Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

AHAHAC

97%, 0/3 secrets.

First things first... is it really that difficult to come up with names? I know you don't really adhere to mapping with a theme, but I dunno, when the names feel like random pounding on a keyboard it just feels a bit lazy. Even if it has nothing to do with the map itself, it makes a bad first impression.

Overall, it's a decent map. Very orthogonal and with a wide variety of textures, but that's kinda your style so it's to be expected. The start is pretty fun, with lots of little tricky bits to keep the player on his toes.

Then... that AV/Caco/PE room, holy shit. Maybe I'm missing a "trick" but this is certainly a wild spike in difficulty in the middle of the map, especially since the rest of the map returns to the same level as the beginning. Definitely died a lot of times savescumming my way through this one, before barely surviving with ~10 hp and almost no ammo. Which made the presence of toxic slime in the next area a bit of a downer, even if there is a small amount of health and a suit nearby.

Unfortunately, the map takes a bit of a downward spiral here, as the switch-hunt maze between the blue door is alternatingly boring and frustrating. I eventually had to open up DB2 to figure out where to go, not good. I think the bit of progression here

Spoiler

opening a hidden wall inside a teleport cubby

is something best left for a secret, not required progression. The bit changing the slime in the next area was pretty cool, but frustration quickly returns since it's again completely unclear what to do (open DB2, apparently a teleport opens back in the same spot that gave trouble before). Finally grab the yellow key, get joked around by the mapmaker a bit, then a bit of a blah fight behind the yellow door and finished.

(Also, what's up with the texture on this switch? It noticeably jumps up a pixel or two when activated)

Are you laughing to the point of choking, or is that Cyrillic for ananas?

Gez, it is both. :) I used Russian for pineapple because I already used Russian for coconut in my previous release so it seemed fitting, but also because the map has some evil parts that will probably frustrate people.

Magnuzblitz, the arch-vile room is easy if you know what to do. I can do it with 100% success rate. You just need to really think to figure out the strategy. I'm surprised you managed to get through it at all without figuring that one out!

About that switch, hmm, maybe I made a little mistake when adding it in XWE (it's not a standard iwad switch). Anyway, good job finishing the map despite the frustrating parts.

Yea, no thanks. I'm not into that kind of progression. It seems that most of the effort went into fucking around with player than to make it engaging. Also the map is under detailed almost ugly with very flat areas and almost no light changes.

For the record, I didn't quit out of frustration, more like lack of interest.

Memfis said:

Gez, it is both. :) I used Russian for pineapple because I already used Russian for coconut in my previous release so it seemed fitting, but also because the map has some evil parts that will probably frustrate people.

My bad re: the name then.

Magnuzblitz, the arch-vile room is easy if you know what to do. I can do it with 100% success rate. You just need to really think to figure out the strategy. I'm surprised you managed to get through it at all without figuring that one out!

After beating the battle I figured out that one of the corner rooms only has one door that opens, so something to do with that? I'm not sure what I did to unlock it in the first place, though.

No, that one is for the blue armor secret. I guess I'll wait a bit and if noone figures out what to do there I'll post a demo or something.

The way I did the archvile encounter (not the first try, I died a couple times) was alert each archvile individually and lure them to the corner rooms where they'd be stuck since they can't open the fast doors. Not sure if that is the intended strategy Memfis is talking about. Cool map, btw, though I had a really hard time finding that shoot switch at the beginning (I'm mostly annoyed with myself on that one and not the map, though :P).

Anyway, I wasn't prepared for the progression difficulty (hence the "I feel violated" comment earlier), but the fights felt very far from filler this time and were often pretty creative.

Very nice 4shockblast, you solved that room correctly!

IMO it's a kinda clever idea if I so myself. :D At least I haven't seen anything similar in any other wads that I've played.

Is there a demo for that? I don't manage to get the archevile/cacos/pain elemental room. :/ I don't understand how 4shockblast alerts each archvile individually. All the time, I wake these archeviles at the same time.