Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

What's the difference between doomwiki.org and doom.wikia.com

I've just realized that we have two wiki sites for doom. One is doomwiki.org, and the other one is doom.wikia.com. While these two sites seem similar, and I thought they were just a same site because of the similarity, I can see some differences; not just a site address, but the amount of pages, some minor differences for a same topic, etc. It seems like one of sites just forked the articles from original site to theirs. Why do we have two similar wiki sites, and which one is the original one?

And I wonder why the wikia one is keep changing to doomwiki one automatically while I'm writing the thread.

If I'm not mistaken, doom.wikia.com is the original one, but due to problems of unknown sorts to me, the wiki was essentially copied and forked over to doomwiki.org. As for why we actually have two wikis, you'd have to ask someone else.

Eris Falling said:

scifista42 said:

^ I was just about to post link to that article, and also this Quasar's post (because that one told me enough of what I wanted to know).

Ah, now I can see the story about it. Thanks for the answer. :)

antares031 said:

And I wonder why the wikia one is keep changing to doomwiki one automatically while I'm writing the thread.

I think it's been added to the list of naughty words that are automatically corrected/censored by the forum software.

GreyGhost said:

I think it's been added to the list of naughty words that are automatically corrected/censored by the forum software.

And the forum feature is still too easy to trick by using cyrillic characters in the middle of words, like this: dооm.wikiа.соm

scifista42 said:

And the forum feature is still too easy to trick by using cyrillic characters in the middle of words, like this: dооm.wikiа.соm

The purpose is to prevent linking, as we don't want to improve wikia rankings in search engines.
If you replace letters with lookalike chars, you won't get a functioning link, so that's not a problem.

^ May be true in this very case, but there are other words which the forum software censors automatically, surely for other reasons than to prevent linking.

It censors a common misspelling of "definite" (lern2spel); and a word that, regardless of its non-existence, would mean the exact opposite of what its users want to imply if it was a real word. It also used to censor XD but apparently no longer, perhaps because it had at least once been reported as breaking a link.

Gez said:

...a word that, regardless of its non-existence, would mean the exact opposite of what its users want to imply if it was a real word...

A word so non-existent that an example with (deliberately) altered spelling can't be provided? Fascinating!

The word in question could be "irregаrdless", without a cyrillic "a" in the middle like I typed it.

The word that exists is "regardless". People want to give it the ir- prefix for some reason, thus logically negating its meaning (like how irrespective is the contrary of respective) but they actually want it to mean the same thing as "regardless".

If Wikia was ousting the leadership of other their Wikias and replacing it with their own staff, sooner or later Doom would have been next (because of Doom 4/2016). These are people who have most likely only played Doom once and might not be that interested in performing actual research of how the game works. Wikia is also pretty much today a Geocities of Wikis.

Also, Wikia's skin is terribad and there are ads all over the place.

One thing which would be interesting is if Bethesda knights our Doom Wiki (doomwiki.org) and has it as an official wiki of sorts for Doom 4/2016. It would be cheaper for them compared to Wikia which would probably extort them, although Bethesda would hopefully pay for the increased bandwidth.

Also, most of the community has pretty much abandoned Wikia, but there are still editors for the Wikia still editing away though. Some pages have not been touched since the split or are completely horribly out of date (for example: Chocolate Doom is still 1.6.0, Odamex is 0.6.4).

Community backing is important, as an example you can see the quality of the Official Minecraft Wiki http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki compared to the Wikia one http://minecraft.wikia.com/.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I didn't even know, that one exist. Which one was first?

Do not know, however even if the Wikia one was first it is of much lower quality.

The one at gamepedia was first, and also carries the significant advantage of being recognized by the game's own developers as the official wiki. Particularly on the game's official website and the launcher.

Gez said:

The word that exists is "regardless". People want to give it the ir- prefix for some reason, thus logically negating its meaning (like how irrespective is the contrary of respective) but they actually want it to mean the same thing as "regardless".

Ain't nothing wrong with using double negatives to intensify a negative meaning rather than negate it. Nor with using non-standard language for rhetorical effect (as in "ain't"). Irregаrdless, the word is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary, which further states that it has existed since the mid-19th century. Don't bother challenging someone who adds "ir" to "regardless" in a Scrabble game: it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Wikipedia said:

Irregаrdless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795.[1] Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect" usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead.

With that said, if slang is acceptable in Scrabble, "Irregаrdless" should be as well by the same merit.

fraggle said:

Doomworld helpfully corrects WIkia links to point to the right place.

It does:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Alien_Vendetta
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Alien_Vendetta

doomwiki.org doomwiki.org/wiki/Alien_Vendetta

akdshiuashdiuasdoomwiki.orgaoishdiuashdiuasdsa

EDIT: Appears helpfully was misread as hopefully.

But anyone can just try to type out the hostname of the Wikia one.