Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What makes maps keyboarder-unfriendly?

As someone who spent a few years once playing Doom with keyboard only, I found the controls to be very natural in Doom vs. playing with Keyboard and Mouse. I played through a lot of megawads that way and if you use autoaim with or without the mouse you really aren't going to experience much of a difficulty curve on both sides. My post was meant to imply minor nitpicks but I think most people who play with keyboard may be doing it intentionally to make a slight impairment to themselves and make more casual doom maps more enjoyable. Deathmatch for example features much faster and unpredictable targets that can really make keyboard only play pretty frustrating. But monsters are slow moving brutes so having precision aim isn't going to seperate the men from the boys. That said I don't think spending too much time rethinking your map to support keyboard-only players versus keyboard+mouse players is really worth your time.

joe-ilya said:

What levels are you playing that have this?

The only time I encountered something like this was in dwango5 MAP02, and it's not even for SP.

Plutonia MAP10 is close (between 7 and 8 o'clock). I hadn't any specific example in mind. And yes, there is that 180 degrees turn key which I never use and gggmork uses 70 times per minute. However, it is not possible in vanilla, am I right?

Weapon switching has been the hardest aspect to UV-Max speed runs for me on the keyboard, which is the only way I play. I got so used to playing on skulltag which doesn't swap out all the newly acquired weaker weapons, so going to Prboom+ has made me tweak my weapon setup, which is all around my strafe keys. That 180 key just ends up confusing the hell out of me so I don't use it.

As a keyboarder, I've got to say that after experience pretty much everything becomes simple enough. The only complaints I have are when there are really precise strafe-50 jumps (generally take a few tries), or platforming like HR MAP31 (one of the worst map sections I've ever attempted). Even generally roaming with SR50 and rocket jumping are doable albeit with a lot more effort. I feel that people who play with mouse tend to overestimate how difficult it is to play with keyboard only because the shift from mouse to keyboard seems really drastic.

Biggest thing I get caught up on is just the slower turning speed, as being able to react to something instantly is super important in Doom. You learn to adjust your precision with your strafing momentum, although occasionally you may miss SSGing a chaingunner and then get torn to shreds.

For me it's really just the turning speed that's already been mentioned. The Map 'Onslaught' from Plutonia is a great example with the chaingunner behind the players starting position.

KB only is slightly more clunky for me, but as far as I'm aware I've never made anything a keyboarder couldn't beat. If the line is that fine for a portion of a map to be beaten, then that particular mapping decision needs to be reconsidered, IMO.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

How could you guys get to control Doom that ease with only keyboard, i certainly couldn't .

Practice makes perfect.

With that being written, I suspect that playing with mouse + keyboard is objectively superior, or at the very least, easier to get into.