Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BaronOfStuff

Phobos Is "Double-Doomed" (hurr hurr hurrrrrrr....)

No, not because some idiot is fooling around with inter-dimensional gateway travel, it's far less exciting than that. So sayeth the boffins at NASA at least after the discovery of 'stretch marks':
Oh no the setting for KDITD will have to be changed at some point far into the future!

"NASA and other agencies are looking at missions to Phobos as a steppingstone to human missions to Mars." Well you'd better hurry up, because it turns out we may actually have less than the 30 - 50 million years believed before Phobos would smash into Mars itself.

I thought this was already known for quite some time now. Then again, astronomy is like the one area of science I knew a decent amount as a kid and still do to this day.

I think the discovery here is what the stretch marks mean, rather than the fact that Phobos is breaking apart, which we knew anyway.

But not announcing it as a discovery of the latter as well wouldn't get as many people interested I guess :P

I thought I read it was only 50 thousand years to that happening.

But Phobos is being ripped apart by tidal forces anyway. So that will happen first.

BaronOfStuff said:

30 - 50 million years believed before Phobos would smash into Mars

Another possibility is Phobos breaking apart to form a ring around Mars, which would be an interesting sight.

With Doom we will have to switch Deimos around with Phobos then, make out that hell managed to save a chunk of the crashing Phobos and send it to hell instead of that part of Deimos.

Heh - replace Doomguy's weapons with an assortment of glue guns, then let's see how long he can hold things together.