Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom with MIDI sound effects

Earlier today it was discovered that the DMX sound library used in the Doom games supported a heretofore-unknown sound format. It's of course been long known that DMX format 0 was for PC speaker sounds, and DMX format 3 was for your normal digitized sound effects, but DMX formats 1 and 2 were pretty much a mystery. Turns out they are for something that DMX called GSS, which was, in short, a way for a game to use specially crafted MIDI files directly as sound effects.

I suggested to jmickle66666666 that it might be possible to convert the PC speaker sound effects into this special MIDI format. Turns out the format was nearly identical, so jmickle66666666 made a little script to convert all the PC speaker sounds into the MIDI-esque format.

Then using doom2.exe and only doom2.exe, you first have to edit the default.cfg to set snd_sfxdevice to "6". Then you can use this WAD: http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/gss/dmx_midi.zip

Now we just need to wait for Chocolate Doom to fully support this vital vanilla-engine feature.

Is it possible to have it choose various instruments instead of all Acoustic Piano?

How about tuned frequency maps? I imagine you all are still tinkering with this but I think it'd be quite magically to tune all of the sounds to, say, the major scale!

Someone should create a map which is essentially made up of giant instruments for its architecture, this would fit it perfectly.

Maybe can work better with OPL sounds? I mean, I don't know how this stuff works, but there some DOS games that only uses fm synthesis for sound effects. Wolf 3D have this option too.

This one is my favorite:

I guess this means the mobile Doom RPG sound effects could be adapted to the PC version now! Lol.

Hm, that's strange. The OPL won't work unless you rename the sounds DAxxx (I don't have a wad on hand currently for you to test with, at work currently), but 6 should work with the one provided. Is the midi soundtrack playing correctly?

On the one hand it was kind of expectable, given that Wolf3D used "midi sounds" as well (actually, carefully crafted OPL sequences, but whatever). On the other hand, I can see why they decided to just let it die quietly.

After giving the video a quick watch, I'm glad they didn't make use of this, heh. That said, how closely could various sound effects be made using standard midi sounds?

Honestly I expected the mysterious sound formats to be for Adlib (OPL) sounds. There's precedent for that: the AudioT files used in previous id games such as Wolfenstein 3D or Commander Keen had a three tiered approach for sounds: PC speaker, Adlib, and PCM. (But then it turns out the PCM sound format from AudioT was never actually used, and instead for Wolfenstein they put the PCM in VSWAP and in a different PCM format.)

That it turned out to be for MIDI sound effects was a surprise.

It is time for a Doom The Musical WAD! Could also make a Doom Band with DeHackEd and some way to trigger the sounds. Then before you know it, people will be remaking D_E1M1 in the game similar to how they do it with Mario Paint.

The MIDI stuff can allow for multiple sounds to be played at once rather than only a single sound with the PC speaker. Also, the MIDI sounds could be balanced to either left/right and the further away a sound is the lower it plays.

Luckily for me I insisted on using raw MIDI access (instead of giving an entire MIDI to some library) so C ReMooD could easily implement this feature. However, I am in the middle of a rewrite.

Warning! Once you hear them, they cannot be unheard!

Speaking of MIDI, I never did get to hear them back in the old days when I had to run it in DOS, so I missed out

...'course, I was just a kid and didn't know much

Cool stuff. I'd love to see more sound effects. Bet you can get some nice monster screams using the voice instruments.