Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Warcraft The Movie

If this movie is a success, then that would possibly lead to a movie on Warcraft 2. Much of the Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Diablo, and StarCraft back story are in the manuals which when you buy the game today those are not even included at all (well they are except that it is just a few pages in a small CD booklet rather than a giant book).

Warcraft 4 (an RTS) would be nice, but I doubt I would play it since it lack computers for fancy new game tech.

If the movie started in 3 or even WoW, it might turn into a fanscrew with tons of screaming crying fans just spamming "OMG PUT MY SUPER LEVEL 90 CHARACTER IN THIS MOVIE!!!! IF NOT I HATE YOU BLIZZARD AND I WILL NEVER PLAY ANY OF YOUR GAMES EVER AGAIN!".

It's a tough decision to re-create the game's history. I think it could potentially 'ruin' the experience and history for most of the original fans. However if the event was never shown / played then it may work (and this might be what the Warcraft movie is doing regarding Thrall?) as long as they do work around or in line with the game's timeline and plots then I'm content. They should not ignore or change the story or make a whole new universe just so the movie can be lazy and don't bother with plot holes.

But it was Warcraft 3 that made me interested in the story, otherwise I just played the original Warcrafts just for the game. The Orc vs Human thing isn't exciting to me.

Oh and for those World of Warcraft fans, I think it's best we just ignore any of it existed. So how did the almighty world threatening Lich King perish? Well about 40 self proclaimed Heroes from either the Horde or Alliance said "Time for Epic LO0T L0LZZ" and defeated him. Also killed Illadin... like ages ago. And any other significant villain you can remember, dead for loot.

Chezza said:

If it's based on the original Warcraft games then shouldn't the Orcs be corrupted demonic slaves invading Azeroth?

They are. The good orcs are part of the Frostwolf Clan, who did not drink the demon juice.

Chezza said:

It's a tough decision to re-create the game's history. I think it could potentially 'ruin' the experience and history for most of the original fans. However if the event was never shown / played then it may work (and this might be what the Warcraft movie is doing regarding Thrall?) as long as they do work around or in line with the game's timeline and plots then I'm content. They should not ignore or change the story or make a whole new universe just so the movie can be lazy and don't bother with plot holes.

But it was Warcraft 3 that made me interested in the story, otherwise I just played the original Warcrafts just for the game. The Orc vs Human thing isn't exciting to me.

Oh and for those World of Warcraft fans, I think it's best we just ignore any of it existed. So how did the almighty world threatening Lich King perish? Well about 40 self proclaimed Heroes from either the Horde or Alliance said "Time for Epic LO0T L0LZZ" and defeated him. Also killed Illadin... like ages ago. And any other significant villain you can remember, dead for loot.

Actually, Tirion Fordring defeated the Lich King, we just helped. Even if you look at the Warcraft 3 dungeon maps, the heroes never do anything on their own, they always have a handful of soldiers. In WoW, we just happen to be elite versions of those soldiers.

DooM_RO said:

They are. The good orcs are part of the Frostwolf Clan, who did not drink the demon juice.

Actually, Tirion Fordring defeated the Lich King, we just helped.

I don't give a shit what the lore says, he sat at the entrance of the dungeon doing nothing while waiting for us to clear the path and the moment he steps up to the lich king he gets encased in a block of ice. He's all talk.

Hell, at least akama takes a few shots at illidan before running away.

Watched Warcraft. I had good fun with it but at the same time I was quite disappointed. It just... doesn't feel "big time". I can't see it as something epic\legendary, it's more like a mindless fantasy flick. Which is not what I was expecting. IMO it should have been wonderful and imaginative like The Lord of the Rings movies for example, but it's just too simple, I guess mainly because the world isn't developed at all. You get a few mildly curious moments like the way that orc girl reacts to what humans say or the use of the "turn creature into a sheep" spell. But overall you don't really get to see what humans, orcs and other races are like, how their societies are structured, almost nothing is said about their cultures, about the role of magic in everyday life and so on. So it's like there is nothing to capture your imagination, to make you go like "wooow, this world is so interesting, I wish I could live in it too!" (which was my reaction to the Harry Potter books for example).

Dunno, there is enough good stuff to enjoy it (I liked the orc girl, Medivh, orcs looked quite badass, the king's plan at the end was cool and properly dramatic) but I feel like it could have been sooooo much better.

Chezza said:

heh if you know Warhammer it would never be this soft. We are talking Inquisitors burning people, Chaos using peoples faces as armor decorations, non dramatic Orcs who just want to slaughter, an abundance of oversized rats and so forth.

For some reason this made me laugh uncontrollably, very good point Chezza... I actually visited this thread with the full mind frame that I'd rather see a proper Warhammer film, either in the fantasy setting or 40k during the first 4 books of the Horus Heresy. Can't understand why it hasn't been done... those books are excellent film material.

dew said:

I find this laughably bad. The plot already seems just tacked onto the inevitable orcs vs. humans war, so it's basically just a distraction and maybe a setup for a heroic saviour uniting everyone against A Big Bad in movie 4, 7 or 21 depending on sales. It's also surprising how videogamey and cheap the CGI looks - I'd swear some of their game intros looked better, heh.

With you on this one... my first thoughts were it's basically Avatar meets Planet of the Apes dulled right down. It has to appeal to WoW nerds, so stuff it with max feels and flowery graphics.

dew said:

I think the movie company is doing it wrong. I think they should've started with the best they have to offer story-wise - the Arthas/lich-king stuff in W3.

Memfis said:

Yeah, when I first heard that they were doing a Warcraft movie, I was 100% sure that it would be based on the third game which is obviously the strongest in the story aspect.

One theory I read said that was originally going to be the case, but it got changed later on during the previous expansion...causing all of the controversial stuff that happened after. (the rushed and delayed current expansion instead of the one they were working on originally, half it's features being dropped before release, senior people quitting the team, other projects being cancelled etc.)

Not that I care anymore ofc, all that nonsense (plus the total dumbing-down etc.) was more than enough to make me walk away for good.