Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

Which software do you use for sprites and textures?

Hey, I am curious about the software you use to make sprites and textures from scratch.

if you are going for doom style than photoshop or gimp are the best options (both are equally good if your using a predetermined color pallete, but if youre using true color photoshop is better because of adjustment layers). if youre going for a pixel art style than paint.net is enough

Um, I forgot something, how do I make a custom palette?

BTW, do you use a graphics tablet or use tools to make sprites and textures from scratch?

iirc you can make a new pallete in slade by opening a playpal lump (use freedoom if you dont have another iwad handy)and you can modify color by color in there. to get it in photoshop you can export the pallete as a pallete file such as pal wich you can then import in photoshop.

about the graphic tablet, if you are going for pixel art style you dont need it, except maybe to sketch out the sprite, but if you are going for doom style than your going to want a tablet. its still posible to do without one of course, but it becomes a lot more time consuming

JXC said:

Um, I forgot something, how do I make a custom palette?

In SLADE 3: archive->new->PLAYPAL

You can edit each color directly by right-clicking them, but it'll quickly be tedious. You can use the various tools (tweak, colorize, etc.) to affect the whole palette or entire ranges of it.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1244051