Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rdwpa

Adjusting to a new mouse.

I had to get a new mouse. Even after tweaking all of the settings in prBoom+ and the control panel, I can't quite get the old control yet. When I have to turn a lot, I bump into walls and stuff, or get wedged between groups of monsters because I misjudge the movement required. It's sort of saddening, because I spent quite a lot of time improving my Doom skill level recently, only to see the hard-earned rewards melt away. Worse, it doesn't feel fun to move from point X to point Y in a room anymore; it feels like an awkward, poorly coordinated chore. :(

Has anyone battled through this "adjustment period" and come out the other side? How long did it take? It's quite unpleasant.

I personally had no problems with the DOS Doom version although i came late i set up the controls the way i felt it comfy,i set movement keys to WASD, and slightly increased Mouse sensivity and got it easy to play .

When I switched from ZDoom to PrBoom-plus I think it literally took me months to adapt to the new type of mouse. It can be a really long process.

Memfis said:

When I switched from ZDoom to PrBoom-plus I think it literally took me months to adapt to the new type of mouse. It can be a really long process.

Yeah I went through this in August, when I wanted to start making Boom-format maps. I actually managed to get better in prBoom+ than I was in ZDoom in just a month or so. Probably because I was pretty terrible back then.

I decided to buy yet another mouse, one more comparable to the old one. I'll take the day off from Dooming. :)

The same thing has happened to me more than once before, you'll get through it. I've found that trying different mousepads (as opposed to using a new mouse with an old pad) can sometimes help. It's also not necessarily helpful to prioritize your old sensitivity settings over the new mouse's incidental performance--if you used to be spot-on but now are overswinging/overdodging, try dulling the settings a bit. Ultimately the magic comes from you and your sense of anticipation, not from a 'perfect' setup, and on that point, if all else fails, you might try getting accustomed to the mouse in a different game for a bit (for me it's usually Blood) before coming back to Doom. No sense banging your head against a wall.

Just for conversation's sake, when I go to play a (G)ZDoom WAD (which I generally only do for wads that need the port to function correctly), I usually find my performance also tanks for the first level or two, maybe even more if it's a WAD that has some tough fights. There's just something about player movement in ZDoom versus most other major ports that's different, always feels to me like there's a subtle tic when you stop and change directions or the like that I can never seem to quite get used to, whereas by this point I've internalized some of the other simulation differences (hitbox handling, etc.) and can act accordingly.

Does the new mouse have customizable DPI settings? I've been through multiple mice, and I always get one with such an option so I can fine tune my settings to the values I know I am comfortable with.

Demon of the Well said:

Ultimately the magic comes from you and your sense of anticipation ...

Yeah, one thing I noticed is that aim is secondary in Doom to moving well and actually avoiding fireballs. My aim doesn't compare poorly to quite good players, yet I have a habit of dying in ways that good players don't. I was able to "reality" the rev training scenario a few times without even turning that often, as long as I focused on dodging / herding / paying attention to attack telegraphing sprites.

Rayzik said:

Does the new mouse have customizable DPI settings? I've been through multiple mice, and I always get one with such an option so I can fine tune my settings to the values I know I am comfortable with.

I had no idea what this was until I looked it up. Thanks a bunch. Fiddling around with that helped a lot, and I'm within 90% of the previous feel.

A few years back, I went from using a cheap mouse with standard Windows mouse acceleration to a proper high DPI mouse and Windows accel "disabled" (through those MarkC registry fixes or whatever it is), it took me a good month to adjust. Once I was finally comfortable, I asked myself what was the point, as I didn't feel like my accuracy improved in any meaningful way.

Then a couple months ago this newer mouse died and I bought a new one. Only took three days to get used to it.

I think it makes sense. If you remove acceleration, smoothing and all that jazz, then there's only one setting to tweak to find the experience you're familiar with, sensivity.

To find a good input device is a pain in the ...4$$!
I came finally to those trackballs...
I'm using an ancient Logitech (thumb-) trackball with cable. When Logitech took them off the market (some eight years or so ago), I bought SIX of them, so I'll never have to switch to a different system...