Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Is there some kind of megawad for Brutal Doom?

Note: I know posting a Brutal Doom thread is usually led to a rant discussion, but its only a question.

You all know Brutal Doom, right? I'm sure you do. Pretty sure a number of you guys joined Doomworld because of Brutal Doom (I only discovered it 2 months ago). If so, you must know how boring the maps and gameplay is now, it just doesn't synchronize right.
Yes, I know Recurring Nightmare...Not looking for remakes of Doom 1 maps (No offense to the creator).

A SPECIAL WAD that makes Brutal Doom perfect with the maps, weapons, monsters and etc.

Yes, I tried After the Holocaust...Not looking for one map, but a whole campaign.

Any megawads out there made for Brutal Doom?

Note: No, I'm not a fanatic of Brutal Doom, its too weird to play again and again and again... I'm fine with good old vanilla Doom!

Although not 'made for' Brutal Doom, you could do worse than giving Alien Vendetta a try, because it's fantastic, and pretty good with Brutal, too.

Gez said:

Doesn't Brutal Doom v20 come with its own levelset now?

No. IIRC, Mark's still working on it, or at the very least, polishing it up.

And pretty much any vanilla megawad that doesn't contain any new sprites and/or DeHackEd patches that alter enemy behavior will work fine with Brütal Doom, but I wouldn't try the Hell Revealed series unless you plan on playing it in God Mode. ;P

arclite has made two pwads, the first of which is a megaWAD that mentions that it was designed around Brutal Doom, and i assume that the second - an episode - shares a similar intent. i haven't played either of them (yet) but the vast majority of the opinion appears to be positive, so you might give them a shot

joe-ilya said:

Anything is brutal doom compatible if you're brave enough.

Personally I recommend Demonsteele + Brutal Doom + whatever map set you want.

J.B.R said:

Well Chezza is working on a megawad for Brutal Doom, check it here:https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74477-operation-uac-seeking-feedback/
Also i tried the megawad Sgt.Mark IV is working on and it looks good imo.

Thanks for the shout out J.B.R

Yup I'm working on one and completed 7 levels so far. In fact I have been requesting people to test it out and provide me some constructive feedback but no takers thus far.

The first few levels may not feel like it needs to BD except for a few triggered moments but the balancing and pickups are definitely designed for it. However once you reach level 6 + 7 you may notice the heavy influence of Brutal Doom mechanics.

Strictly version 19 unfortunately, perhaps once I complete it I will make a v20 version. It would be more of a matter of testing and adjustments.

Doom 2 Reloaded and Scythe 2 are the best wads that works with it. You really should wait for Starter Pack/Extermination Day demo that I am going to release with v20b. It still might take a while for release, but if you definitely MUST play it right now, you can get an unfinished build at Brutal Doom's FB testing group. All the 32 maps are already playable, just featuring some minor bugs. (it also even features my previous maps posted on idgames, such as Neightborhood From Hell, City Assault, and After the Holocaust, but the versions included on this megawad are much better, featuring more detail, better performance optimization, many areas remade, and better textures/sprites. I might even ask the archive maintainers to take down the single maps after I finish and upload Extermination Day).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/707813602662148/

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Doom 2 Reloaded and Scythe 2 are the best wads that works with it. You really should wait for Starter Pack/Extermination Day demo that I am going to release with v20b. It still might take a while for release, but if you definitely MUST play it right now, you can get an unfinished build at Brutal Doom's FB testing group. All the 32 maps are already playable, just featuring some minor bugs. (it also even features my previous maps posted on idgames, such as Neightborhood From Hell, City Assault, and After the Holocaust, but the versions included on this megawad are much better, featuring more detail, better performance optimization, many areas remade, and better textures/sprites. I might even ask the archive maintainers to take down the single maps after I finish and upload Extermination Day).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/707813602662148/

Are you... For real?... I thought you were banned...

Anyway, be sure to give a heads-up when you're done. :)

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Extermination Day

I enjoyed your previous maps, Sergeant_Mark_IV, so I'm looking forward to the release of Extermination Day!

Question to Mark

How did you give those mirrors in that After the Holocaust map? i thought it was impossible for the Doom engine...

Voros said:

Question to Mark

How did you give those mirrors in that After the Holocaust map? i thought it was impossible for the Doom engine...

Nothing is impossible with the power of the almighty zdoom engine, all thanks to the simple, yet powerful code language know as Decorate.

J.B.R said:

Nothing is impossible with the power of the almighty zdoom engine, all thanks to the simple, yet powerful code language know as Decorate.

Mirrors are a mapping feature and don't have any relation to DECORATE -- scifista42 linked to an article about them in the post just above yours. DECORATE is for defining monsters, weapons, and other actors.