Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

It's very possible that Brandon D. Lade could be impersonating you somewhere

mrthejoshmon said:

2: I have never used the IRC, what is it?

Might be a late reply but,
Internet Relay Chat. It's kind of like a chatroom but in application form. Some examples of IRC channels and networks are OFTC - #DTWID, Quakenet - #Terrafusion

There are loads of IRC applications out there, such as Hexchat.

dew said:

Interesting. kmx is our resident ladespotter, because BDL keeps harassing him over review requests and cacoward nominations the most. Some time ago we started discussing if Veinen could be BDL, because there were some obvious cross-posts and links with known BDL aliases across forums, blogs and IRC/twitch chans, including Ohio IPs. Yet my experience ties Veinen from here, who's definitely no short-term sockpuppet, to Finland...

So, uh, looks like BDL acquired a new malicious tactic to get people's attention. Don't trust anyone. Ever. Especially if they're from Ohio.

to be fair, the thought that brandon would impersonate other community members never occured to me, because wtf

kmxexii said:

to be fair, the thought that brandon would impersonate other community members never occured to me, because wtf

Yeah, Brandon's always been pretty harmless. Sure, he's been too "enthusiastic" (to put it nicely) about getting opinions from people. Impersonating someone else is on another level and is more malicious than anything else he's done, at least as far as I know...

Well, he also threatened to report people for not helping him with finding secrets lol. (not that it would do anything but still)

I'm scared of posting here in case he sees it and copies my cool internet name and goes on IRC channels I don't even know how to connect to and uses it to sign up to forums I never use either.

Memfis said:

Well, he also threatened to report people for not helping him with finding secrets lol.

To whom? The Internet Police?

I haven't posted on IRC, so any comments that may have appeared there beside my name can be disregarded, and I've no objections to the poster being abused/kicked/banned. I thought Brandon was harmless, but masquerading as other community members takes things to another level.

Can confirm, this zdoom forum user is BDL, as he's using an IP address that coincides with what AD_79 has posted. Granted, this user hasn't done anything to break rules there yet, so I've suggested that "Veinen"'s name be changed to Brandon instead.

OFTC and FreeNode offer nick protection (which I use), so anyone who attempts to use a nick which is under such protection will have their name forcibly changed if they fail to identity to services after a short delay (before their connection was closed kicking them off the network but that changed). OFTC at least if this does happen to a user, they cannot change to that nick because the network does not permit it. NickServ and /info on a user will tell you if said person is registered or not. Usually active IRC users will register their nicks so that they own it.

Also, each name on a network is unique, so two users cannot use the same name on the same network.

WildWeasel said:

Can confirm, this zdoom forum user is BDL, as he's using an IP address that coincides with what AD_79 has posted. Granted, this user hasn't done anything to break rules there yet, so I've suggested that "Veinen"'s name be changed to Brandon instead.

Stealing another community member's identity isn't considered a rule violation?

esselfortium said:

Well, what else would I do about it? Banning him would mean the real Veinen still wouldn't be able to use his own name there, and warning him would be stupid because it's not like users can actually change their own names.

I mean, it's not as if BDL has (so far) done anything to actively damage the real Veinen's reputation at ZDF.

WildWeasel said:

Banning him would mean the real Veinen still wouldn't be able to use his own name there,

What about changing his name, then banning him?

GreyGhost said:

To whom? The Internet Police?

I think Doomworld used to have a "report to mod" button.

esselfortium said:

From what I can see, he isn't writing anything like "hey guys I'm THAT Veinen from Doomworld". So technically, he could pass it off as just really liking the nickname and being lucky enough to register it first imo.

Maybe he is doing this just because he finds it difficult to come up with a new nickname? Could be another disorder of his.

Memfis said:

I think Doomworld used to have a "report to mod" button.

That it did (and it slipped my mind), until abuse of the function by compulsive button pushers prompted its removal. I wonder if Brandon was one of the culprits?

Memfis said:

From what I can see, he isn't writing anything like "hey guys I'm THAT Veinen from Doomworld". So technically, he could pass it off as just really liking the nickname and being lucky enough to register it first imo.

AD_79 said:

"Once Veinen stopped posting in DWMC threads I took his name". He then joined as a different user, Hurricyclone, which as you know is Getsu Fune's old username. Then he got kicked.

Rrrrrighto!

Memfis said:

Maybe he is doing this just because he finds it difficult to come up with a new nickname? Could be another disorder of his.

Grazza said:

MegaDoomer (2010-11)/Do0minat0r (2009)/Kak Home (May 3, 2009 - banned immediately)/Brandon D. Lade (2008-09)/Hert Malker (2004)/Joe Todd (2002)

Sure thang! (I remember "The Boulder" being another immediatelly banned BDL alt, so add that to the list.)

Why are you even coming up with these terrible excuses for him? Is defence of all the bad your obsession?

I'm half-joking as usual (this whole thread, or heck, pretty much anything Brandon-related is comedy in my eyes), but in all honesty it doesn't seem to me like he means to harm the reputation of these people. Like really. If that was his goal, he could have done much worse things. But he's just asking for opinions as usual and he even clearly admits that he's using others' nicknames. Can't even call that impersonation.

But yeah, you're right about me defending bad\minorities. It's a little bit like Creaphis' "I will deliberately take a contrary position...": usually it's done just to light a spark and to add opposite views to a discussion that feels too one-sided. I think myk used to do this often.

printz said:

Bleh. No amount of deliberate impersonation is ever good or excusable.

You must really hate movies, books, and video games then.

Linguica said:

mmmm yes give me more of that irc drama

EDIT: Had a thought. Maybe it's time that someone impersonates BDL to reset the equilibrium

Ralphis said:

EDIT: Had a thought. Maybe it's time that someone impersonates BDL to reset the equilibrium

Have you played Action Doom 2? What were your thoughts on it?

Quasar said:

It didn't have enough stars on the idgames archive database interface, so I have not played it, sorry.

Ralphis said:

I don't think it would do any good

Quasar said:

No. It was terrible because it does not run on my 68k toaster oven.

Maybe Brandon D. Lade is that guy that posed as an entire team of mappers, a French girl, a Tumblr poster suspecting him of posing as said team of mappers, and about 10 other people, up to his old tricks again.

Jaxxoon R said:

Maybe Brandon D. Lade is that guy that posed as an entire team of mappers, a French girl, a Tumblr poster suspecting him of posing as said team of mappers, and about 10 other people, up to his old tricks again.

Maybe mattbratt11 is his alternate personality. It wouldn't surprise me.

Obsidian said:

Maybe mattbratt11 is his alternate personality. It wouldn't surprise me.

Speaking of alternate personalities, has anyone ever seen BDL and Windmill/Girl1001 in the same Twitch chat at the same time? I know their obsessions are different, but their methods of bugging other Twitch users are very similar.. Or maybe I'm just being crazy?

Dave The Daring said:

Speaking of alternate personalities, has anyone ever seen BDL and Windmill/Girl1001 in the same Twitch chat at the same time? I know their obsessions are different, but their methods of bugging other Twitch users are very similar.. Or maybe I'm just being crazy?

yeah they both come to mine at the same time regularly.