Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Which level editor would you recommend to me?

the scope of the project. gzdoombuilder is for making maps, not managing resources. such features would greatly change the way the tool is used and also how the codebase is developed.

Dragonfly said:

EZ = Easy when pronounced audibly.

Unless you're Briton or Canuck and then you say "Eased Doom".

Dragonfly said:

That is the ONLY feature of Deepsea worth noting.

Which begs the question, why don't other editors such as CTBEFD/GZDB have a built in lump editor? It would streamline the process quite considerably for mappers. I guess working in 'proper PK3' format somewhat eradicates the need for a lump editor?

SLADE 3 is a thing.

But it would be a lot more convenient to have it in the same program you map in. Would be awesome to be able to create new textures from patches on the go, I would do it very often if it was that convenient. But currently choosing from existing textures is simply too time efficient compared to creating new ones. Same with REJECT tricks, etc: they are possible but too inconvenient to do.

And for all you haters, Eternal always praised Deepsea. There, now you can't dislike it.

Dave The Daring said:

What about EZDoom Builder? That's bound to attract potential new Doom mappers.

mmmm-hmmmm, EZDoom Builder... sounds catchy
I like it

T-Rex said:

Anything but DeepSea. I once tried to use that level editor years ago, but it was so confusing that I gave up on it and deleted it from my hard drive.

My experience wasn't as good. I ordered DeepSea by mail a decade ago (I think), and it took FOREVER for it to come... on the plus side, I did get a written apology and an upgraded version. Still, not worth my $34.

HavoX said:

mmmm-hmmmm, EZDoom Builder... sounds catchy
I like it

My experience wasn't as good. I ordered DeepSea by mail a decade ago (I think), and it took FOREVER for it to come... on the plus side, I did get a written apology and an upgraded version. Still, not worth my $34.

I had access to the freeware version, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. No way I was going to shell up money for a level editor I might not even like. To anyone who can use DeepSea with no problem, my hat's off to you.

Maybe it was worth money back then but now I don't see any reason to spend that much money on a level editor when things like Slade and Doombuilder are available freely.

I learned to use doombuilder 1 using dr.sleep's tutorials. Took me a day or two to understand the basics so I think it's a very user-friendly.

Memfis said:

And for all you haters, Eternal always praised Deepsea. There, now you can't dislike it.

Who?

Kappes Buur said:

Is there really a need for that?
GZDoom Builder features are explained in a help file (Refmanual.chm), which is included with each new release.

And all of the Doom 2 enemies are explained in the manual, all of the sourceports are explained by some guy if you ask him. There's no need for a wiki at all then, by that logic.

Gez said:

Unless you're Briton or Canuck and then you say "Eased Doom".

Or just 'Ezdoom' (ɛzduːm), which sounds just as fucking ridiculous.

Dragonfly said:

I was answering who the mapper was, mind you.

I don't believe Bloodshedder's reply was meant to blame you.

After giving some thought, I considered that Eureka might probably be the right level editor for me to use as I don't really want to do anything fancy, just fun vanilla compatible levels, and if anything above, probably Boom. I hope it runs well on older Windows OSs like 98.

Linguica said:

What's that I hear on the wind againGZDB should change its naaaame

Doom Builder 2.1, because it still uses the Doom Builder 2 UI, just with more features and bug fixes.