Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Doom Builder 2.1 lockup

Ever since Windows 7 did one of its self-patches the other day, Doom Builder 2.1 freezes after I load one of my usual maps for editing.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I couldn't fix the problem so what I did is I reinstalled Doom Builder and then upgraded the files to GZDoom Builder and it seems to work fine. I have also turned off Windows Updates ..... makes the computer faster.

I had an update, BB2 stopped working. Although, to be honest, I have been using GZDoom builder for a little while now and only checked my DB2 yesterday. Indeed, it did not work.

But, I had a new update the same day and now, it seems to be working pretty fine on my end.

I have windows 7.

pcorf said:

I reinstalled Doom Builder and then upgraded the files to GZDoom Builder

You should have installed GZDoom Builder separately. GZDoom Builder is not an "upgrade" to Doom Builder 2, it's a separate standalone editor.

Soundblock said:

Guess its time to get into GZDoom Builder.

You won't regret it.

It might be a little intimidating at first but you'll quickly find out it's just Doombuilder 2 with everything you didn't know you wanted.

40oz said:

You won't regret it.

It might be a little intimidating at first but you'll quickly find out it's just Doombuilder 2 with everything you didn't know you wanted.

Except a 3D camera pointer exactly represented in the 2D views? I used to use this to point to texture seams, now its back to counting pixels to align these.

Oh well, there's always something - I'll adapt.

Soundblock said:

3D camera pointer exactly represented in the 2D views?

It's in the Thing list, under "Editor Things -> Visual Mode Camera". Once you place it into the map, it should stay there and update its position whenever you switch to 3D mode and fly around, as long as you have "Sync Camera Position Between 2D and 3D modes" in "Tools -> Preferences -> Interface" set to true (which is set by default).

Soundblock said:

Oh well, there's always something - I'll adapt.

GZDoom Builder is under constant development by MaxEd. If you're uncomfortable with something, send him a problem report / feature suggestion. :)

I had some problems too with doom builder 2 yesterday. But after I searched for new updates for windows 7 and installed them doom builder 2 seems to run fine as before.

scifista42 said:

[...]update its position whenever you switch to 3D mode and fly around, as long as you have "Sync Camera Position Between 2D and 3D modes" in "Tools -> Preferences -> Interface" set to true (which is set by default).

Well that's queer. It doesn't, and the flag is checked. I tried unchecking the flag to see if there was a difference, and now the arrow's pointing to where I'm looking, kinda like with DB2.1. Dunno why it would be different over here, but its working opposite to what it advertises...

Soundblock said:

Well that's queer. It doesn't, and the flag is checked.

From the Changelog:

[r2411] by m-x-d 2015-10-09 21:57:32
    Changed:
    when entering Visual mode, the camera is no longer positioned at "Visual Mode
    camera" thing when "Sync camera position between 2D and 3D mode" setting is
    enabled.
Now, when you place a Visual Mode Camera thing into the map, going into 3D view will start there but is not displayed at the last position when going back to 2D. Instead, the Visual Mode Camera thing stays where it was placed and the cursor is pointing to the general area where you were last in 3D view.

If you need the precision, then you have to use r2410 or before.