Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Voros

Blitz Basic souceport?

Could it be possible to build a Doom sourceport on Blitz3D/BlitzMax?
Maybe not in WAD format for the game or mods/maps, but extracting the the files inside the original WADs and taking the ones needed to run the game, like sprites and sounds.
Maybe a special DLL that can read WAD files directly, so less hassle.
And for maps, there could be a system where all the 3D rooms are made as the base, then a text file has the information on the arrangement of each map (like SCP Containment Breach).
And with new badass MP3 music to play through a specific map?
Maybe with some development, all this and more could be possible.

Would it work?

So, you want a "source port" that can only play IWAD maps (possibly other, but only specific ones), comes with textfiles describing each of the maps, and custom music for each of them? I personally wouldn't be interested in such a "port".

As for porting Doom to Blitz3D - no idea how difficult/possible would it be, or what would be its benefits. Making it read WAD files and reliably build maps from the map datas in the WAD would be a start.

You need to study how Doom engine parses any Wad lump format (LINEDEFS,SIDEDEFS,SECTORS,THINGS,BEHAVIOR, And graphics of any kind "Flats,Sprites ...etc") After that you "might" be able to construct a Similar method to parse them through the Blitz3D .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Dunno if there's such sourceport but other examples exist such as Mochadoom on Java.

There was also a UDMF map loader built on unity , it was called "Impes" idk if it's still in development but it's the only thing i could find .

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/71670-impes-development/

I know there isnt one, which is why im asking.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You need to study how Doom engine parses any Wad lump format (LINEDEFS,SIDEDEFS,SECTORS,THINGS,BEHAVIOR, And graphics of any kind "Flats,Sprites ...etc") After that you "might" be able to construct a Similar method to parse them through the Blitz3D .

I dont think that Blitz3D will work in 2.5D like id Tech 1...
Sectors, linedefs and etc. can be used as just in the 3D model rooms that were made.
Things could be...umm, Entities right? And behaviour would be a part of the entities or a seperate Function.

With help from Collision for the rooms.

With the little knowledge i've got from using Blitz3D i know it's possible .

EDIT : What i mean is you don't necessarily need your map to be drawn in 2.5D, you can use the Cubes method .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

With the little knowledge i've got from using Blitz3D i know it's possible .

I know anything is possible with Blitz3D,
But would the final product work efficiantly over time?

SCP CB still has a few bugs here and there, but it still works great and modding absolutely possible with the source code available.
BTW, how does the Function work and how can i use it?

If Unity can run UDMF maps, Blitz3D shouldnt be a problem, although a pain in the ass for the programmer...