Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Zoon-tex [v3.1] -- BIG UPDATE! 7,082 colorful edits.

Very colorful! I really like the purple stuff in the third shot. I don't know why, but I love seeing purple and pink in Doom.

+1 Nice! +1 Thanks! :)

Funnily, I've recently made a very similar palette tweak for my own purposes, with reduced amount of blue (and even pink/red) indexes in favor of adding more color ranges, also requiring some sprites to be reincluded.

Very nice! Re-colors are always useful. Some very interesting color combinations. I particularly like all the grey/white ones that can be used for snow/ice/slush. I can't decide if the purple falls/water reminds me more of a plasma globe or some sort of hellish demon ichor. One question: It looks like the GRFALLx textures are exactly the same as the SFALLx textures. Was that intentional?

Cool stuff, Jimmy! I do wish that the purple was a little more prominent, though, Doom still needs more purple!

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

One question: It looks like the GRFALLx textures are exactly the same as the SFALLx textures. Was that intentional?

Yeah, I was gonna mention this too. I'm not sure why you'd override SFALLx with the GRFALLx patches, seeing as the stock SFALLx patches look just fine with the new palette (at least, in SLADE).

Which textures work fine with the standard palette? If it's just 256 PNG, then I can deal with just importing some of them into my Epic Oblige Texture Set.

Glaice said:

Which textures work fine with the standard palette?

Here is a relatively efficient method for you to find it out:

1. Open zoon-tex.wad in SLADE3 and delete the custom palette. Open TEXTURE1 and look through the texture list. Mark all textures that don't look alright (except skies and switches), and either delete them, or recolor their respective patches to look better ("Graphic -> Color Remap"). Then "Remove unused patches" in SLADE3's maintenance options. Save the wad and rename it for convenience.

2. Open another clean copy of zoon-tex.wad in SLADE3. This time select all patches and choose "Graphic -> Convert to" in the context menu. Convert them from "Existing/Global" to "Doom". Then do the same with flats, only remember to select "Doom (Flat)" format in the top box. Now delete the custom palette. Open TEXTURE1 and look through the texture list. Mark all textures that don't look alright (except skies and switches), and either delete them, or recolor their respective patches to look better ("Graphic -> Color Remap"). Then "Remove unused patches" in SLADE3's maintenance options. Save the wad and rename it for convenience.

3. Merge both wad's textures to get a maximum amount of usable ones for you.

Glaice said:

Which textures work fine with the standard palette?

They all should work reasonably well because they still conform to a derivative of the Doom palette - in fact they were recolored using the Doom palette initially, with the new palette (i.e. the changed blue and green ranges) being more of a small visual enhancement I added afterwards.

I really do not recommend putting them through a conversion process to bring them back to the Doom palette, is what I'm saying, so doing what scifista suggested is not actually viable. Just straight copy the textures into your WAD.

Ignoring the obvious change in the blues and greens, the only textures/flats that will look notably different are the light purple ones, which will be a light blue instead.

Zoon-tex [v2.1]
EDIT 02/09: updated to v2.1.

Massively updated. 1000+ textures total, 3 new colors, plus some other miscellaneous texture edits by me. All textures have been renamed too - just about all the new ones start with Z. They are also in a TEXTURE2 lump, and have been feverishly organised by coloration, so you don't have to sift through Doom's stock ones to get to them all.

Basically I redid everything from the ground up using the ZDoom TEXTURES lump to create and "render" my textures, using and abusing translations to reach the best possible color combinations/palette usage. Where translating alone proved difficult or (near-)impossible, I cut the textures up into parts and translated each individually as a patch - I did this, for example, with all the GSTFONT variants (of which there are 48... yes).

Jesus Christ I spent 2 whole days on this

Argh, sorry, I had to correct a minor niggle which took like 3 hours to address total. Please discard v2.0 because it's missing some stuff.

2.2 is on its way - this one will actually have the shards pictured in the OP (as textures, not sprites).

Zoon-tex [v2.3]

Even more textures, good god. New Hexen textures, along with many new useable switch textures. Some corrections also made to the existing textures like GSTONE, GSTFONT and BROWN144, and all the recolored variants thereof.

Any chance these will be uploaded to the R667 repository, or do any of these textures violate the submission rules?

I don't consider the pack quite complete yet - I'll probably get it up to 3.0 and then upload it. I'll have to run out of things to recolor first, though. :P

That said, the new palette may complicate matters if that's against the R667 submission rules.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Regarding the palette, you CAN convert the textures to PNG, if you like. On the other hand, the entire point of the wad's custom PLAYPAL and COLORMAP would be reversed... *shrug*