Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Play two copies of Doom at the same time?

Is it possible to play two copies of Doom at the same time and have both of them respond to the mouse\keyboard input? Then you could try challenges like completing Plutonia Map 07 and 21 simultaneously.

As i know when you launch a exe - it adds to 'Task Manager'. And when you're trying launch the same exe again, it checks - exist whether this application in Task Manager or not.
If yes - ignore, if no - launch...
So... You need change program name inside Task Manager somehow but i'm sure exist better and easy way than this.

Well, in Windows XP it lets me to run two copies of prboom-plus at the same time, but I'm not sure how to make it so that I control both simultaneously. Is that possible to set up? I think it would be an awesome/hilarious challenge.

Memfis said:

but I'm not sure how to make it so that I control both simultaneously. Is that possible to set up?

You must go deeper! Khm. Shortly, if you select the folder (for example) you can press UPARROW key or any and you will see something? Right?
OK... What it means? It means that when you selected your folder, you can't do same thing on another folder (which is not selected).
SO... You need use program which will send one action to mentioned folders/exe.
What a program is i don't know but i guess it not a big deal write it on C++ or Python but don't ask me for it...

I tried to once as an experiment to see if I could arrange split screen multiplayer. I forget the details but I had a graphics card problem across many computers that didn't allow both games to display at the same time even when windowed or in low resolutions.

I don't know the specifics though so it could have been doom or it could have been my hardware.

The main problem would be input focus. Normally each windowed application gets exclusive user input focus when it's on the foreground, and "consumes" input events that the OS sends its way, so you would have to switch back and forth between apps continuously.

If you do this swapping fast enough, you might get the illusion that you're controlling them both at the same time. It's certainly possible to code a helper utility which round-robins focus between specific windows (it probably already exists) or that intercepts user input and then broadcasts it to multiple other applications, as if each of them had exclusive input focus.

Yes it is possible. I've done it before. But I outright refuse to tell anyone how. I have beaten every possible combination of 2 iwad levels. Also, I recorded the attempt and sold dvds of it on ebay for large sums of money which I used for hookers and beer. Pretty much everyone has seen the dvd except you (you know who you are).

Piper Maru said:

If you could own three copies of Timecop, could you watch all three of them at the same time?

Why in fuck's name would you even want to watch one copy of Timecop, never mind three?

Azuruish said:

As i know when you launch a exe - it adds to 'Task Manager'. And when you're trying launch the same exe again, it checks - exist whether this application in Task Manager or not.
If yes - ignore, if no - launch...
So... You need change program name inside Task Manager somehow but i'm sure exist better and easy way than this.

Not all of them, You can for instance run Zandronum more than twice .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Not all of them, You can for instance run Zandronum more than twice .

Yeah... Not all Applications checks (PRBoom too) and better avoid this as it's really overload the system

Sounds like it would be easier to do on a custom source port or something so that both screens are on the same exe and inputting won't be an issue. Of course, that would require enough demand for such a thing for anyone to bother.

Easiest way to do this out of the box is to use any source port with peer to peer net code. Just launch them with different IWADs then coop-spy on the other client (ignore the desync message if applicable). Works with ZDoom at least. Not exactly what was requested, but I doubt any port is going to make this a feature.