Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Supposed Doom 3 beta

Apparently there is currently a file called "Doom.III.Beta.v1.31.cracked.by.Schlossberg.zip" doing the rounds in various places on the 'net. I found it (a file 453.65 megs in size) easily enough myself.

Quite clearly this isn't the real thing (at least I hope not, if it is then there's a mole, either at ID or their publisher/distributor :( ), but I thought I'd warn everyone here, as whatever this file really is, it'll probably mean we get a string of newbies coming along asking where they can find it.

so what was the beta like?

also, it isn't that unlikely that a doom3 beta will be leaked. i mean, look at whats been happening in the music industry for example, once one person outside of id gets it everyone will get it.

I wouldn't know, I didn't download it, let alone play it. I was going to download it, just to see what it actually was, but I can pretty much confirm that it's fake already :|

I originally came across the file on eDonkey, but out of the 50 or so people on there who've got it, everyone only has the last few megabytes or so.

It doesn't seem to have a virus, as I ran the latest Norton Antivirus on it, so obviously someone made this file just to piss off gullible people, rather than for any really malicious purpose.

Yeah, but id is a very small company.
I'm sure there is no way, short of pulling a James Bond stunt, that someone could get a working version of the game out.

DaJuice: No-one said anything about it being a 'working' beta.

When there are real leaked betas of games (something which is, fortunately, a very rare event), they are pretty much always so bugged that they're barely playable.

The Unreal Tournament 2 beta shown at E3 was leaked, and apparently that was a case in point; from what I've heard it did technically work, but it was so lagged on most people's computers that hardly anyone could play it.

gatewatcher: As I said, it appears to be a fake file on eDonkey that you can't download due to no-one having the vast majority of the file.

EDIT: only 8.34 megs, or 1.8%, can actually be downloaded.

NiGHTMARE said:

gatewatcher: As I said, it appears to be a fake file on eDonkey that you can't download due to no-one having the vast majority of the file.

ok heh

WHO would actually be gullible enough to think it was Doom III? The author clearly thought people would be.

GS-1719: Judging by the amount of people trying to download it from eDonkey, quite a lot of people, obviously.

Lord Flathead: It's not a rumour, there really is a file that is supposedly a Doom 3 beta. It's not though, obviously.

I very much doubt ID would confirm the existence of a leaked beta anyway. That would just mean that even more people try to get hold of it.

That's one big BULLSHIT, all this DOOM III Beta talk!

The game is nowhere NEAR being in a beta state!!

Don't belive any of this shit!

Dima said:

That's one big BULLSHIT, all this DOOM III Beta talk!

Don't belive any of this shit!

Don't worry Dima, we don't. Damnit! My download of LEAKED DOOM 3 BETA ID SOFTWARE 1337455 HA><0R DOWNLOAD NOW.zip got disconnected.

Dima said:

I don't know about that. They are releasing the game in 6 to 18 months. It can't be too far from complete!

Dima: uh, people had already said that in 6/10 posts here, so why say it again?

453.65 megs in size? Damn. That's huge. You'd think that a filesize that big would deter people and open their eyes, but apparently not...

Someone with a T3 or T1 should try to get it. Thats a huge file for dsl or cable. Just to see if it is real. But if you think about it, that is a pretty big file for a beta. Whole games are about that or a little bigger. So someone probably just renamed something huge.

If it's not real, this thread is pointless. If it were real, I'd have to remove this thread because Doomworld is opposed against illegal Doom-related material. Thread closed.