Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Andy Johnsen

Alignment question

So, I'm using / abusing a few custom textures with oddball non standard sizes. ZDoom displays them fine, DoomBuilder preview mode and GZDoom do not however. I had to tweak around manually to get it aligned in ZDoom since the editor did not agree. Is this a common problem when one stray from the more conventional texture sizes? Whats the reason why GZDoom takes issues with it where as ZDoom seems not to.

It was tweaked to fit the particular piece of scenery so the size is not very ideal. 289 x 215.

I've written off compatibility with almost any port but ZDoom by now, but was hoping GZDoom would be kept in the loop, mainly because of performance issues in ZD :)

Texture dimensions (both width and height) should be a power of 2, otherwise they won't tile properly (except for ports that specifically handle it, like ZDoom). In vanilla, the restrictions are even stricter: Texture height must be exactly 128, otherwise the texture won't properly tile vertically.

Boom-based ports can handle non-power-of-2 heights properly.

Modern ZDoom versions can handle non-power-of-2 heights properly, but older versions (including, I believe, Zandronum and ZDaemon) will gag on them and render a black line in between each vertical repetition, along with a random 1px horizontal offset.

ZDoom has some support for non-power-of-2 widths, but it seems a bit hacky. Non-Zdoomy ports require power-of-2 widths, and will simply crop the texture to the next smallest power-of-2 width. (i.e. a 24-wide texture will be tiled every 16 pixels)

OpenGL renders can be iffy with odd sizes, dependent partially on your graphics card's capabilities.

Thank you both for the input. Seems like it will be hairy to go for GZDoom comp. if it's that iffy depending on settings / cards etc. I should probably have figured this out at an earlier point when I started playing into ZDooms acceptance of these.

Would it be out of the question to blow the image up to 256x256? I don't mean like stretching it but perhaps pasting the image onto 256x256 dimensions and then just leaving the rest of the area blank, and just use alignments to put the texture where you want it.

I could help you with that if you'd like :)

Thanks a lot for offering 40oz :) I wouldn't want to burden anyone with cleaning up my mess though, I would very much appreciate your input on gameplay and tweaks when its near completion, if you'd be available for that!

I am indeed trying to tweak a few textures by adding borders now, it was a lazy decision initially to not do so. Unfortunately I abused this in several parts of the map so I'll have to see how much rework is needed before I commit to it.

This is what happens when you give us old geezers too much freedom. :)