• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

NH3 (limit-removing)

Memfis said:

Nice midi by Ribbiks too.

Heh.

(this is totally contributing to the conversation, honest!)

Recorded with sound ON I hope?? (I think you reacted to the sound of a revenant trying to punch you from below)
This place after the first bridge looked weird on demo (SSG shots not hitting imps sometimes, hate when that happens...).

cool map. I like the concept because there's an important distinction between being able to beat something, and being able to beat it without mistakes :D

not fda friendly (hrrrrrrng @ the hitscanner placement) so I quickly resorted to playing with saves. had fun all the way through, love the tod-trademarks of clever space re-use and emphasis on verticality. demo was fun to watch, as always

This wad was right up my alley and had a lot of nice architectural flourishes. I especially liked the way to the BFG spire and the interior of the cave between the two bridges.

Here's a failed FDA and a successful first exit after coming back from a short tea break. The shotgun guys and chaingunners on the stairs caught me out on my first encounter with them. Thankfully I noticed the two sneaky buggers hiding the little cave before it was too late to prevent them from taking what little health i had left. Third attempt had a very rough start and came to an undignified end in the second major outdoor arena. The pop-up imps made me panic and then I walked into a fireball.

The second half of the map feels almost generous when compared to the struggle to establish a foothold. Listening for monster sounds and spamming the BFG into obviously dodgy areas seemed to be the way to avoid the worst of it. The player is furnished with plenty of ammo and both the absence of hitscanners and nasty pin situations is notable. It was still tense as hell, mind. The final encounter would have been routine if circumstances were different but it managed to put my teeth on edge. Very cathartic and satisfying to hit the switch at the end.

I'm a big fan of these wads that play around with reducing a player's starting health or otherwise starving them of health pickups. They're a lot of fun to try to figure out on the fly.

Omg what a frustrating nightmare, hahaha. Beautiful place to die a million times, though.

Here is my initial, blind run and my like 5th or something; last one before I gave up on a demo. I then played through it with a bit of save-scumming and somehow came out on top. Then, for a little extra punishment, I made another demo and finished it off by being out-sniped by a chaingunner (epic fail) haha. So three demos in all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qy0ltruiwb5n2m/NH3.zip?dl=0

I really liked the way everything was designed in this map, from the looks to the gun placement and method of obtaining to the encounters; fun stuff. I found it funny that the BFG was easier to find and obtain than the RL, but their places were fitting. It definitely gets easier as it goes, though each AV encounter was tense. I like the gimmick of the map, but at the same time it wears heavily on my nerves to play something that isn't forgiving at all (no health pick-ups). Still though, what a fun map regardless.

Great job man!

ToD might be my favorite map author working today. I don't even try to play his maps though, but the map design, the architecture, the texture use, everything is just very beautiful in it's uniqueness, and I just love watching the demos of the maps. So, keep up the awesome work!

Glad you guys like it :) Memfis, still with no sound, but that revenant sometimes wanders out so I always look for it just in case.

Here's a max/reality in 10:11.

Glad to see this uploaded to /idgames! Tried it again and failed less than half-way on the demo, but beat it with 4 saves. 11:something (plus many deaths). I love this map!

Great job on it man!

*Edit*
You know what this map could really use... armo-- *ducks a tomato*

Heh, just kidding. Man TOD I watched your flawless demo and I'm just about speechless on it; that was amazing to watch! This demo isn't nearly as good as that, but here's my failed run from earlier today: demo6:42

Idk what I was thinking there at the very end, but it was prolly along the lines of "Oh shit I'm trapped" and "what a horrible way for this to end" haha. Maybe one day I'll be able to record a demo for this map the whole way through though. After watching your demo I know a few more tricks to the map as well. Great job once again and I look forward to your next map!

*Edit*
Thanks scifista; I have no idea what most acronyms I don't pay attention to mean. Never been much of a demo person myself, but I've only recently begun getting interested in them. I suppose there is a certain amount of fun in trying. Thanks again

^ FDA means First Demo Attempt, aka a demo of a map which you've never played before. A demo of a map which you've played before is just a demo.