Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Princess Leia's Golden Bikini is going on a fishing trip

http://news.toyark.com/2015/11/03/is-slave-leia-merchandise-being-retired-181692

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/there-are-rumors-princess-leias-return-of-the-jedi-bikini-costume-is-being-retired/

Here's a speculative article about the possible end of "Slave Leia" merchandise. For anyone unaware of one of the more iconic film outfits of the 80s, what's referred to as Slave Leia is the golden bikini Carrie Fisher wore in STar Wars: Return of the Jedi. Some guy called J. Scott Campbell made some rather stern statements that "Slave Leia" will be vaulted up for good, and merchandise for it will cease to exist (As it turns out, the latest action figure version of this outfit bombed). He later corrected himself and said that he was only passing along a rumor.

Social Justice Warriors taking over? Disney being a twat? Outfit just declining in popularity?

"It looks like were there is smoke there is fire. The rumor appears to now have some legs. Perhaps because of the recent controversy around the costume and its level of appropriateness for conservative parents and its title for more liberal parents has just made the outfit something to stay away from."

"I’ve heard it from two sources. We can’t even draw Leia in a sexy pose at Marvel, let alone in that outfit!"

Not just toys, but anything it seems. It's just going to stop showing up all, in official art, promo material, anything. Some joke that it will be wiped from the film itself.

The second quote seems the most interesting, followed by:

"Disney is already well on it’s way to wiping out the “slave” outfit from any future products period. You will NOT see and future merchandising featuring the slave outfit ever again. Trust me." - Campbell

Overall, I can't say I care too much, specifically quoting "I personally don’t care if they sell products with Leia in the bikini on them as long as they’re scene specific."

But as the second article states, a blanket ban would be a bit cheap, especially if it meant the end of RotJ posters from being distributed, because what the Hell would that be about.

Conversely, Slave Leia Halloween costumes are still top sellers.

Clonehunter said:

Conversely, Slave Leia Halloween costumes are still top sellers.

I honestly refuse to believe this, if only for the fact that lingerie is a pretty poor choice of clothing the closer you get to fall.

Especially if you pay big for a genuinely metal bikini. Egh.

Arctangent said:

I honestly refuse to believe this, if only for the fact that lingerie is a pretty poor choice of clothing the closer you get to fall.

Especially if you pay big for a genuinely metal bikini. Egh.

Indoor halloween parties are a thing.

Mithran Denizen said:

Indoor halloween parties are a thing.

That still involves walking around with basically nothing on in an air conditioned area. At least warm Halloweens aren't unheard of.

Sure, it might not be so bad if you're hosting the party, but otherwise there's no promising that the host's front door isn't secretly a portal to the Arctic.

Sokoro said:

Who cares about this clothing? Best women are naked.

No way. sexy outfits are way better than completely naked. Its the imagination that makes it worth while.

Yeah its a pretty typical costume and catwoman and batman. Other than that its like Team Fortress 2 hats there are so many its tough for any costume to get a percentage. Its really just a gamble on what makes money.

Star Wars geeks love the costume. Its impossible to erase it after 30+ years. Even if its never officially sold again, people will make their own.

40 oz knows how it works.

Arctangent said:

That still involves walking around with basically nothing on in an air conditioned area. At least warm Halloweens aren't unheard of.

Sure, it might not be so bad if you're hosting the party, but otherwise there's no promising that the host's front door isn't secretly a portal to the Arctic.

Indeed. I went to a show in a pub this halloween, and though it got cold outdoors, it was really sweltering inside, to the point that many people were shedding most of the layers of their costumes to stay comfortable.

My costume was basically a thin summer dress (I was the Queen of England), so I was just fine in the pub. But then the twenty minute walk home at two degrees above freezing temperature was my tradeoff. I did see a few people with costumes on the 'slave Leia' level of skimpiness this year, though they either brought big coats or were smart enough to taxi home rather than brave the cold.

On topic: I can't say I particularly care either way, but IMO there are much bigger problems in Star Wars merchandising than this outfit. An objection against sexualization is silly and misguided, while an argument against objectification / misogyny would seem to fail to distinguish simple imagery from the meaning that imagery is used to convey. But that's just from the top of my head.

Then again, if Disney wants to make things easy and comfortable to appease the sensibilities of parents who feel bad about exposing their kids to the real world, I can't say I'm surprised or outraged. If they want to keep Star Wars extra cozy and inoffensive because they think it'll sell better that's their business.

Actually, I've done a bit of work on custom versions of this costume for a few people before; maybe if they stop selling official ones, I'll start selling my own designs for $80 a pop. Heh.

40oz said:

No way. sexy outfits are way better than completely naked. Its the imagination that makes it worth while.

This type of social imagination (vs. conceptual imagination) may be beyond Sokoro.

What kind of weirdo would be offended by something as common as a bikini. If you want to be that retarded then ban your kids from the ocean, the swimming pools, and any popular vacation destination. Dont even dare to go to spain while visiting the ocean at peak times... Dont even shower without wearing some pants and a sweater.

Beware the internet Hivemind.

I love how this is somehow the fault of the dreaded internet SJWs instead of, you know, The Walt Disney Company

Linguica said:

I love how this is somehow the fault of the dreaded internet SJWs instead of, you know, The Walt Disney Company

Big wall of spam saying TRUTH that I'm not allowed to do because I'm not an admin

Linguica said:

Well fine sir, they generate a lot of Big Data with their raids and websites. that data gets used by such companies to estimate the media climate. heh.

*Walks away like a snob*

Mithran Denizen said:

Then again, if Disney wants to make things easy and comfortable to appease the sensibilities of parents who feel bad about exposing their kids to the real world, I can't say I'm surprised or outraged. If they want to keep Star Wars extra cozy and inoffensive because they think it'll sell better that's their business.

The thing is, they don't want "objectified woman" but they'll continue to sell violence. For example, the new comics feature genocides, characters torturing and then killing families, kids, random people, etc... Sure some of it's the bad guys, but it's still fairly brutal, especially if most people gravitate to the bad guys anyways.
But I guess that's the age old double standard of "Violence OK", "Nipples are the work of Satan."

Linguica said:

In the end, it is entirely the fault of Walt Disney, but it would be ridiculous to say that SJW's didn't have a massive hand in this as well.
It's surprising just how much they control, and how many big name companies they can influence.

The Civ said:

In the end, it is entirely the fault of Walt Disney, but it would be ridiculous to say that SJW's didn't have a massive hand in this as well.
It's surprising just how much they control, and how many big name companies they can influence.

Big companies are afraid of offending people and alienating potential customers.

Just so happens that there are people who are very easy to offend and they have an easy means to project their ire to the masses.

The Civ said:

Has there actually been a concerted effort by 'sjws' aimed at disney in regard to this particular issue?

Quast said:

Has there actually been a concerted effort by 'sjws' aimed at disney in regard to this particular issue?

See the big picture man, like, totally interconnected. Complain about boobs in one movie and the other producers like... totally follow dude. Radical.

Eh, if you get upset that you can't get bikini slave merch anymore, you've got more issues than any SJW that think it's sexist.

Clonehunter said:

The thing is, they don't want "objectified woman" but they'll continue to sell violence. For example, the new comics feature genocides, characters torturing and then killing families, kids, random people, etc... Sure some of it's the bad guys, but it's still fairly brutal, especially if most people gravitate to the bad guys anyways.
But I guess that's the age old double standard of "Violence OK", "Nipples are the work of Satan."

Violence is emotionally warm and fuzzy because it's so easy to take the repulsive forms and label them 'evil,' then take the forms that seem justified and label them 'heroic'. This translates especially well to the black / white moral dichotomy in something like star wars, and it's really palatable to watch in a feel-good way without stirring up conflicting thoughts. In turn, that makes it really easy to spoonfeed to kids, so long as they know to root against the people doing the 'bad' violence.

Sexuality, for people whose heads contain a tangled up mess of contradictory ideas about it, is harder to compartmentalize into 'good' and 'bad' in such a convenient way. Rather than make an audience grapple with the dissonance of living in a culture that is somehow both simultaneously repressed and oversexualied, it's 'safer' to keep them staring at explosions and the odd hint of suggestive content that doesn't push any thresholds or challenge any preconceptions. Then they can blissfully embrace the art product without having to explain the sexual side of their animal existence to their kids, let alone have to face it themselves.

Or something.

While I agree that the sex taboo is entirely ridiculous, the sexualization of a thing with the word "slave" in it kind of throws a wrench in your assertion.

Linguica said:

YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BE A STRAIGHT WHITE GUY IN THIS WORLD, YOU REVERSE RACIST

Desni Prenzesses belong in gowns not slave bikinis. When will Layha git her own animated movie musical?

Linguica said:

You know how America is. We polarize ourselves constantly, on every issue. So the SJWs just become another demon, rather than a group of humans. There's always some niche or demographic to be ridiculed, and some opposing demographic that is apparently "right."

Mithran Denizen said:

Violence is emotionally warm and fuzzy because it's so easy to take the repulsive forms and label them 'evil,' then take the forms that seem justified and label them 'heroic'. This translates especially well to the black / white moral dichotomy in something like star wars, and it's really palatable to watch in a feel-good way without stirring up conflicting thoughts. In turn, that makes it really easy to spoonfeed to kids, so long as they know to root against the people doing the 'bad' violence.

Coincidentally, the better Star Wars stories were the runs that blurred the lines. As it turns out, a lot of these are no longer "Canon" or whatever, making room for more flat out black and white tales.

Fan Wank character Boba Fett, for example, was a rather Gray Morals character in a lot of stories. Usually with some kind of self-conflicting set of rules and guidelines. Newer, "Canon" stories treat him as more of a Black Morals character. Badass in action scenes, perhaps, but any drama or character development seems to have been thrown out the window. Coincidentally, Vader is still being handled rather maturely, but that's a different topic.

(Fett was the example used before in terms of someone going around and torturing and killing families and kids in the new comics)

This is the nerdiest thing ever. :D How much fuss can there be over some costume in some scene of some film?

Avoozl said:

I thought the bikini was brass.

I thought the costume was spray painted plastic.

dio said:

I thought the costume was spray painted plastic.

I thought plastic was only used to make insertable objects for adult movies.

FireFish said:

I thought plastic was only used to make insertable objects for adult movies.

You have an insertable avatar.