Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What's the story with the default avatars?

Eris Falling said:

I'm sure he only passed 7500 like a couple of days ago. I'm also fairly sure he only overtook me this year :P

I posted quite a lot this year, I admit, I noted my postcount at January 1st 2015 and the postcount was exactly 3099, no mistake in either the date or the number.

EDIT: Yep, this is my 8000th post right here.

:)

His posting in Editing has been most impressive and deserving of a sweet-assed custom title.

bytor said:

His posting in Editing has been most impressive

That would be Gez's posting moreso than mine, but thanks.

*Gez and Graf Zahl are other posters with very high post counts and no custom titles, so what, the "Why don't I have a custom title by now?!" is fine.

If it were up to me, doomworld should follow the Memento Mori submission rules where you had to submit a body of work to be considered to be enlisted in the project. You wanna come here and spread your stupid political agenda? Why dont you make us a fuckin map first. Then we'll talk.

It seems getting an official custom avatar to identify yourself with is a reward for spamposting on these forums. I put a lot more weight on peoples opinions who rarely post at all.

40oz said:

If it were up to me, doomworld should follow the Memento Mori submission rules where you had to submit a body of work to be considered to be enlisted in the project. You wanna come here and spread your stupid political agenda? Why dont you make us a fuckin map first. Then we'll talk.

What "project" is it here? Membership on the forum? Being allowed to post in Everything Else? Being allowed to discuss non-Doomy things?

scifista42 said:

That would be Gez's posting moreso than mine, but thanks.

Agreed, Gez is awesome, too.

but i only dabble with editors and mostly play Doom so I guess my opinions don't count here and are deserving of attacks, name-calling, and the like from the elitists

40oz said:

And what, O' Gatekeeper, of the people who aren't interested in mapping (or havent been in a long time)? I don't need to prove I'm a True Scotsman to post on a dumb forum. :P

bytor said:

Agreed, Gez is awesome, too.

but i only dabble with editors and mostly play Doom so I guess my opinions don't count here and are deserving of attacks, name-calling, and the like from the elitists

Haha while the Doom World community can leave a bit of a edgy vibe with many strong opinions that can conflict, I think our attitude also indirectly protects one another from unjustly attacks and offensive troll like behavior. The moderators deal with problematic people anyway.

So you haven't submitted any maps? Ah well, some of my first posts straight out offended slaughter-map fans, started a Brutal Doom debate and I only submit wads strictly requiring Brutal Doom and I'm still not treated like a social pariah.

scifista42 said:

What "project" is it here? Membership on the forum? Being allowed to post in Everything Else? Being allowed to discuss non-Doomy things?

The story of Memento Mori is that whoever it was that organized the project required that the people who submitted maps to the project had to have a mapping background -- a resume, so to speak that shows they are capable of creating a GOOD doom map.

If I could have my way, a doom forum should require that members upload a map or two they made to /idgames before they're allowed to sign up to the forums. In a way, I'd be asking for people to prove that they are here for Doom, and not just to skate by the forum rules and get away with posting dumb opinions or picking unimportant arguments about things unrelated to Doom. I feel like if you want to come to these forums and talk, you have to have something to contribute. One map should suffice.

It's too sloppy to make serious policy out of. (by that rationale, anyone could make a wow.wad and unlock their forum registration) but if things were my way, that's how it would be done.

I'm glad that things aren't going your way. I haven't made a map in ages, haven't had anything "published" to /idgames in probably a decade. I'm here because I love Doom and even though I don't really play much anymore and don't have a "body of work," I don't need to prove my love to anyone. Especially not elitists like you.

40oz said:

If it were up to me, doomworld should follow the Memento Mori submission rules where you had to submit a body of work to be considered to be enlisted in the project.

The number of shitty /pol/.wad knock-offs would increase a thousand fold overnight should this be implemented.

I tried to upload a new avatar a couple of days ago, but no matter what file I tried it just says its not a valid jpg or gif. Whats up with that?

Memfis said:

The 250 post requirement is ridiculous imo. I would understand 25 maybe but even that would be kinda unnecessary. I like when new people come to a web forum and they are able to immediately create their own identity by setting a unique avatar.

It should be higher, IMO. There was a time when custom avatars weren't even a user option and were instead granted by the mods for various reasons.

40oz said:

The story of Memento Mori is that whoever it was that organized the project required that the people who submitted maps to the project had to have a mapping background -- a resume, so to speak that shows they are capable of creating a GOOD doom map.

If I could have my way, a doom forum should require that members upload a map or two they made to /idgames before they're allowed to sign up to the forums. In a way, I'd be asking for people to prove that they are here for Doom, and not just to skate by the forum rules and get away with posting dumb opinions or picking unimportant arguments about things unrelated to Doom. I feel like if you want to come to these forums and talk, you have to have something to contribute. One map should suffice.

It's too sloppy to make serious policy out of. (by that rationale, anyone could make a wow.wad and unlock their forum registration) but if things were my way, that's how it would be done.

what about spriters or musicians or texturers who dont map? poeple like that can still be into doom without mapping

40oz said:

If only there was a super secret forum of this exact nature that I was a member of and you weren't.

Oh, wait.

My original Avatar was the Doom eyeball green thing. I used it for so long I switched to a fish version at some point. After that I can't seem to settle on a long lasting avatar. Even this Cacolantern is outdated. I'm looking for the perfect fish avatar.

raymoohawk said:

what about spriters or musicians or texturers who dont map? poeple like that can still be into doom without mapping

i've rarely mapped either. it just never stuck to me that much.

Memfis said:

The 250 post requirement is ridiculous imo. I would understand 25 maybe but even that would be kinda unnecessary. I like when new people come to a web forum and they are able to immediately create their own identity by setting a unique avatar.

Dunno, I just don't see much point to avatars.

Gez said:

I just think it makes the forum a lot more interesting to look at, personally.

Any minute now, Linguica will pop in, and announce that he's raised the post-requirement to 666, just in spite of our complaining.

40oz said:

If I could have my way, a doom forum should require that members upload a map or two they made to /idgames before they're allowed to sign up to the forums.

Man, I feel depressed reading this. :-(

You don't need to build a house to talk about houses. I think everyone can give opinions about map design, provided they speak rationally and civilized. And I guess a lot of us have interest in map design.

I saw Memfis saying something similiar in other thread too and I just can't understand:

Memfis said:

I like the part where nobodies with two and a half (and most likely shitty) levels released preach about mapping.

What's happening here?

I think most of us have a lot of potential to talk about creative processing in general, either because of mapping knowledge (even if basic), other types of artistic creation or even using the player perspective to talk (if the person never touched the DB).

Can you explain better what you are trying to say? Sorry, but with all due respect, this just sounds bad and a little elitist. Maybe I'm not understanding at all.

At least I already tried to contribute with some music, perhaps I am not in your list. =P

Gez said:

If a user sticks with the same one for awhile, I can identify the author of a post at a glance. And possibly ignore it, depending on who the author is. Easier than maintaining an ignore list.

40oz said:

If I could have my way, a doom forum should require that members upload a map or two they made to /idgames before they're allowed to sign up to the forums.

Here are some people for the purge, then:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/members/john%20carmack/
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/members/Aubrey%20Hodges/

I think we can all agree that these non-mappers should never have been allowed to sign up to the forums.