Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Does everyone use WOOD10 as a ruler (texture-aligner)?

I mean, to align with? Anyone use a different texture to get their textures aligned? What about those 256, 512 or 1024 wide textures, which WOOD10 can't always help you all the way with?

Doom Builder displays line length when you draw linedefs, that's what I use as a ruler if I need it.

scifista42 said:

Doom Builder displays line length when you draw linedefs, that's what I use as a ruler if I need it.

Alright, "ruler" was perhaps a bit misguiding. "Texture-aligner" then.

I usually have the most luck with BROWN96 or BROWNGRN for the 32 height border at the top. The other ones I use are either GRAY5 or GRAY4 (whichever the one is with the two gray 64x64 squares) I also use any of the tan bricks that are 16-high.

Never really thought of this, interesting. I just try out different textures constantly and very rarely know which one to use before I make structures. If it doesn't fit, I try a new one or modify the sector or linedef to make the texture fit in case I find a good one. It's a messy, complex and totally random process at times! :)

Soundblock said:

Alright, "ruler" was perhaps a bit misguiding. "Texture-aligner" then.

How would I use such a "texture-aligner" if not as a convenient map-unit-measuring ruler? When I want to align textures, nothing* helps me better than checking lengths/heights/dimensions as numbers in the editor.

*Excluding autoalign feature.

Memfis said:

Somebody recommended using ICKWALL1, it's not too bad but could have been better.

I remember it, good for vertical alignment only, though. :)

Scifista once made a texture pack designed to make measurements and texture alignment easy but I'm not sure it ever took off. But the idea was to use these basic gray textures to get the faces and borders of the textures lined up right, then find and replace them with similar textures to texture your map right.

^

Idgames: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/blank-tx
Thread: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/71837-blank-tx-useful-placeholders-for-map-development-now-on-idgames/

The idea was different than you described, though. My idea was to let the mapper care about texturing as little as possible in early phase of the map's development. There is a Map Development Texture Pack on Realm667 that fits your description better than mine.

I guess everyone uses different techniques. To clarify on the way I do it (with that wood10) - I generally paste the color theme with some suitable textures to begin with, then pick the particular ones for the architecture. Once the right texture is on the wall, I do a search'n replace with wood10, which I find it easy to align to itself, mainly because of that large crossbar, which usually is a dead giveaway (bar very cramped spaces, where even wood10 fails). Once wood10 is aligned, I search'n replace back the texture that I wanted on there in the first place.

The textures wood10 can't do perfectly off the bat are longer textures of 256, 512 & 1024. I haven't found a very good large texture to align with in the stock textures. Because of the limited dimensions of wood10 (128x128), the above technique often aligns large textures to the center or fourth of the texture. For these textures (commonly, wide rock surfaces) I use the below 'custom' texture.

Soundblock said:

I guess everyone uses different techniques. To clarify on the way I do it (with that wood10) - I generally paste the color theme with some suitable textures to begin with, then pick the particular ones for the architecture. Once the right texture is on the wall, I do a search'n replace with wood10, which I find it easy to align to itself, mainly because of that large crossbar, which usually is a dead giveaway (bar very cramped spaces, where even wood10 fails). Once wood10 is aligned, I search'n replace back the texture that I wanted on there in the first place.

Oh!

No, I don't do this and probably never will.

If I already know the intended texture, I will align the texture itself. And if I don't know the texture yet, I will put a (usually non-tiling) placeholder.

I do something like this but not necessarily with that texture. I've used several but I can't remember which I preferred. I think it was that long grey texture with a groove down the middle. That wood one looks like it would work well though.

I tend to use GSTFONTn if the texture I'm gonna use is only 64 pixels wide. Gargoyle head makes it pretty clear what the horizontal offsets should be, and the blood pool serves the same purpose for the vertical offsets.

Actually isn't too bad for 128-wide, either, since if it looks off after replacement, generally I'm only going to be exactly 64 units off.

Soundblock said:

stuff about aligning textures

Ohhhhhhh, gotcha. Well in that case, no, because I'm now a veteran mapping scrub who has opted to just use the various Auto-Align features of the Doom Builder series. If upper/lower textures end up looking bad and/or won't align with everything around them then I break the walls up with some SUPPORT3 or something to make it easier to get it looking less shit.

Before then though (back when I was a mapping babby with DOS DEEP, etc.) I barely even paid attention to alignment.

I use zero as a texture alignerment and shape the geometry to fit the textures. Seems to work fairly well. If I need to some special alignment, I try to keep it simple like 16, 32, 64, their multiples or same in negative..

If I make some nature stuff, then I'll select the walls that I want aligned and hit the automagic button, hardly ever use this for any tech stuff. And upper/lower unpegs used/not used on both nature and tech stuff.. which ever setting looks better.