Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Quake Live Update

Guest Unregistered account

So, the latest Quake Live update has caused tides of anger amongst its small community because A) All stats and profiles have been deleted and B) It's been ported exclusively to Steam and you have to pay £6 for it.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, but one of the best things about Quake Live (for me) was that it was a shooter I could just pick up and play anytime, for free. Now I don't have that option.
Note that Quake Live being a P2P game means cheaters can't just make an endless number of alt accounts and that there's also VAC Support now.
Plus the Loadouts that everyone hated are gone. So that's another bonus.

What are your views on the matter?

Oh no now I won't even be able to play a game that wouldn't let me set up my own servers, what a loss.

Quite frankly, IDGAF and have been meaning to uninstall QL for a while anyway. I'd rather fuck around with Quake III or OpenArena and start up my own stupid dumbgay servers with settings nobody likes without needing some sort of 'premium' account dogshit first.

The fall of Quake Live, ah yes.

I think Quake III still has a base. If I want to play, I'll just play that, with friends or whoever.

I wanted to install Quake Live some time ago. then it tried to download more than 2 gigabyte for a damn quake game. Then i cancelled and deleted the leftovers.

People should just check out the following ;

IOQUAKE3 engine for quake 3
Nquake for quakeworld
Darkplaces for quake 1
OpenArena

I started to play it the last year summer and I really liked it. Then the infamous update of the first "release" on steam came and I didn't play it since then.
Well I guess I can just free some space on the hd now...

Joe667 said:

So, the latest Quake Live update has caused tides of anger amongst its small community because A) All stats and profiles have been deleted and B) It's been ported exclusively to Steam and you have to pay £6 for it.

Oh that's great.
Plus everything that requires you to pay because Premium sucks.
I've had enough of this crap.

I really liked Quake Live when it first came out. I got it on Steam when it came out there, but when I set the resolution to match my screen (1280x800), it refused to reopen after I closed it. Hearing that you have to pay for it now is total bullshit... Looks like it's back to Quake II on N64 for me.

Frankly I would rather play the original Quake III Arena with bots and no censorship with the gore.

Inkie said:

Why not pay the extra 14 bucks for the real game?

Besides the fact that it may possibly have compatibility issues with modern OSs, there's not nearly as much activity on what few servers are still in operation, compared to QL. I think they made the change from free to not free because, according to an interview with id (I don't remember who exactly, possibly Carmack), QL wasn't generating a lot of income and thus it was a bit of a hassle to keep it active. This is still a really shitty decision though, I played it for a good while and it's pretty annoying to think that my stats are fucked. I remember awhile back, they completely removed compatibility for Mac, which meant I had to boot to PC via Bootcamp in order to play it. Not a big deal, I guess, but the way they seem to be perfectly happy fucking over their client base seems really fucking crass and shitty.

kristus said:

This thread is full of misunderstandings, misinformation and is generally just pointless.

It would be helpful for you to elaborate.

There's not much to expect from Kristus, most likely, if that was his initial reply. Elaborating what could be a valid point is hard. Vague bitching is easy.

Stats and profiles deleted? Ouch. Just make people pay money for it. Maybe that's because of having Steam workshop stats would become useless on farm maps. I remember people harvesting kills in Team Fortress 2 it was sad. No guys you're doing stats all wrong.

I did see what I thought was a price increase from nothing to $10. People don't work for free and as many free games are on Steam, I hear they want their money more than the developers. Plus well no company buys another company to make money slow. You need that money back right away, so you release HD versions of old games or start increasing the price of pills.

I like stats. There are some servers I play on exclusively because of their stat tracking. I'm happy with loadouts, but you know there should be two mode. Classic and loadout, but then it just splinters an audience.

The update for Halloween should have been more Halloween.

It's completely fine on my Windows 7 machine which has completely OTT specs originally built for 3D rendering and my shitty Windows 8 laptop which I got for transportable work.

dio said:

Stats and profiles deleted?

No, the service was changed entirely to Steams API, which means the stats and profiles couldn't even be migrated. This was to prevent the possibility of any sort of service shutdown killing the game completely.

dio said:

Just make people pay money for it.

It's no longer free to play (it's $10, with all players who previously had it for free on Steam or a subscription getting it for free). There is no longer a subscription model.

dio said:

I'm happy with loadouts, but you know there should be two mode.

This is already true.

Why would you want to play Quake Live if you already had Quake 3? It was severely gimped in comparison, from gore to weapons, to forced-loadouts.

Buckshot said:

Why would you want to play Quake Live if you already had Quake 3? It was severely gimped in comparison, from gore to weapons, to forced-loadouts.

The misinformation is real.

Buckshot said:

All the Q3 maps in Quake Live use new, HD textures, there are all new maps, and there are new weapons.