known for being ultra protective of that franchise.

GhostlyDeath said:

So i wrote ;

If they want to push it that far then they should file a lawsuit against Aliens, Doom, and starship troopers for having any marines anywhere in space, in any time zone.

So i joked ; sue everybody whom has space marines doing things in space.

If you compare Doom and Doom 3, you have...

In Doom:

• A very near Earth-like environment, even on the moons of Mars.
  • Trees on Mars, albiet dead (possibly due to lack of water/nutrients or the hellish environment).
  • No sources of food or waste disposal for humans in any standard Doom level, might be possible that food is not a requirement (or 100% of it is used).
In Doom 3:
  • Mars with its dusty, cold, barely any oxygen atmosphere.
  • The trip from Earth to Mars is on the duration of months (you can determine that from the PDAs).
If by 2145 Mars would look like Doom 3, then the original Doom would have to be even further into the future. Not to mention that if you fit in Final Doom (which is official) there are even UAC bases past the asteroid belt with Earth-like environments.

Otherwise if Doom takes place in 2145, then the technology would have to had a major exponential jump.

The other way out is by just saying that it is a video game that does not have to make sense at all.

FireFish said:

It seemed that the poster whom i quoted was referencing Warhammer 40K (40000), a well known franchise in which space marines fight demons... and Games Workshop is also well known for being ultra protective of that franchise.

I know, I'm the one who brought up 40k. And if anything Games Workshop have been whoring out their licenses to anyone who will take them. Hardly protective if I say so myself.

SavageCorona said:

I know, I'm the one who brought up 40k. And if anything Games Workshop have been whoring out their licenses to anyone who will take them. Hardly protective if I say so myself.

Times change. Maybe they changed to.

GhostlyDeath said:

A very near Earth-like environment, even on the moons of Mars.

Could it be that the Phobos sky is just a hologram? After all, it is an exact copy of a location on Earth somewhere in China.

Memfis said:

Could it be that the Phobos sky is just a hologram? After all, it is an exact copy of a location on Earth somewhere in China.

Possible, could be a fight against space depression of just seeing nothing but blackness.

Why is this even a discussion? Everyone knows that Doom and Doom 2 is set in the year ****

Spoiler

or alternatively, it could be set in the year Funyarinpa

Considering that Classic Doom/Doom2 has such a clash of technology--double barrel shotguns, bulky 70s computers, off-world colonies, experimental military weaponry, etc., it is beyond pointless to even speculate whenthe games take place.

I don't think there is a specific year in which Doom and Doom 2 took place, though my guess would probably be around the early 21st century, considering Doom 3 appears more futuristic than Doom and Doom 2.

T-Rex said:

I don't think there is a specific year in which Doom and Doom 2 took place, though my guess would probably be around the early 21st century, considering Doom 3 appears more futuristic than Doom and Doom 2.

Ahh...that explains why Doom 3's timeline doesn't have a SSG, but Doom's timeline does...

Voros said:

Ahh...that explains why Doom 3's timeline doesn't have a SSG, but Doom's timeline does...

Doom3 is not a direct sequel to Doom, the original Doom doesn't have an SSG, and Doom3:RoE does have an SSG, compared with Doom2.

I lean more towards like 2070, as ballistic weapons are still in use. And the computers arent all that high tech.. Really they seem like what someone from the early 90's would think would be future tech.