Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

3d floor teleporter

Hey guys. Still learning to Doom. :P

I'm trying to make a 3D floor into a teleporter. I can already teleport to the 3D floor, but going back the other way is kind of a problem--it works on the real floor underneath as well as where it's supposed to. Is there a way to restrict the action so that you don't go anywhere when you walk under the teleporter? The simpler the better, so that I can wrap my tiny brain around it.

No luck on that front, unless I need to give it some special tag or arguments. I had been trying "actor hits fake floor", and that doesn't work either.

I'm very confused. Mine looks like the demo, but no dice. I can't help but think there's some detail I'm missing in the demo. It targets the right mapspot tag, it's in the dummy sector, I don't see what else is needed.

rabidrage said:

It targets the right mapspot tag

Mapspots are not teleport destinations. Teleport destinations are teleport destinations.

I actually didn't know about the "actor hits floor" thing. Whenever I had a linedef trigger on a 3D floor, I'd just execute a script and check the player's height, but this method is much better, so thanks Jaxxoon and BaronOfStuff.

Edward850 said:

Mapspots are not teleport destinations. Teleport destinations are teleport destinations.

Understood. However, that's what I mean. The teleport destination has a tag of 102. The Actorhitsfloor Thing has its first argument "Target MapSpotTag" set to 102. Is that the wrong way to do it?

rabidrage said:

Maybe I should add that my teleporter is a raised platform sitting inside another 3D floor.

???

rabidrage said:

Does it make a difference?

Probably yes?

Post your map, please.

Dave The Daring said:

I actually didn't know about the "actor hits floor" thing. Whenever I had a linedef trigger on a 3D floor, I'd just execute a script and check the player's height, but this method is much better, so thanks Jaxxoon and BaronOfStuff.

I know it's unlikely, but doesn't it mean someone can 'fall onto' your teleporter (from above platform, RJ or other means) without triggering it?

Either way, this reflects what I love about Doom mapping - you literally can learn something new every day.

Dragonfly said:

I know it's unlikely, but doesn't it mean someone can 'fall onto' your teleporter (from above platform, RJ or other means) without triggering it?

Well it depends on the situation, but if there was a possibility of the player skipping the trigger, I'd just conduct a more vigorous height check, which would hopefully prevent such a problem from occurring.

Dave The Daring said:

Well it depends on the situation, but if there was a possibility of the player skipping the trigger, I'd just conduct a more vigorous height check, which would hopefully prevent such a problem from occurring.

What if he skipped the trigger to perform the height check?

scifista42 said:

What if he skipped the trigger to perform the height check?

In that case he'd just end up triggering the second linedef trigger that instantly kills the player. Simples.

Brutal.

Anyways, without derailing this thread too far (even though I was the cause of this!) - Back to rabidrage; have you successfully implemented a 3D Teleporter in your map now, or are you still looking for assistance? If you want any help feel free to PM myself or anyone else here who's offered a solution a copy of your level and we can assist.

Alright--so I'm pretty old-school and don't mind tangents in my posts. But on topic, I'm going to do a few things to make it so my level at least has an exit, then I'll share it. I've been reluctant to let anybody see it because it's still so incomplete and I don't want people to think it's going to be crap--especially because it uses a shit-ton of resources and the credits text lump is only very partially written at this point. I know it's only an upload for editing help, but I figure I might as well make it the 0.1 version of the WAD while I'm at it and let a few people see it.

It'll be up tomorrow after a few changes. Cool?

rabidrage said:

It'll be up tomorrow after a few changes. Cool?

You could just cut and paste the offending sections of the map so it can be analyzed. No need to bother posting a fully playable version if you don't want to release it as such just yet. I'm sure anybody here willing to help won't mind.

Well, part of the problem is that they're very far away from each other and to replicate the effect exactly might require parts of the map that I'll fail to copy and paste. Anyway, in a sense it's easier this way and it pushes me to work on other parts of it faster, which is a bonus.

Here we go! I've uploaded version 0.1 of my work in progress. It's currently a mess. The whole thing isn't textured properly, the level needs serious architecture work, there's lots of extraneous code and I've used a ton of resources but not nearly finished the credits yet. However, hopefully the mods I've pieced together as the bastard children of other mods make sense together, more or less. I'm open to everyone's thoughts on ways to improve this as well as a solution to my teleporter problem, so tangents are welcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4rrij7wp859auq/crazystation_v0.1.zip?dl=0

The teleporter having issues is located in sector 405. Oh yeah...and it's MAP01.

Like I said, there's redundant content that needs to be cleaned up. Of course, there are also hi-res textures and sprites, a few 3D models, some voxels...lots of resources, lots of space. On the other hand, 269MB is really only large in Doom WAD/mod terms, not in general, right?

Well, I used another map as a base, and that map happened to be in the JagDoom TC. So I never took the other maps out. Therefore it's a bunch of maps, but only one that I've edited.

Oh dear.

You might want to clean the WAD up & out and update the link with a less bloated demo, really. Even so, I very much doubt the Jagdoom TC is anywhere close to 270MB in size. Fuck, I don't think it even comes close to 27.

Cleanup is part of the plan for updates (0.2 and so on). It's hard for me because I'm still learning, but I want to do it and offer the leanest files possible. In the meantime, though, I'll count on there being just one person with a massive hard drive and fast internet to help me out. :)

Rabidrage, just make a copy of the wad, delete everything except the MAP01 map lumps from it, and upload that one. That's sufficient if all you want is help with one linedef/sector action.