Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Doom Builder and node building

So Doom Builder (2.0) builds nodes when you hit the play button and test your wad. Does it do the same when saving your map, or do you have to manually (outside of the editor) build nodes after saving a wad, to accurately check visplanes, have it ready for release and such?

Yes, it should build nodes every time you save your map (as long as at least something changed since the last time you saved it). The only thing you need to do here is to make sure that you have the same nodebuilder selected for testing and for saving map in the options. It is possible to have different ones selected, I don't really know why it's an option though. Maybe so that people could set faster nodebuilders for quick testing.

I think only in very old editors you need to build nodes separately after saving the map. I remember having to do that back when I used Yadex editor.

Yeah, all versions of DB will build nodes when saving the map.

Memfis said:

I think only in very old editors you need to build nodes separately

Oh god, that takes me back... ancient DOS versions of DEEP and the coin-toss on whether the fucking thing would behave and build the nodes or fail miserably with a disgraceful crash.

Probably my fault, but it was a dreadful time all the same.

BaronOfStuff said:

Yeah, all versions of DB will build nodes when saving the map.
Oh god, that takes me back... ancient DOS versions of DEEP and the coin-toss on whether the fucking thing would behave and build the nodes or fail miserably with a disgraceful crash.

Probably my fault, but it was a dreadful time all the same.

DEU 5.21 would also sometimes crash building the nodes. This had the unfortunate consequence of having your WAD be destroyed.