Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doombringer - Looking for testers and sound designer.

So I decided to make a new thread for this because I don't want it to just disappear in the development updates of the previous thread.

Testers wanted

I am looking for people interested in playing the game in vs mode where I spectate and then take notes. After which we will discuss what you think and what your experiences of the game was.

Please realise that the game is still very much in development and a lot of assets and features are still missing. But I need to test out the game play so that it is as close to what I want it to be before I start making any public announcements on other arenas for ArenaFPS games like Doombringer and it's ilk.

It's preferable if you have previous experience and knowledge of the meta game in games like the Quake series. But also Doom 2 dueling. It also helps if you are in and around the area of northern europe.

Sound designer wanted
We are two people working on this project. One artist and one programmer. But neither of us are really sound designers and our experience in this field leaves a lot to be desired.

I've myself been doing the sound effects. But I feel that my limitations in the area are hampering the progress.

So with that in mind I am making a role call for anyone who is interested in filling this position.

So if you are interested in taking part in making a standalone game with inspiration from Doom2 and the Quake series. Just post in this thread or pm me, whichever you prefer works for me.

If you need a hand in sound design, I could probably do it.

Currently, my only bit of portfolio work in that regard is The Adventures of Square. I could also provide other example of work, if need be.

I'm not too smart on the sound design thing, but I have played guitar for about 28 years. Do you need some original music or what? I've got some good shit and it's evil/Doom quality. Here's a vid of some covers and original shit.

kristus said:

Testers wanted

I am looking for people interested in playing the game in vs mode where I spectate and then take notes. After which we will discuss what you think and what your experiences of the game was.

Sign me up, got a pseudo-community who'd probably like to give this an extended test session on Saturdays.

Fake edit:
And most of us are in Northern Europe, which is only a bonus I suppose.

MTrop said:

If you need a hand in sound design, I could probably do it.

Currently, my only bit of portfolio work in that regard is The Adventures of Square. I could also provide other example of work, if need be.

I tried out The Adventures of Square and I really liked it. Will definitely play more of that.

Would be great to have you making the sounds for Doombringer. I'm gonna send you a PM in a moment.

Ashstrodamus: Sorry, but not currently.

BaronOfStuff: That's great. If you can schedule a session for next saturday I would appreciate it. I'll hold off uploading a copy of the game since it will probably have been updated by then anyway so I would have to upload it all over again for the latest version to be tested.

The project looks awesome! I would gladly test for it but I cannot garuntee I will be available when you are testing. I am in the UK so there should not be any time issues. Just tell me when your testing and ill see what i can do. ;)

I could probably test too. I'm in Finland, played lots of QL and test my own projects quite a lot...

This might interest you: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2ynqyo/10gb_of_highquality_game_audio_free_download/
Some of it may be useful, some sound just like some filler, and some (or all) of them could have been just 44KHz to decrease file size... There's only 600+ sounds in it. But still, I think it could be a good place to start experimenting on making new sound effects from them.

Though I'm in the US, I suppose I could always offer feedback.

I've done QA work for commercial products before, most notably, assisting in overhauling gamepad input in Postal 2: Paradise Lost.

Caffeine Freak said:

id Tech 3(Quake 3: Arena) engine, I take it?

No, darkplaces engine -- which is what Nexuiz / Xonotic uses (though they have a few tweaks and fixes to the engine).

That sounds very good Gecko. But, I've already invited MTrop to join the project. So I'm sorry that I have to decline your offer.

As for the engine. We're as Andrew said using Darkplaces, which is an engine based on Quake 1. But the map format is from Quake 3.

Potential session's arranged with my group of would-be testers, in that it'll take place instead of our usual fooling around with whatever games from any time after 7PM GMT on Saturday. I would be more specific with the exact number of players who'll be present from the start etc. but it's all so very haphazard and casual. Still, should be a decent enough number throughout for a session.

I've got a diverse group of experienced multiplayers who are honest and critical. You might know them as Unidoom ;]

Hit me up if interested

So this Saturday's testing session isn't off to a smashing start. But anyone who is interested in taking part with some FFA fun. You're welcome to join #doombringer on irc.

Thanks to all who showed up today. Had a good time playing the game. Even in this very basic state.

Also gave me a lot of data to process. Had some good discussions and comments to consider about the game to take into consideration for developing it forward.

I'm pretty good at deliberately and accidentally breaking games if that's what you're looking for in a tester. I'm in the UK so ping shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're in northern Europe which I assume refers to Scandinavia.

At this point, the testing is really to explore the game play, rather than finding bugs. We're still developing the game and bug hunts at this time is really not a priority.

Rocket blast radius/power is definitely more than what I'm generally used to in arena FPS games, but I actually kinda like it here. It's different, not the same 3ft-wide explosion as seen in Q3 or UT.

Good fun overall, even if I did spend more time in one map floating in the void rather than actually fighting (today I learned that I really do suck at air control).

Well. I had to narrow it down a bit. It's still wider than in QL. But not as nuclear weaponish as before. :p