Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

There are TWO IWADs in the HacX iOS app!

when I downloaded HacX, thinking that it would make a good alternative for Doom Classic app, it was fun to play with the simple controls.

Anyway, I used my compression manager, I use 7zip, to look inside the IPA file (which is the app file used to install the app provided) and found the following:
-prboom.wad
-HACX.wad
-doom2.wad

prboom wad means it uses prboom.
HacX wad is the actual game.
Doom 2 wad is (INSERT LINE).

This app is free, so why is Doom 2 in there? Doom 2 isn't free, so... Why?
Plus, HacX is stand-alone, so it doesn't require any IWADs to function.

HacX isn't actually stand-alone. There was a stand-alone release (Hacx 1.2) but not all ports can use it as an IWAD; and the Hacx app might predate it.

As for doom2.wad, is it the actual Doom II or is it Freedoom?

Just checked the contents, and it was Freedoom.

But it shouldn't need it to run HacX.

Voros said:

The sourceport you've got is DUMB, Get D-Touch , Oh wait ... there's no IOS Release :) .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The sourceport you've got is DUMB

Didn't know that DUMB got an iOS release ;-)

It was an interesting, early attempt to make a "Doom compatible" clone not based on Doom's source code, but unfortunately all links seem to have succumbed to bit rot :-/

Does anyone still have a copy of the tarballs?

Voros said:

Yes it does need it.

Here, look at this thread. Now scroll down to find a Xaserpost.

Xaser said:

It would be nice if the HacX source was compiled into a proper WAD (I think someone started that but it was never finished) and it would be super nice if it was added to the ZDoom list of default WADs... :)

That would be really weird if somebody were to do that any time soon.

Translation: it had not been done yet by the point the Hacx apps were released.

Which means it's not using Hacx 1.2. Therefore it is not using a standalone Hacx IWAD. Therefore it does need an actual IWAD. Therefore there is only one IWAD in the Hacx IOS app, and that IWAD is the Freedoom doom2.wad.

Neat-o, thanks! Yet this all just reminded us of how frail Doom's history is (even if DUMB was, admittedly, only a tangentially related project).

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The sourceport you've got is DUMB, Get D-Touch , Oh wait ... there's no IOS Release :) .

I have D-Touch on Android and HacX on iOS...

iOS could probably handle D-Touch since it uses OpenGLES just like Android but there isn't likely to be any profit to be had because Apple would never allow it on the Appstore since it would require users to provide their own data files. In Apple's eyes, that makes it an "emulator".

MetroidJunkie said:

iOS could probably handle D-Touch since it uses OpenGLES just like Android but there isn't likely to be any profit to be had because Apple would never allow it on the Appstore since it would require users to provide their own data files. In Apple's eyes, that makes it an "emulator".

So technically, Gameception is an emulator...

Someone could make D-Touch on iOS besides the App Store, like Cydia for jailbroken devices and PP25 store and emu4ios.net for non-jailbroken ones.

Voros said:

So technically, Gameception is an emulator...

No.

Just because the App Store might be hopelessly wrong about terminology doesn't mean we should make the same blatant mistakes they do.

It's kind of funny considering actual emulators like iDOS 2 are allowed on the Appstore because they have the games built in rather than having the user provide the files. Apparently, the only reason the original iDOS was pulled was you could use it to gain read access to system files. You heard right, READ access. You had no write access but Apple was so paranoid that just being able to see them was enough to get it pulled.