Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flammable

I have lost EVERYTHING...

What the fuck is just happend?!
Recently i asked a question here. https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/84568-slade-language-disappeared/
And right after reinstalling and configuring Slade All the files from my folder removed!
I only have what was inside of the folders, everything what remain in D:/ide disappeared, only ide.exe left...

I was configure Slade and it asked where is doom2.wad and i put D:/ide
then closed applied settings and closed Slade, right after that EVERYTHING LOST. What happend? Is there a way to get it back somehow? All the wads i was working on, all the images and texts, even the rar arhive lost... What am i gonna do...

I checked recycle bin, i tried to do the system backup of few days ago, files are lost. And this happed because i reinstalled slade. Somebody help me.

.it also could happen because i tried to use this folder as slade temp folder. but what am i gonna do now?

I don't see why the content of that folder (I'm bad at reading the Cyrillic alphabet, but it's on the D: drive so it shouldn't be the local version of Program Files) would have been virtualized inside SLADE 3's %appdata% folder.

Gez said:

I tried to make a folder, put some files in it, and then make it as Slade temp folder, then all files removed.

Ah yes, when quitting SLADE it'll try to delete everything in the temp folder. The install wizard should definitely warn about that when people use a custom temp directory...

You can try using one of these things. Note that it's extremely important that you download and install them on a DIFFERENT drive than the one from which you're trying to recover deleted data. They can't recover anything that has been overwritten by new data.

Gez said:

This does not helps. There is no way to get this back, i literally throw all of my work in trash, by a fucking mistake. Who know that temp folder will destroy every single file inside, i cant even imagine how many wads and stuff i had in it. Life is pain. Someone, tell them that they should add a huge warning "Everything inside of temp folder could be fucked." I spend days, weeks, months, for some wads. And now i just... I have no words to describe how shitty i feel.

Flammable said:

Who know that temp folder will destroy every single file inside,

Flammable said:

temp

I think you just answered your own question.

IMO not really. I would expect Slade to delete the Slade temp files, but not completely unrelated ones. Sounds like a really shity "feature" to be honest. Poor Flammable...

Попробуй всё-таки покопаться тулзами для восстановления удалённых файлов, чем раньше это сделаешь тем лучше.

Ideal situation is: Slade keeps track of what temporary files it created and only deletes those ones. When it starts up, it should check the temp folder for anything that shouldn't be there and if there is anything: ask the user before deleting any of it.

This is how applications like Audacity work, and seems like the most sensible option.

Arctangent said:

Well, because of this, I will remember the expression "temp folder" for the rest of my life.

jmickle66666666 said:

Agreed, and as i said they deffenetly should warn about what could happen.

Memfis said:

Я пытался, двумя разными прогами, находили разного рода чушь, дерьмо всякое, первым делом рванул восстанавливать систему, ни черта, все полигоны проебаны.

Flammable said:

все полигоны проебаны.

Полимеры-то хоть уцелели? :)

You should seriously try to use the undelete tools. It does not matter if it went to the trash or not. If it has not been overwritten with new data then its still there.

Chances are that most of your data can be recovered as long as YOU DO NOT write new data to the hard disk or parttion which contained your doom folder.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Download Testdisk, and do not run "photorec" but run the "Testdisk" executable. Open your partition or disk which contained your doom work folders... then select "undelete" in the testdisk menu and use its file browser to browse to that "lost" folder. Chances are that it will still be listed in red and recoverable.

That tool is quite advanced, so i can only advice it after you tested the other recovery programs listed by Gez.

Glaice said:

You were saving project files to the TEMP folder?

If I stick important files into the recycle bin, they vanish after sometime!? But they were important!

One day I lost a external hd with all my musical work that I was making for five years. I lost everything, but then I began to make a better album (from scratch).

So I understand your pain... but after a mourning phase you can make something new, even better than your last work. Don't give up and be strong!

Your scenario is like a nightmare for me. Odd they you would place such a beloved set of files into a temp folder though. It's a shame you didn't save backups and placed them somewhere else.

Look into undelete or reverse time tools mate, they do exist.

Glaice said:

You were saving project files to the TEMP folder?

No, it looks like he set his project folder as Slade's TEMP folder. End result was the same.

@Flammable - provided you haven't installed a utility that totally erases deleted files or written a bunch of new files to that drive partition, you should stand a good chance of recovering what was lost. I'd try some of the software Gez linked to.

I tried some tools to undelete lost data, none of them found what i need, i saw files that i delete years ago, just a useless crap, checked hundreds of "lost data" folders, not a chance.

Noiser said:

I guess you'r right, i will make new wads and remake some old ones. But it's gonna take time, and i need time to calm down, as my hands are still shaking.

I've been burned before by shitty coding practices assuming it knows best when deleting files.

But in this case?

You set the temporary files folder to your permanent work files folder.

There's things that can be done to make this mistake not-as-easy to make in the future (like not allowing you to set it in the installer), but there's a certain degree of basic computing comprehension missing here.

What you need to do is this: do not create any new files and power down your system (do not defragment either), copy your disk to a raw image onto ANOTHER disk, back up the image, perform file data recovery on the backup disk. Most operating systems (unless enabled) will not actually zero out files you delete because it is faster to not do so, albiet less securely.

The longer you wait to do this and the longer your disk remains active in the system, the more files you lose.

On the other hand...

It seems very wrong that Slade asks the user for a temporary directory in the first place when...

• Windows HAS a temporary directory... since Windows 3.1!
  • Some UNIX/UNIX-like systems declare $TEMP and if that is not around, there is /tmp.
Also bad behavior if it deletes temporary files of other programs also.

Doubly true since Slade already defaults to using AppData for its settings. This is where the temp folder should live. I think in cases where it stores the settings with the install it should user <slade directory>\temp or something similar - although AppData\Local\temp wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Speaking of that, the next question we should ask is did you let it store its settings in AppData? My copy defaulted to C:\users\Aliotroph\AppData\Roaming\Slade3. There's a backup folder in there.

I did not knew what "temp folder" mean, i thought it was like folder where Slade store wad backups. Instead it's what it is... This is my fault. Do not think that I am the imbecile, the fact is that I do not have perfect English language knowledge, I did not even knew of the word "temporary". Well it will be a lesson for me.

A program to restore files did not helped me, I tried.

Anyway i think it would be better if Slade warn about that, guess I'm not the only one who fucked up his projects that way.

GhostlyDeath said:

It seems very wrong that Slade asks the user for a temporary directory in the first place when...

Not when the idea is to create a fully portable copy. It allows you to run Slade anywhere regardless of environment. You could chuck it on a flash drive, load it anywhere, and not worry about if the Windows temp folder exists over a network.

GhostlyDeath said:

Also bad behavior if it deletes temporary files of other programs also.

It did no such thing. It deleted its own temp folder.

Flammable said:

I did not knew what "temp folder" mean

And you didn't ask?

Edward850 said:

And you didn't ask?

I was working in slade since 2013, I just did not give the value of the temporary folder, ignored it, (Pressed NEXT NEXT NEXT APPLY). This time when I reinstalled Slade to fix a bug with the coding language, I decided to set up all the settings of Slade like i supposed to do in a first place, in fact I thought that the "D:/ide" was always a temporary folder, I just never even thought of that, and ofc before that day temp folder was somewhere in Appdata. I screwed up.

Flammable said:

.it also could happen because i tried to use this folder as slade temp folder. but what am i gonna do now?

Then you have a real problem, bud. Sorry. I mean, you can check APPDATA and recover your files, but changing the config in SLADE is optimal.

Edward850 said:

Not when the idea is to create a fully portable copy. It allows you to run Slade anywhere regardless of environment. You could chuck it on a flash drive, load it anywhere, and not worry about if the Windows temp folder exists over a network.

Um. I don't think you thought that through.

jmickle66666666 said:

keeps track of what temporary files it created and only deletes those ones. When it starts up, it should check the temp folder for anything that shouldn't be there and if there is anything: ask the user before deleting any of it.

Literally how every program I have ever used, uses its temp folder. Only most programs don't ask, they simply ignore files not created my themselves. It is/should be exactly the same way an uninstall works. An uninstall doesn't just delete the folder, rather it only deletes the files it knows it put there.

Edward850 said:

The temporary directory in Windows should always exist and in most cases (even networked ones) it will be local to the system rather than being remote (assuming a normal sane remote user, local installation setup). Virtually all desktop home systems and most systems you find at schools/corporations would have a locally stored temporary directory.

If the temporary directory is read-only or does not exist, then the Windows installation is broken.